Three 30" Monitor Suggestions for the new 2013 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeffreyk, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I am going to be purchasing the new Mac Pro in December and wanted to get three 30-inch monitors. I used to have one 30-inch Dell (a 2007WFP, I believe) when I previously owned a Mac Pro around 2008-2009. I loved having all the extra screen real estate and miss it even with my current 27-inch iMac. I was going to stick with Dell for my new three monitor purchase but it seems the new Dell 30-inch U3014 is having serious display issues. I never had issues with any previously purchased Dell monitor I've owned but the U3014 seems like a tricky proposition with the reported issues -- especially so when you add two additional monitors into the mix. Any suggestions on what displays to buy? Thanks for your help.

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i currently have apple 30 acds and love them .. apple might release a 32 in 4k monitor around the time of the mac pro release .. no one knows .. also Dell i believe has a 32in ultra hd monitor due for release soon .. google dell 32in .. no idea on cost though

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Indeed wait for the Pro to be order able/deliverable. Then you can see what else Apple, Dell, NEC, or others have to go with the Pro.

4. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@jetjaguar @MCAsan Thanks very much! I will wait until the Pro is "released/deliverable" to see what offerings are available. Hopefully some new stuff will be released that coincides with the MP release. I'm very excited to get back to the Mac Pro. Excellent advice from you both; it's sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

5. macmesser macrumors 6502a

What reported issues? I've used one with OS 10.7.5 with no problems until today (so here's yet another) when I tried to profile my u3014 monitor with i1 Display Pro from x-rite. The software did not control the monitor settings and manual adjustments did not register in the profiling window. : (

Wondering if I could profile in Windows 7 (I have Parallels) and use it as a Mac profile. Prolly not.

6. jeffreyk, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Hey @macmesser!

On the Dell Peripherals forums, there are issues being raised about distracting horizontal lines, light leakage issues, color balance issues, and the U3014 monitor just not being usable due to its apparent flaws. Revisions "Rev a01" and "Rev a02" didn't fix the issues customers were having but it looks like "Rev a03" due out shortly -- if not already out -- looks to have possibly solved these issues.

I'm very happy for you that you haven't experienced these types of issues with your U3014. That's outstanding and, actually, reassuring to hear! Sorry about your current issue but I hope you get that worked out sooner than later. When I had my previous Mac Pro, my Dell 30-inch monitor was an absolute joy to use every day. It worked impeccably right from the off and I had no issues whatsoever.

Because I've had good success with previous Dell monitors up to, and including, the 30-inch versions, they were my first choice when deciding to get my new monitors. As someone who is looking to buy not one, but three 30-inch monitors, I get a bit hesitant when reading about these issues before having to make a decision to plunk down $3-4k on a set of monitors - especially since they're being purchased to help me with my business. I'm monitoring (no pun intended, okay, after writing it, maybe a bit) the Dell forums to see if the "Rev a03" really does solve the issues customers are having. If so, I'll probably go for three 30-inch Dell U3014s for my new desktop system. I'd love to have three 4k displays but, with current and seemingly near-future high price points over the next 30-45 days, the three 30-inch 2560x1600 monitors are probably going to be the go to purchases for me at this time.

Luckily, the new 2013 Mac Pro doesn't come out until December so that gives me time to wait to see what possible new monitors will be brought to market (as suggested by others, here) or getting the Dell U3014 monitors with the proper revision fixes. I'd absolutely love for the new Mac Pro to be out now but the next month or so, until sometime in December, will help me finalize better monitor options to get for my new Mac Pro.

7. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Seeing that the new MacPros are going to be officially ready for purchase tomorrow (19 Dec 2013), yay!, I have a more detailed three monitor question. I was thinking of getting the three new 2560x1600 NEC 30-inch monitors (PA-302W-BK) but how would you best hook them up to the new Mac Pro? They aren't thunderbolt monitors but each NEC monitor has an HDMI input. The new Mac Pro, of course, has one HDMI out. I know Apple stated that you can hook up to three 4K thunderbolt displays up to the nMP thru the thunderbolt outs but what if the three monitors are just the "basic" 2560x1600? I'm looking for advice on not only how to hook them up but get the best performance across the three screens. Thanks.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Just use the Mini-displayport on the NEC's. You just need mini-displayport to mini-displayport cables (probably already in the box). The Mac Pro has 6 Thunderbolt ports, and thunderbolt are compatible with MDP.

9. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@paulrbeers Just plug in three Mini-Displayport cables into three of the nMP Thunderbolt ports? It's that simple/easy? Very cool, thanks.

10. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@paulrbeers So, do you need a special cable with a thunderbolt connection on one end (to connect from the Mac Pro) and a mini display port connection (to the mini display port on the NEC monitor) on the other end? I tried searching the answer out but, after 20 minutes of clicking around, I thought I'd ask here. It's my first venture into thunderbolt and mini-display ports -- and the biggest computer purchase I've ever made -- so thanks for your patience in answering my newbie query.

11. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Thunderbolt is Displayport compatible. Just use 3 x thunderbolt cables to connect 3 x Displayport monitors (if the monitors have regular displayport use 3 x MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cables)

12. sturob macrumors regular

So, do you think the best thing to do is just choose whatever monitor(s) I'd like to use, as long as they have DisplayPort connectors? Mini-displayport to displayport cables seem easily available.

IIRC, DP 1.2 is the "latest" consumer standard.

I'm thinking for my own uses I'll wait a bit before venturing in to 4K territory, I've spent enough on the nMP. :D

Stuart