Thoughts on the GOP debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

A couple of thoughts I had while reading this article about last night's GOP debate:

• Notice the big Fox and Examiner logos above the candidates?
      [​IMG]
      Should they be sponsoring something like this? How would conservatives feel about MSNBC and Huffpo sponsoring a Democratic debate? (I know, there isn't one, but for argument's sake.) For that matter, should any news organization sponsor a political debate? If so, shouldn't it be one that has no clear ideological viewpoint?
    • Does this:
      ...indicate that every one of the GOP candidates is an absolutist/fanatic?

2. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

*I think there's no excuse anymore for anybody to believe that Fox News is "Fair and Balanced"
    *The Republican candidates are at odds with :

-The majority of Americas and a sizable portion of their base on taxes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -The majority of Americans on gay marriage
    [​IMG]
    -(Some of them) the majority of Americans on abortion
    [​IMG]
    -(Some of them) the majority of Americans on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Education
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    even the non-rich portion of their base
    [​IMG]

Additionally, more and more Americans are viewing the Tea Party negatively
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think they can be classified as extremists.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"Read my lips...no new taxes" GHWB

No one has the cojones to actually state what NEEDS to be done.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

from both sides.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The worst part of Fox's sponsorship of the debates is that many of the candidates are employees of Fox. That is simply unsupportable.

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Which of the Republican candidates are FOX employees? I know Mike Huckabee has a show on FNC, but I'm pretty sure he's not running.

7. Lyle, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I couldn't remember right offhand, so I did a quick Google search for "democratic debate" and it pulled up hits for CNN and MSNBC sponsored Democratic debates in 2007. I'm sure if I dug a little more I could find further examples (on both sides of the aisle, I mean).

But I do agree that news organizations should probably not be sponsoring the debates, if "sponsoring" means exercising editorial control over what questions are asked, etc. I don't have a problem with a particular news station providing the airtime. Having said that, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find any potential sponsoring organization that would be perceived as "non-biased" by all parties.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

None of them are FOX employees. FOX parted ways with Santorum and Gingrich months ago.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Fox is a conservative leaning news broadcaster in case you didn't know.

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Is this statement a response to anyone or anything in particular?

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I am just filling everyone in because they seem to be surprised fox is sponsoring this event.

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Which of the six people who have contributed to this thread so far (not counting your own valuable contributions, obviously) has expressed surprise about FOX's sponsorship of this Republican debate?

13. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

The OP.

I should know better than to get involved in a political debate on MacRumors since most of you are brainwashed by the leftist media, but if you get your news from anyone but fox, it's generally not the whole story, fabrication, and sometimes even outright lies... You could only say that about Fox News if you, in fact, believe the nonsense that gets spewed by most of these other networks, so I'll forgive you all for the backlash this post will unfortunately generate...

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is a joke, right? Because I find it hard to believe that anyone could be this ignorant.

15. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I should know better than to get involved in a political debate on MacRumors since most of you are brainwashed by the conservative media, but if you get your news from fox, it's generally not the whole story, fabrication, and sometimes even outright lies... You could only say that about CNN, MSNBC, and the other news networks if you, in fact, believe the nonsense that gets spewed by Fox, so I'll forgive you all for the backlash this post will unfortunately generate...

(It cuts both ways there, slick.)

16. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^And at least MSNBC is honest about their bias. They don't pretend to be "fair and balanced".

I don't have a problem with FNC sponsoring this debate. CNN held a Republican debate back in June.

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

OK. Maybe you and Zombie Acorn are using a different definition of "surprised" than the one I'm familiar with.

I do think Thomas Veil took the occasion of this debate as an opportunity to kick off the daily "let's all gripe about how much we hate FOX News and the GOP" thread, and that's fine, I understand that's that just how things roll in the PRSI forums.

If you get your news from only one source, you're not getting the whole story.

18. samiwas Suspended

I'm just going to assume that this post is meant to get a rise out of people. No one is THAT ignorant of reality.

19. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Exactly - why would you limit yourself to only one perspective on the news? That's what seems ignorant to me.

Personally, I like the mix of my local paper* and NPR. I usually turn to various blogs for political analysis.

*The Charleston Post and Courier might be the largest independent and locally owned daily newspaper for a market this size. It's nice not having to deal with the interests of McClatchy (grr) or Gannett (ugh!).

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, you'd be surprised.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

This is going to be intersting as the current leaders are going to avoid any real interviews and talking only to stations that support them.

Hell I would not be surprised if there is no debate for 2012. For candidates I sadly think Perry is going to be the GOP one. Not like he can do much worse to Texas by not doing his job. Wait that might be a that might be a good thing GO PERRY RUN WIN THE GOP BID. Then LOOSE TO OBAMA.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They're all anti gay rights, so I really don;t care what else they have to say. If they're that stupid, the rest of what they have to say is probably not worth listening to.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Do you think Obama is going to win? I don't mainly because of the large economic mess that has plagued his tenure (even if GWB set the foundation for this collapse)

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If this is the best the Republicans can do, Obama will win. These candidates are all nuts.

25. Andeavor macrumors 6502

What a bunch of clowns. It's nothing but a popularity contest for them.

They have no clue what they're talking about and insist they can push the reset button on everything Obama did within the first year as well as undoing every civil rights movement since the burning of the bra but not without praising their previous achievements and misinterpreting the constitution and values to justify their bigoted views.

Rick Santorum is such a hypocridiot, first he condemned the Iranian government for undermining the rights of gays... WTF? and then he claimed Iowa forced gay marriage on its people (like they really have to).

Ron Paul was the only sensible one who didn't act like an SNL character. He may not have the best solutions but at least he is aware of the reality outside the US government and borders.