Three Cheers For Guns- Mass Shooting Satistics in the U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Keep these mottos in the forefront of your thinking:
    *GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE
    *GUNS KEEP US SAFE
    *ALL HAIL THE GUN, we'll send out our condolences in advance... o_O

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2015: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation
    Statistical chart included in the above link.

11 essential facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States

Quote:
    America is a land of guns. It was true when twelve people died in Aurora, Colo., when a gunman opened fire in a movie theater. It was true when a gunman killed 27 people, including 20 children, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Conn. And it remains true this morning, as police search for the gunman who is accused of killing nine people at an historic African American church in Charleston, S.C.

Since 2006, there have been more than 200 mass killings in the United States.

Well-known images from Newtown, Aurora and Virginia Tech capture the nation’s attention, but similar bloody scenes happen with alarming frequency and much less scrutiny.

USA TODAY examined FBI data -- which defines a mass killing as four or more victims -- as well as local police records and media reports to understand mass killings in America. They happen far more often than the government reports, and the circumstances of those killings -- the people who commit them, the weapons they use and the forces that motivate them -- are far more predictable than many might think.

Why America Is Prone to Mass Shootings

Quote:
    A strange paradox is emerging in America: Overall violent-crime rates are down, but active shooter events — in which a person is trying to kill multiple people in a populated area — appear to be on the rise, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation statistics.

Meanwhile, a just-released study finds that although the United States has just about 5 percent of the world's population, the country has 31 percent of the world's mass shooters. The reasons for these numbers are complex, researchers say, but the data suggest that the availability of guns, and perhaps the American obsession with fame, may be to blame.

Rate of Mass Shootings Has Tripled Since 2011, Harvard Research Shows

[​IMG]

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how many people have YOUR guns killed?

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not at liberty to say. ;) At least you are predictable.
    Seriously this thread is not for the I worship guns crowd, just the people who are open minded about what being awash in guns really means to us as a society.

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I bet if we make one more gun thread minds will change.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then step up to the plate and sell/give away/destroy yours. Lead by example.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

More smoke, the best you got to address this issue, taking after JK? ;) Oh, or is this not an issue?

7. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I'd rather have a gun when there's a shooter than my bare hands when there's an axe murderer.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, if the country is awash in guns, as you say, and yet you own some guns then you are part of the problem.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually, I think your mind is made up. :p

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There was a man interviewed yesterday who was a licensed concealed carrier at the college during the attack, and he told the interviewer that he knew if he pulled out his gun and tried to engage the shooter, that the cops would kill him on sight when they got there. He is a smart concealed carrier.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I lead by example. I've never owned one.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you seemingly imply "guns" being the issue, yet YOU own guns, if the inanimate object is the issue why don't YOU get rid of YOURS?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

but you shot them at one time, pellet IIRC.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use to. But sold mine when I had kids.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Maybe instead of registering all guns, we just make sure we can collect all the metadata. You know, when and where it's used, where it was purchased, that kind of thing. Nothing that identifies the specific gun, you know.

That oughta pass muster with the pro-NSA surveillance crowd.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

do you at all know what is registered already? when got my CCW, ALL the guns that I had bought & sold were listed along with the names & addys of the buyers.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've shot guns, primarily shotguns during a stint commercial fishing.

We'd use a shotgun to scare away the seagulls and seals from disturbing the squid ball while it developed under the boat.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Here's something I don't think anyone's asked before. In the last 4 months, we've had two newsworthy mass shootings that have claimed the lives of over 20 people. Now if the usual gun control arguments that inevitably come up after these shootings are nothing more than a security blanket for liberals to suckle on and/or attempt to take your rights away from you, then tell me...

...what is the real problem? What would you do to solve it?

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Unfortunately, that scenario where a so called good guy with a gun gets shot by the authorities is likely going to happen one day.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    What the hell were you fishing? Loch Ness Monsters?

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Government issued guns for everyone :rolleyes:

22. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

But a shotgun is a weapon. It's only purpose is to kill.

Couldn't you have just banged some pots and pans together? Or yelled really loudly?

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Stop taking up reply space in this thread until you are able to discuss the issue seriously. The first step is to acknowledge there is a problem, which the gun fan club in this forum, including you, is impossible, because that might mean some restriction on your precious down the road.

You guys are more worried about the freedom to wield your gun, ideally without regulations, getting all upset when a store tells you not to bring your gun in, THE NERVE. It's all about me and my liberty without reflecting on what is happening to us as a society. I'm just not going to spend time entertaining you or JK with endless circular banter.

Yes, I like my gun, but I don't carry it EVER, nor do I spend time caressing it. I am against the conservative approach to hands-off gun policy, to take the worry out of the equation when a licensed gun owner kills someone, and the promotion of the idea we are better off as a country with everyone strapping heat. I like the idea of checking in your gun at the Sherrif's office vs carrying it into the saloon. :p

Frankly I think this country is ****** when it comes to gun policy. Too many gun lovers out there. :(

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Better question....

What new law(s) you propose that would stop these killings?

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Squid. The squid ball develops under the boat during the night, attracted by the bright lights shining down in the water. Seagulls, seals, blue shark and mackerel were some of the things that could disturb the squid and keep them from developing into a roiling mass of sex-crazed mollusks waiting to be scooped up for your dinner.