Three American friends hospitalised after becoming 'possessed' following Ouija Board

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iMacBooked, Aug 12, 2014.

1. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2665899/Possessed-girl.html

Okay, first of all, this is indeed somewhat 'old' news (facts from about a month and half ago), but I recently came across this article again and I was really shocked by how real this footage actually looked.
    It's about 3 friends that get 'possessed' after playing with the Ouija Board.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not like I am that kind of guy who believes in ghosts/demons and all the stuff, but when it comes to religion issues like this, I believe it's something very interesting to have a debate on.

For those of you who don't know what an Ouija Board is, it's the known "board game" used in real life and in tons of horror movies to 'communicate with the dead'. It often looks like this:
    [​IMG]

This will always be a debate with believers vs. non-believers, like anything else that is seen as somewhat paranormal. But I believe it's interesting to see everyone's opinion here on MR about paranormal things like this and religion in general.
    Of course there already is a scientific explanation (like everything) for the Ouija Board game: the movement seems to be caused by a phenomenon known as the 'ideomotor effect', wherein the subject makes motions unconsciously.
    But whether you believe in a Ouija Board or not, do you think this is something that can still be sold in shops as an ordinary 'board game'?
    A newsflash like this clearly shows how dangerous this thing can be. And certainly when played under the influence of drugs.
    I was wondering, has anyone here on MR ever played this 'game' with friends, or perhaps when they were younger? :)
    And more in general, are you a believer or a non-believer, and if so why?

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I don't believe in any of that. The most believable(even though I still don't believe) is the guy Steve Huff of Huff Paranormal. He talks about how Ouija boards safe and how he get more activity using Spirit Box. His site pages and youtube vids are interesting.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I've played the Chinese version of this game when I was young. I don't know if it's real though as my friends were a couple years older than I was. It seemed real to me at the time, but I can't remember what questions were asked as it was more than 20 years ago.

4. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Yeah, I know of Steve Huff, pretty amazing vids!
    I don't believe in it either, but I haven't tried or seen it myself yet, and that could perhaps still change my mind.

Interesting! So even though you did it a long time ago, you still remember it as being real to you at that time. This also proves Ouija actually is still being used as a game among friends. I remember Ouija's even being sold at local toys shops, back in the days. Dunno if they still have them atm, but they probably will.

5. localoid, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I dug my grandmother's Ouija board out of the closet, drew the curtains and lit some candles, queued up some backwards playing music in iTunes, did a few bong hits, and then asked the Ouija board what to make of this news story and the spirit inside the Ouija board answered "221lInw7Wj0", which amazingly enough, is the video number of the following YouTube video!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

From The Daily Mail? Might have well have come from page 3 of The Sun.

7. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Funny video, but no need to laugh about this topic. I already mentioned the scientific explanation for Ouija, the ideomotor effect, in the beginning of my thread.. But this is not about science, this is about believing or not. Because I don't doubt at all that the scientific explanation you're referring to is right, but even when it is, you could always still believe that it is not your subconscious that is leading you. The existence of ghosts cannot be proven, but so does the opposite.
    I'm just looking for opinions about paranormal activity in general among MR and experience with games like the Ouija board.
    You're clearly a non-believer, which is fine of course. So do I, but I'm willing to give the people who actually do believe in things like this a chance. And yes there are, and even a lot seeing all those stories.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I've seen 2 things that I couldn't explain in my lifetime. Being the good, brace yourself steve knight, Catholic boy that I am I like to believe that what I saw was real and proof of life beyond ours. However, I'm not like the militant other side who degrades, laughs at and otherwise belittles people who don't see it their way. I've used the board before when I was in high school and it did "say" a few things that were/came true. Whether or not that was because of my friend's doing, only they know.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Personally, I find the belief that Ouija boards can use them to contact the "other side" to be extremely amusing.

Well, good for you!

It's the 21st century. Why wouldn't science be germane to the topic of Ouija boards?

