Thoughts on the new Dock Connector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by belle93, Aug 10, 2012.

1. belle93 macrumors newbie

I live in Europe (Denmark Precisely), where our country is a member of The European Commission. Very little regulations and suggestions comes out from this place, however in 2010 they decided that most cellphone-manufactors should adopt Micro-USB as their native charge-and connection option, starting from 2011.(http://www.macstories.net/news/the-...-universal-micro-usb-charger-for-smartphones/ - Source)

When i first saw the rumors regarding the new pin-connector, i immediately thought of this initiative - Could this have something to do with meeting the requirements to the european market? I know that in-the-wild-photos of a possible dock connector surfaced today which points in another direction, but am i really the only one playing with this idea?

- Belle93

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

No. Apple already made an adapter to meet that requirement.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The odds of Apple just doing a micro usb connector are slim.

One of Apple's main tenets is control the technology.

4. belle93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i knew that, but that seems like an half-thought-out way to meet the requirement. If you have to bring an adapter with you at all times anyways, why not just bring the pin connector?

I realise that the pictures of the new dock connector doesn't really look like a fitting hole for micro-USB, but god i hope so!

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's a requirement for a single nation. They aren't going to change an entire design over what a nation dictates. Micro USB id less capable than Apple's ports. As such, Apple has packaged an inexpensive "loop-hole" for the European market. I agree that it is inconvenient. But Apple wants to meet regulations, not make it convenient to use a micro USB charger.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Apple will never do a standardized docking port. They make to much money on licensing third parties to make docks and other products that use their proprietary port. I'm fine with them changing to a smaller port as long as it's not magsafe.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Why not MagSafe??

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The point of magsafe is to have a quick disconnect. That simple isn't going to happen as the iPhone is light; much lighter than a notebook. You would either need a weak magent, risking east disconnect, or a stronger magnet, risking failure to disconnect when necessary.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Fair enough. Though it's probably not going to be MagSafe, so this discussion is moot point really!

10. botchok5 macrumors newbie

Magsafe is good, but the current dock has saved my iPhone so many times from smashing on the floor.

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I don't want my phone to disconnect easily. I use it in my car and my work vehicle. I don't have the room to put a mount in my work vehicle so usually rides in my passenger seat. Due to the nature of my work it's often a "spirited" ride. If it's magsafe it's going to disconnect often because due to the lightness of the iPhone the magnet is going to have to be very weak for it to disconnect to keep it from being pulled off a table.

12. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I saw another post a similar story in another thread. Are you guys really that uncoordinated that you trip over your cord that much? Or knock it off your desk or what ever it is you're doing for the cord to "save" your iPhone?