Three Little Pigs 'too offensive'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jan 23, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh great, that's just peachy.

Where will it end?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

:rolleyes:

These stories are a really important part of our culture, and they are one way of passing information about life through the generations, given our governments inability to teach social education at all, they really are our only hope.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well that's too bad, because other peoples culture is more important than our native one. Obviously :rolleyes:

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well their culture is important too, but so is ours, I'm not offended by Koreans eating Dog or the French eating Horse. Therefore they shouldn't be offended about a story about pigs.

EDIT: Seriously though the Muslim council of Britain will probably come out condemning this move shortly.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'm totally gob smacked. what ever next, Cinderella banned because it upsets ugly women

Oh and edesignuk - You seem to spend as much time on the BBC News site as me. ta for redirecting my thread on this :)

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I hope so. I was wondering to myself if any Muslim had actually had any input in this decision, or if it was just a bunch of suited nitwits being seriously overly 'cautious'.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And that when translated from the original German it can refer to a fur slipper rather than a glass one, think of the children :eek:.

8. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I figured this thread was going to have something to do with all the blowing the big bad wolf does. :eek:

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Aaaaand I'm not even gonna go there. :D

Lucy van Pelt once said, "If you go around watching every word you say all the time, you'll never get much said." I think something like that applies here. Cultural sensitivity is one thing, but if you're gonna censor everything that offends someone, somewhere...you're gonna be literally speechless.

10. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Ban "Princess and the Pea" as it may offend a few, hypersensitive gardeners. :rolleyes:

Who are the people who think of these things?

11. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Since the big bad wolf is the bad guy in this story and he wants to eat the pigs, doesn't that mean the moral of the story is that bad guys eat pork? How could that offend Muslims?

12. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

3 Little Pigs now Too Offensive!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7204635.stm

:eek: OMG why don't people in this country get a spine and stop worrying about offending people. Its freaking ridiculas now!

Maybe if more British people started screaming everything is racist and then a small minority decide to run around blowing themselves up we wouldn't have this problem.

Sorry just venting....

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It doesn't, but some overly sensitive or overly cautious people are worried it might. I might also offend builders and construction workers apparently. Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

14. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    You know, I always thought England had a spine and a rather large (and arguably highly ornate) pair of balls. Guess maybe I was wrong. Bunch of liberal knee-jerk reactionary crap.

Good thing Field Marshal Montgomery and PM Churchill aren't around to see what a mess is being made of their native soil.

Of course, we're not doing too much better over on this side of the pond.

Of all the things we had to export, why the h*ll did it have to be Political Correctness?!?

15. Queso macrumors G4

<Wahabist extremism>
    Because it makes out that Jews aren't evil!!! :mad::mad::mad:
    </Wahabist extremism>

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

More than likely it was government think-tanks overthinking. I remember the last time something similar happened a Muslim wrote an article saying she wasn't in the least offended by what they were worried about, what she was offended by was them making the assumption that she would be offended by it.

Mind you, now that it's actually been brought to light, it wouldn't surprise me to hear a few going 'yes actually that does offend us'.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which shows how policy teams seem remarkably free of the minorities they want to champion, speaking from personal experience. All full of white middle-class people from university backgrounds.

18. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I agree with the 2 following posts.

---

OMG you have to be ******** me?! (pardon my language!)
    I mean c'mon. Not to sound racist here, because I'm not but they're allowed to have all their festivals and such and we don't get offended but little things like a nursery rhyme, we're not allowed because they'll get offended. It's just silly! Whatever next?!

19. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

That's the point, it's not Muslims who have banned it's it white men in suits.

My best friend is a Muslim and he is offended by them banning it, he's not offended by the little pigs story.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Or not;

Read. The. Article. Nothing has been banned. You are fanning your own outrage.

21. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I suppose your right. :eek:

Thing is they always seem to think about them and not us in this sort of thing, it's getting silly now! I don't think anyone was that offended in the first place really. We're here too and we obviously need to co-exist. Didn't they change the "Bar bar Black sheep" to "Bar Bar Woolly sheep"? That's what my sister in law says and she was a Nursery Nurse but don't know if she made that up or not.

They need to spend government money researching stuff more worthwhile.

22. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I thought it ended up being rainbow sheep? You know because there are a lot of multicoloured sheep out there.

23. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'll. Restate. Shall. I. It was rejected from the awards because "the use of pigs raises cultural issues". That in my eyes is pretty much banning it from the awards.

24. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

I suppose there could quite possibly be.............. if you've been taking those darn mushrooms again :p

25. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Don't look at me, look at the idiots that think calling a black sheep black is offensive. :D

"We have decided that the colour black is offensive to black people. We have decided to call it Rainbow"

So now a black hole is called a Rainbow Hole and the Care Bears are REALLY pissed!

*thinks maybe he has been at the mushrooms* :p