Thoughts on Wrapsol for the Air (and bonus kindle mention)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by h00ligan, Aug 27, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The Good --

The finish (matte) is perfect for the aluminum of the macbook air/pro - it looks nice and feels relatively good.

It is easy to apply, though I think they could ship a bit more solution for full body coverage.

Their customer support (so far) has been good. We will see how it continues.

The bad ----

The small packaging caused two problems with skins for two devices.

One sharp corner on the back of the air skin was peeling back. This area does not want to adhere to machine. I have installed MANY skins and I know the tricks.. I may be able to get it to stay by remoistening and actually holding it for a long time, but it's a huge pita - and it's an area that will snag later, I can already tell.

A kindle screen cover which is a dry install. It is a very stiff film and it was bent so much i can't see it ever lying down.

This is largely irrelevant as problem two precludes me from even bothering with the kindle screen cover and is annoying for the macbook air. The cuts are extremely imprecise. They are cutting way too small - now this is relative - but a few millimeters too small on each edge not only means protection that is not edge to edge but also a more visible seam more likely to attract dust.

The kindle screen cover is basically useless, it is WAY too small and I have no desire to have a 3mm border on my screen - very distracting. The largest problem on the air is the trackpad, which is about 3 mm too 'thin' Top to bottom is alright (not perfect) but side to side is really not wide enough. They could cut 2mm wider and still have leftover room. Again, the main issue is the now inability to fully use the trackpad edge to edge and the attraction of dirt to the seam.

So this is hard to say one way or the other. I think given the imprecision it's hard to recommend, but otoh I really like the matte finish for the air. I'm not sure who else may offer a matte cover, but I'm sold on that aspect. It's a pity they choose the packaging which deforms the skin rather than a 'do not bend' sort of package. I think given the lack of precision the product is too expensive to be frank - and I bought it on sale. BSE has better cuts by far, but I prefer the wrapsol install (wet) and the finish.

For those of you who bought a kindle to get the coupon *and kept it like good boys and girls* skip the kindle protector, it is really, really bad.. and expensive. If you are careful and have done skin installs before.. you can gently 'stretch' the main top and bottom covers to get closer to the sides, but it is time consuming and could lead to frustration if you then shift or bubble the skin.

Hope that helps someone.

2. jmaker macrumors newbie

Are you able to peel the Wrapsol up and reapply it? Or is it basically just a one time installation?

Try to apply some heat to it for the places that are not adhering properly. This looks like the same process we use to install stone guards and decals to automobiles. We just use soapy water, spray it on the decal or car. That way we can position it however we need. Once you have it aligned properly, just squeegee out the water real good, and then we use a heat gun for a fast dry.

That's why I ask if you're able to peel it back off without the skin becoming crumpled or mangled. Decals and stone guards on cars are a one time deal. Once those are dry and set you can't peel off and reapply.

3. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Phantomskinz sells a matte version, I believe it's cheaper too and there's usually a discount code. I've used their matte protection for my iPhone and liked it, so I'm strongly considering it for my air that should be arriving soon. It also covers more of the area around the keyboard.

4. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

I could do the heat, but it isn't worth it. I'd just like to see them cut less conservatively.

As for the fluid, I failed to realize we had to fill the bottles....I thought they were full all the wy, I could be, and probably am wrong, however it isn't listed in their instructions to fill bottles, so it never crossed my mind.

5. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I absolutely love my Wrapsol on my MBA, mostly because of the matte finish and the bit of scratch protection helps. I baby my products, but it's good piece of mind that MOST scratches would never make it to the metal.

That being said, as much as I love the Wrapsol on the top, bottom, and palm rest, I hate the Trackpad cover just as much. It screws up the feel of the Trackpad and I just couldn't get used to it. It lasted about 20-30 minutes of use before I ripped it back off.

6. iphoneipad macrumors member

I have phantom skinz on my macbook pro and so far did not notice any extra heat on it. The application wasn't as easy as iphone/ipod touch but it can be done with patience.

Love the matte finish and my sister didn't realise it was on when i showed it to her

7. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Kindle screen cover:eek: The whole point of the Kindle is the e-ink. Putting a cover on it lessens the quality.

8. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm hoping that the trackpad texture wears down they would do themselves great service by providing a non matte trackpad cover. It's definitely not a good feel but I'll see if I can get used to it.

9. Sgenea macrumors newbie

You made Wrapsol sound kinda bad haha :eek:

I had a near perfect installation (except for a speck of dust which wentunder the Apple logo, my fault, not Wrapsol's) and I still have about 2/3 of a bottle left out of the 2 bottles of solution they gave. And trust me, I wasn't easy on the solutions. Had no idea how you've finished both bottles, the solution must be flowing off your MBA!

The trick to it is to apply Wrapsol, align it, and than LEAVE IT TO DRY AND SETTLE for 24/hours without dragging a case through it and such. You may still use it as per normal but just before not to push it off it's alignment.

I'm currently using a JOLI's ORIGINAL case, a tightest fit of all MBA cases out there. My Wrapsol stays in position like the first day I applied it. :apple:

10. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh trust me I'm well aware how to install. It's aligned perfectly. They just cut to small.

Having installed many other skins and making my own solution or having it prefilled I just didn't realize I had to mix it. The install is fine, again they just need to do actual edge to edge.

I love the finish. I'm still glad I got it. Their kindle protector is awful.

11. JulesK macrumors 6502

I wouldn't want the fit any more "precise"

I've used the Zagg Invisishield product on a number of devices, and I was very concerned about how something similar was going to work on something as large as the MBA 11. I was amazed at how easy it went on, and with so few air bubbles. The largest ones disappeared after about 3 days. I've found that the it helps to not use the device for 72 hours (not just 24).

Still, I wouldn't want something that is cut precisely to the edge of the MBA top and bottom. I would have driven me crazy because the .5mm or so "gap" was really needed to make sure I didn't commit the ultimate sin: having the skin overhang the edge.

I couldn't be happier with the Wrapsol product, but like others, I didn't bother with the trackpad cover, just the palmrest. Even if this one peels after a year or so, I'd get another one. Definitely worth it just for the extra "grip" it provides.

12. meaty macrumors member

i noticed that the edges of the skins get dirty. does that happen with these?

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

After struggling with Wrapsol on my phone, I wasn't going to go through that again on a much larger surface like the Macbook Air. So I went with a patterned skin from iCarbon that was a snap to put on. And it slides into tight cases without snagging and peeling back.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It's good practice to Google promo codes when shopping online. Just wanted to share that I got a MBA Wrapsol 50% off so with tax and shipping it was $36.

http://www.offers.com/wrapsol/

Just click the yellow activate and it brings you to the site then add to cart!

15. ihonda macrumors 68000

16. hidefguy macrumors 6502

I thought it was going to PITA but its quite easy, the trick is to use a lot of solution so that you can slide the film into place. I made some with a couple of drops of dishwashing soap in a bowl of water. just make sure to tape up all the ports for protection and a towel to soak up all the excess water. The bowl is good for quickly refilling the sprayers and keeping your fingers moist. I also got rid of the trackpad film after a day.

17. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i think the trick with wrapsol is its stretchy. you cant be any more precise due to the stretching when applied. its not easy to get it right for sure.