Thoughts on waiting for the new MP or buying the current model? Urgent advice needed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sarguelles, Mar 18, 2010.

  1. sarguelles macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #1
    I know this is a question with a lot of variables and possible answers, but I was hoping you guys can help me out.

    I am a composer that focuses on music for film/TV. I need a new workstation and I need it now. I run a lot of sampling libraries that do take a toll on my CPU.

    I want to upgrade to a new MAC Pro, but the current quad is not worth the $2,500. I know that an iMac would work for my needs at least for a while, however I do not want to get one because of it's lack of expansion capabilities. I am not very knowledgable on hardware since apple always offered the right hardware for the right value, until now, therefore I never learned a lot about it.

    What are your thoughts on the new iMac versus the Mac Pro. I can't wait until June for the new MP (IF the rumors are true) but I do believe I need a MP for its power, and expansion capability. I am desperate. Hope your advice gives me a sense of what to do.



    I run Digital Performer 7, Pro Tools 8, and Logic Studio as mixing/recording/sequencing software. Kontakt 4, PLAY (EastWest) and VSL as library hosts for various EastWest sampling libraries, VSL Libraries, Project SAM, omnisphere and use reason as rewire from time to time. As an audio interface I use a MOTU MK3 and Digidesign MBOX.

    Thanks!
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
    What software and how do you use it?

    Also a more descriptive thread title could help trigger more clicks.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
     
  3. Gomff macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #3
    If you need something now, you want a mac and you want the best value for money (relatively speaking), go for the 27"iMac with the i7. This represents the newest processor in an Apple machine at the moment. A Quad i7 would cope with all your software easily, although you may run into storage space issues.

    It would be better to wait if you possibly can to see what the New Pro's are up to though.
     
  4. JeromeOD macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2005
    #4
    sarguelles, i'm a pro tools 8 user as well. I have just bought an 8-core MP. I am exactly like you, I need the horsepower now - i've maxed out my G5 dual.

    My PT sessions that maxed out the G5 are running 20% on a MP 8 core with 12 processors allocated. This sort of horsepower is going to last me a good long time, at least 5 years I predict.

    the most important thing is, Digidesign will NOT qualify the hexacore machines for ProTools as soon as they come out, they will take their sweet time about it before they will support PT on a hexacore.

    Buy now, and get working.
     
  5. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

    bzollinger

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2005
    #5
    I'd say buy the iMac 27" i7 too, but buy one on the refurb store, save some $$ get working. In a few months sell it and pick up a 2010 Mac Pro.

    They're saying that the update will be one of the biggest updates ever to the MP, to me that's worth the wait. If I needed something now, it'd be the i7 iMac.

    When you're ready to sell you'll be fine as they are still fairly new and lots of people will want to upgrade from thier C2D machines.
     
  6. chet.d macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2009
    #6
    I agree.

    FWIW, I'm running Nuendo 4, UAD 2, Kontakt 4, Omnisphere etc.
    I recently got an 08 8 core MP. 16 gigs ram, SSD for boot & apps, +2 other 1TB drives (audio and samples). 2 years apple care left.

    I couldn't be happier considering software will take a while to be able to utilize the power already available.

    I think it's most likely best to wait on the 2010 MP, hell even the 09 may not be a good cost to benefit ratio, unless your doing a ton of sampled instruments and need very low buffer sizes.

    I've come to believe it's smart to buy the MP that's a year or 2 old.
    And hold onto it as long as you get work done well with it.
     
  7. wonderspark macrumors 68040

    wonderspark

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Location:
    Oregon
    #7
    I'd say you answered your own question when you said you need something NOW, and you want a Mac. I held out as long as I possibly could before I absolutely needed to start editing, but I didn't do as much homework as I could have in regards to my options. I didn't look into refurbished enough. I only considered new custom-built PCs and the Mac Pro.

    I ended up getting my '09 MP 3.33 Quad, but in hindsight, could have done better to consider refurbished Macs. I felt (at the time) that it would be better to buy brand new, customized in all but RAM, but now I know I could have got a refurbished '08 or '09 and saved some money for just a little more work / hassle. At least I didn't order it with the 16 gigs of RAM from Apple... I got it at huge savings from OWC.

    The bottom line is this, though. If you need to work NOW, you really can't afford to wait, and it's true that it will take some time for software to catch up to the added cores. If you go refurbished Mac Pro, you can soften the blow to the wallet now, and sell it for an upgrade later, if needed.
     
  8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

    VirtualRain

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #8
    If you can't wait, get a 2009 Mac Pro. If you can hold off, it may be worth your while as you may be able to get a 6-core for the price of today's quad if the rumors are true.
     
  9. mds macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    #9
    I'm in the same boat. Also a composer and in need of a new machine. I've been trying to hold out, but if the new Mac Pros aren't going to be here until June, then I need to do something. I'm still debating the 09 MP and the 27" i7 Imac. I think I'm leaning Mac Pro. The expandability, SATA hard drives, and extra ports are all factors pushing me that way. That big screen is nice though!
     
  10. chet.d macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2009
    #10
    Worth mentioning in hopes that it's of some help is that the MP I recently bought as described in the above post was $2400 including everything.
    I got it on craigslist NY and drove up from Philly.

    I think it was a very good deal but with persistance there are other good deals to be found on the refurb store or craigslist.
    It makes a great DAW for audio work.
     
  11. policyvote macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    #11
    I was going through the same thing, and ultimately pulled the trigger on a quad-core refurb. Same warranty, same software, still-great hardware, much more reasonable price. Due to my primary computer dying, I couldn't wait until "by June" or whenever the next update is either.

    I'm really happy with my purchase--though A) it's not delivered yet and B) I'm only a novice/amateur when it comes to video/audio stuff.

    Peace
    Ty
     

Share This Page