Post a topic here, and you may get people posting opinions "you're not looking for".

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

As I recall, my friends were only lightly touching the coin (planchette) with their middle finger. No way it could have moved by my friends. Some of the questions were along the lines of what colour underwear so and so (not playing) are wearing and it answered correctly.

I don't believe in ghost or spirits BTW. On a totally different occasion, one of my old boss said there is a ghost over by the door and I just waved. :D

11. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I used to play with a Ouija board with girls from school - interestingly, the spirits often spelled out: T A K E O F F Y O U R C L O T H E S

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Ouija boards are (more or less) harmless entertainments for teenagers.

The DailyMail.uk website, on the other hand, is an irresponsible, fact-free menace to society.

I think people generally are smart enough not take too seriously information imparted to them during a Ouija board session. The Daily Mail website, however, is frequently accorded the sort of credibility we associate with real, actual news organization, the kind that hire real, actual journalists. This is simply not the case - the Mail is notorious for just making stories up. And whats worse - other websites pick up their stories, assuming that they are true.

The DailyMail.uk website is not to be taken seriously.

13. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Amazing! :) Whether it really was a spirit or just that scientific ideomotor stuff that moved the coin, the movement is still fascinating!

14. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I was going to say the same.

The Daily Mail is a national joke in the UK. Don't bother with it.

16. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

The science reveals the truth. As soon as you find yourself having a discussion with someone who acknowledges the truth but still claims belief in the contrary, it's time to move on.

17. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This paranormal/supernatural stuff is complete nonsense.

19. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then you are posting from the bathroom! :D

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

If that is true why is it the second largest selling paper after that paragon of virtue the Sun?

21. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

No it's not. You can believe in it or don't, but it is NOT just 'nonsense'.
    I'm not talking about that kind of people who use Tarots and stuff to predict your future, that's something else, where the commercial part comes in.
    But the paranormal/supernatural in general is something you accept or don't accept.

22. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's nonsense. Never seen a ghost, Ouija Board failed to possess me, my great aunt was a spiritualist and even though she was fully convinced it was true I can tell you now, it wasn't. It was nonsense, attempting to relate a loss or change in life or just something you don't understand to external powers beyond your control. You may as well place these powers in the hand of a 'God' and it's just as untrue and unbelievable.

I'd love for you to prove me otherwise. But in my short time on this planet I've yet to see anything I could genuinely call paranormal. Every time there has been a reasonable and logical explanation to random occurrings. Why did the picture fall of the wall? Because it wasn't hooked up there right, not because a ghost or evil vengeful demon thought that knocking it down would avenge them or whatever. :rolleyes:

Not convinced.

Oh, yeah, and another thing. It's the daily mail. They're full of ****.

23. pdjudd macrumors 601

What, a poorly written article that only reveals one person’s claims? That’s really convincing! :roll eyes:. It isn’t like haunted house claims haven’t been made before and have been debunked!

Anyhow, the problem with asking anybody about believing in the Ouija board is that belief doesn’t actually mean anything. I can believe that if I flap my arms fast enough and I will fly. Even if I genuinely believe this, it does’t make it real or even plausible. Belief has biases that make them practically useless for any real analysis.

You can believe in spirit boards all you want to any day of the week. Doesn’t make it real at all and it doesn’t really mean much in the real world. I don’t care if person X believes that Ouija boards work. The fact is they don’t. There is no reason for them to work. They have never been shown to work. They are toy that is owned by Hasbro.

24. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

No, it's nonsense. NEVER once has one of these "paranormal" events ever been independently verified. EVER.

25. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

So it just doesn't exist? Just because it hasn't been proven? Some things can't be verified with current technology or the current level of science. Walking on the moon used to be nonsense until it wasn't. The sun being the center of the solar system used to be nonsense until it wasn't.

I like to keep an open mind. I have seen things I can't understand or prove, that doesn't mean they are nonsense. It means they are a mystery.