Three officers dead because of lack of proper gun control

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macaddicttt, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I dare anyone to defend this guy's supposed "right" to own an AK-47. :mad:

Link

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Macaddicttt

Have you seen the body armor the deer are wearing these days?

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

My friend owns an M-16. He enjoys collecting guns and shooting them (at targets).

I don't have huge collection of guns, but I think it's a blast to go to a shooting range and have some fun.

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Double dare?

It'd be much easier to cause more damage than that by running a truck through a crowd with your foot on the pedal. The ability to hurt people has always been there... and always will be.

Millions of guns are sold every year... to law abiding, family loving, God fearing people who have no desire to hurt another human being. Apparently a few insane nut jobs using them for the wrong reasons means that the rest of them can't have them?

I think we should outlaw cheeseburgers and cars. And alcohol. They do FAR more damage to this society than guns. Heck, they probably do more damage in one day than guns do in an entire year.

But heck, what do I know... the constitution rarely has anything to do with the decisions we make anymore anyway. :)

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

A real M-16 or a CAR-15 or AR-15?

6. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Doctors: (A) There are 700,000 physicians in the U.S. (B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians total 120,000 per year. (C) Accidental death percentage per physician is 0.171.
    Guns: (A) There are 80 million gun owners in the U.S. (B) There are 1,500 accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups. (C) The percentage of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.0000188.

Statistically, then, doctors are 9,000 times more dangerous to the public health than gun owners.

The AMA doesn't limit a doctor's license for malpractice in one state, they would just have to move to another state and could continue practice. You mess up with a gun and you're gone for a long time.

Sure you may have nutcases like this who mess it up for others but that doesn't mean no one should be allowed to own something. According the statistics provided above, no one should practice medicine.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm not really 100% sure. I think it might be an AR-15. I would have to ask.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

While I mostly agree with you- do you have a link for those stats? I'd love to know where you got them for future reference.

9. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

The bad people will have guns, regardless of the laws. Gun carrying laws should be more laxed for law-abiding people who go through a process, training, and testing. This would level the playing field and would likely reduce crime rates with firearms.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you! It's all about education people- just like anything else.

11. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Well the original numbers are said to come from the U.S. department of Health and Human Services, although are hard to find in their original form. Those numbers have been published in the Canada Free Press and other newspaper outlets, whether or not they're completely credible, I don't know, but I'm sure they're somewhat legitimate.

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Exactly! I'm all about owning guns, just be educated.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Jesus, that's terrible! :(

<editing out gun control bit because I don't want to bother>

14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Fine, I will.

Someone with a hunting rifle could have done far better than this fool with his expensive weapon.

So what now? Another ban on scary looking guns? I remember the last one fondly, striking out at guns that looked dangerous but most people avoided because they were junk.

When you get all the illegal guns off the street then come to me looking for the legal ones. One example out of millions of responsible gun owners doesn't mean much. The rate per thousand of abuse by legal owners is so low it doesn't even enter court battles because it benefits the defense

15. remmy macrumors 6502a

These gun control threads have been numerous and it is always proven that guns save lives, lead to world peace where as gun control costs the lives of cute kittens and caused the world economy to crash.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Strange that isn't it.:D

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then again- you could add to the discussion. :rolleyes: But if snarky comments are all you can muster, I guess we'll have to live with that too. :)

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't understand the relevance of the figures even if accurate,unless your suggesting the person accidently killed the policemen.

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

More people are killed by physicians than crazy people with guns.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What you said.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The thing is, those figures are comparing accidental deaths caused by doctors against accidental deaths caused by guns. Given that this latest incident wasn't accidental, wouldn't comparing deaths caused intentionally by doctors and those caused intentionally by gun-toting crazy types be better?

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The figures were referring to accidental gun deaths.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I thought the issue was gun control. That's what the thread title says anyway. And regardless, there are crazy people in the world who do horrible things. They're going to do them no matter what we do. Denying ordinary citizens, like iBlue, the right to own guns isn't going to do one thing to stop people like this.

24. bartelby macrumors Core

Intent is a very hard thing to work out from coroner's reports.

EDIT (stupid hitting the wrong buttons)

So working out how many people Drs intentionally kill is near impossible.

25. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Don't we have a war on drugs too? Seems to me that if I wanted some cocaine right now, I'd be able to get some within the hour. I don't think we're going to do much better with a ban on guns. Besides, as lee mentioned, someone intent on killing lots of people will find a way to make it happen one way or the other.

Perhaps we should be focusing our attention on issues involving mental health, instead?