Three Iphones, one itunes account? Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cfcboy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. cfcboy macrumors regular

Hi all, At the weekend I purchased my wife and IP4 and my son a IP5.

I set my wifes up with the same itunes account but for some reason she was getting messgaes when sent from another iphone. iMessage texts it seems.

So my question is can i have 3 sepearate Iphones, which are all under my name and bank details using one itunes account but without sharing things such as mails and imessages etc?

I also want to keep them under one find my phone app so they can be linked should one get lost.

Thanks guys :)

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

Yes, you share an acccount for itunes/app store purchases, but create seperate icloud accounts for each phone. This way contacts, messages etc don't get mixed up between phones.

More info from Apple themselves:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

3. cfcboy thread starter macrumors regular

4. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

This is what my wife and I do and it works perfectly! Make sure you turn off the "Apps automatic download" under the iTunes section in settings on each of the phones. Otherwise, every time someone installs an app it will automatically install on all the phones.

5. cfcboy thread starter macrumors regular

In regards to the imessgae bit, how do I get each one of us not to recv one anothers messages. Cant really find much in the support section and left scratching my head.

What i want to do is have all imessaging enabled but not get notifications through email or each others phone. Just go directly to one anothers direct phone numbers.

This possible?

6. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

Go to http://www.icloud.com and setup an account for each of you. Then on each phone go to settings -> messages and sign in with the respective iCloud account. You will also want to go to settings -> iCloud to setup the independent iCloud backups. This will setup each phone to receive iMessages using their iCloud account and will by default accept messages sent to their phone number. I hope all that made sense!

7. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

On each iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that the desired email/phone # for receiving/sending on that device only is checked. Uncheck any that don't belong to that device.

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I agree with all the above posters. One thing I will add with regard to 'Find My Phone'.
    This is what I did for my wife and children's devices:
    Add you own Apple ID as a second iCloud account on each device. Make sure it is added AFTER each individual's iCloud account (that ensures that the individual's iCloud account is the master and can be used for syncing documents, Photo Stream etc.). When you add your own Apple ID as an iCloud account on their devices, turn everything off under that account on each device EXCEPT for 'Find My Phone'. 'Find My Phone' will then be turned OFF for the individual's Apple ID on the device automatically.

Now when you log into 'Find My Phone' using your own Apple ID you will see ALL your family's devices.