Three burglars entered an Oklahoma home. The owner’s son opened fire with an AR-15, deputies say.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Was this already discussed?

Comments are interesting too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-ar-15-deputies-say/?utm_term=.9ce487c6929e

2. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Never bring brass knuckles and knives to an AR-15 fight.

Is Oklahoma a stand your ground / Castle doctrine state?

3. citizenzen, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you're in the United States, and in somebody else's home, you'd better be prepared to be shot.

Now in my home that wouldn't happen, because I have never owned a firearm.

But its a pretty risky thing ... going into other peoples' homes. I wouldn't recommend it.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

If 1 person let alone 3 people break into my house they will be shot. It does not matter if it is a 9mm hand gun or an ar15 or a shotgun. The end result will be the same.

Not sure what the issue is with this other then the person used a scary ar15 to defend himself. 3 against 1 is not good odds.

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I imagine being shot at is a career risk for burglars in the US.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Of course you meant "in somebody else's home uninvited for theft or to do harm" :)

7. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

"Going in"......breaking down the door goes well beyond going in.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    Pretty sure someone else's home was mentioned. ?

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They don't call it Castle doctrine but yes they do.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

There's a lot not said in this article. But generally I'm for this kid defending himself and his property. If 'words were exchanged in the kitchen' then he gave the burglars warning to leave. Since two were dead in the kitchen then perhaps that warning was not heeded by the burglars. However one was found dead on the driveway, it's implied that burglar died as a result of injury received in the initial encounter in the kitchen. If the kid chased after the burglar and shot him in the driveway... there's going to be a question about weather that was self defense.

All in all I don't worry about home defense as much, living in a condo, with surveillance, and 24 hr security. But if someone was in my unit and I felt they were there to harm me or to steal property I would have no qualms about defending myself.

10. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I can absolutely understand shooting someone for self defense or just feeling threatened

But over stolen property? Really?

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Sounds like home owner son is good then assuming no further facts are revealed/uncovered.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I didn't read the article in the OP, I heard about this story yesterday and followed it some what close. I would say he is good since the getaway driver has been arrested and charged with the murders, I would say it's a safe bet that the shooter is good to go.

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yes, get out of my house.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Thieves deserve to die.

15. mollyc macrumors 6502

You don't think you'd feel threatened by three masked men smashing a window and entering your house???

16. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Something he will live with for rest of his life. But in states where forced break ins can be defended against, not too smart to break into an occupied home.

Three against one, with their own weapons. I would feel serious threat to my life. Could he have run? was there an alternate exit?

Make that decision under stress of a forced break in. In a couple of seconds, not from your couch messaging after the fact. None of us knows what we will do when presented with such a situation.

Wouldn't be first time someone is overpowered three to one and then Shot with their own weapon, because they didn't react fast and shoot first.

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well if they were there to steal (and I was there), I'd attempt to stop them. A confrontation is highly likely to ensue. I don't own guns, and I'm unlikely to get to any other 'weapons' in the unit. But Yeah I would defend myself to the best of my ability, including making a ton of noise to attract attention.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    Too broad brush. My aim would be within the law. Application of minimum force till the intruder complies.

18. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

To be blunt, I think you have mental issues.

I'd be angry sure, smashed windows have to be replaced. I'd be scared if they attacked me and would defend myself if possible.

I wouldn't shoot someone over a stolen radio, not even if it was made of 10 kilos of solid gold

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Theft of property is a theft of the time of life spent earning the resources to purchase said property. I didn't say kill anyone. I said thieves deserve to die, they choose what their life is worth.

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

To be blunt, I'm not concerned about your feelings.

Thieves are scum and only intend on doing harm or damage. The sooner they're pushing up daises, the sooner the world is a better place.

21. mollyc macrumors 6502

You have a very different definition of "threatened" than I do.

22. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Oh look...this body must be the one that made all that noise. Right detective, what was that response time again? Ten minutes. Wow pretty good. Too bad the neighbors didn't come to help but hid in their homes calling us.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

How do you know what their motives are beyond stealing your possessions? Are you going to fight off three attackers?

24. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Good. Let me see someone uninvited in my house and the same thing will happen

25. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

And of course three masked, armed thieves breaking into your home, surprised to find you there, would retreat because you said stop?

And you must be the man, able to defend bare handed, three assailants with. Brass knuckles and knife. I will stick to the help from my 16 9mm friends in my Sig P229. After that sure I will go hand to hand if they still want to.