Thoughts on the 5s Gold

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by echo44, Sep 23, 2013.

1. echo44 macrumors 6502

Well I went into the Apple store Friday night and picked up my
    5s space grey which I really love.

Than I saw it on display, The Gold 5s. Wow!! Was very surprised how beautiful
    it is. Just ordered one for my sister.

Looking back on one persons comments on this site about the Gold model
    " I will be surprised if Apple sells one single unit"

I think this phone really represents the genius of Apple. There really is no other phone that has this combo white and champaign color. It's unique look will
    result in amazing sale numbers especially when others start to see the phone on the street and become envious.

My prediction is Samsung will make a similar appearing phone in 3 months to copy Apple.

Finally i think here on mac rumors we get caught up in specs and what new features a phone will have, but for the general population they just want a phone that looks cool and classy and that works. I have a feeling the gold color
    is going to set sale records.

2. HarshK macrumors newbie

I have a space gray 5s (and loving it now!) - personally. However, I 'settled' for it, so the gold was my first choice. I concur your remarks of Apple doing a great job, however Samsung isn't usually the one who copies Apple's hardware/outerware design. I find it that HTC will try to duplicate the color, and I even remember reading somewhere that they were planning to do so.

3. urkel, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

urkel macrumors 68030

You forgot one thing... a majority of iPhone users have it in a case.

Dont get me wrong, I ordered a 5s in Gold but I'm not going to pretend that it's for any other reason than "After FOUR generations of the same design then any differentiator from the previous models is psychologically 'new' and fresh"

(Edit: Question withdrawn. I should know better than to mention Android)

4. echo44, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

echo44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I have played with Samsung s3 seemed cheap to me,
    didn't care for the operating system, and the screen has a color balance
    that is way off with a bluish tinge. Battery life was horrible.
    Reminds very much of the top of the line Samsung tv I bought last year
    cant remember the exact model i think it was the 8000 series 65"?
    After 1 week returned it. On the outside looked impressive than when you dig deep it was garbage! Poor color accuracy, terrible black levels. terrible
    inhomogeneity of the brightness with white bleed through on the edges.
    So typical IMO of the company's willingness to cut corners in quality in order to bring a certain level of technology to consumers at lower cost.( sorry I digress) I think lots of people can see and feel the difference in quality, probably why sales of the s4 were very disappointing. Samsung in their last quarter result meeting chalked it up to over saturation of the market. yet Apple turns around and cells 9 million phones in 3 days. People will pay for quality.

As far as the copy thing you would have to be blind living in a cave in the Antarctica with no electricity not to see how samsung and google have blatantly copied Apple. I can spend hours here giving examples.
    How original of Samsung "lets create a store within a store at best buy to showcase our products"
    On it goes.

PS
    I didnt use a case for my 5, do you have any statistics on what % use a case.

5. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Hardware, Software, user experience, OS stability, features, etc are a huge plus for the iPhone over Samsung and any other Android device out there.

I have used BOTH iOS and Android extensively so I'm not attached to either brand.

The ONLY advantage that Samsung has over Apple is their larger screen size. Once the iPhone 6 comes out with a rumored larger screen (4.5 or 4.7)....then Samsung, HTC, Moto and the rest of the Android "family" are going to be left in the dust. The only thing they will have left to brag about will be better 'battery life.'

Good luck with that.

6. LWP777 Suspended

I saw it in person today and I was really surprised at how gorgeous it was. I'm not really into the gold look but I will get the gold if it's available. I really like all the colors...just no 32GB Sprint phones in my area available. :(

7. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Unless you're a woman, a pimp or a you know what - stay away from the gold IP.

8. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

No, I don't know what.

And I ordered the gold.

9. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I bought on launch day. Wanted a gold 16GB but, of course, settled for space grey. On the way out I did mess with the gold that they had on display. It looked wonderful and I was certain I'd come back and exchange as soon as one was available.

Now, 3 days later I don't think I will. The space grey actually looks great to me and to be honest, I hate Apple stores. I know I'm probably giving apple exactly what they want by settling but I really don't want to be bothered with hunting down a gold phone and racing to the apple store. Just want to enjoy the phone

10. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

That's what they used to say about the white iPhone 3G!

I love the retro speak!

11. tharepairguy macrumors member

Or what? I'm quite happy with my gold iphone. It's not over the top or blingy. Subtle and classy. Didn't think I would like the color when it was announced but in person, it's nice...

Oh btw, I'm a man that doesn't let objects of certain color define my masculinity...

12. LWP777 Suspended

You're a real tough guy, aren't you?

13. Norcal. macrumors regular

I personally think it looks kinda tacky and doesn't blend well with the white. To each their own though.

14. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Is tough guy code for insecure teen?

15. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

16. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

17. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Piss looks like gold! Finkle is Einhorn.

18. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Apple executed the gold color really well. Just not something I would personally purchase though!

19. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

My piss looks like platinum.

20. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Nah......well maybe. I was being sarcastic and saying what others have said about the gold iPhone. Obviously it went over some of your heads.

21. redshadow macrumors member

Spoken like a person who hasn't used android since it hit 4.0

Hate to tell you...but android is plenty stable in its own right. And none of the points you mentioned are really great examples of how the iPhone is better...but rather just troll drivel.

There are plenty of reasons to grab an android device (screen size being one...and last I checked, a note 2 still destroys any other device on sheer battery life alone)...just like there are plenty for iPhones.

It's all about choice...and all of us are interested in apple this go around.

22. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Sarcasm is one of those things that doesn't translate well online. It just makes you sound like a jerk.

23. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

or unless you own a gold rolex, and want your phone to match.

gold is far more than you're characterization of it here, which is highly ignorant ... :D

24. LWP777 Suspended

It's okay. I forgive you. Hey, I normally can't stand gold things either but I have to give credit where credit is due. Apple hit a home run with the gold.

25. jian macrumors regular

I loved it, too bad there aren't enough units around.
    not even silver, so I ended up getting space grey, which isn't bad at all.
    While inside of Apple Store, I checked out the golds, they are surprisingly, worse than my expectation, and space grey on the other hand is way above my expectation.However, I still prefer gold over space grey, especially in a beige case...
    Oh well, space grey in a black case is what I have now and it's beautiful