Three strikes system in UK looking more unlikely

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iPhone 62S, Nov 24, 2009.

1. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8376004.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8374732.stm

"A user's internet access may be restricted, if necessary and proportionate, only after a fair and impartial procedure including the user's right to be heard." - meaning Mandelson's proposed system is now against EU law

"Meanwhile protests over the UK bill have grown, with 11,000 signing an e-petition against it while others predicted "civil unrest" as a result of the bill." - loads of protest against this thing

"It could destabilise business and destabilise innovation," said Mr Killock. [executive director of the Open Rights Group] "It means entirely trusting to bureaucrats and politicians to get it right." - lots of people and organisations are against it

Not to forget that BT don't like it and TalkTalk plan to sue the government if they go ahead with this thing.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Can this be used against train drivers? I'm sure it will get a lot more support that way.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It sounds like the ISPs over there have a little sense at least by telling the copyright holders to make their products available in digital form for customers.

The problem I have with government intervening in situations such as these (at least in the US) is that the congress is too damn old and technologically out of the loop to do an effective job at policing the system. Some of them probably don't even know what the internet is still.

I would definitely sign the petition if I lived in the UK.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh, I don't know... I think everyone knows by now that the internet isn't like a truck. It's a series of tubes.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

HAHAHA, I haven't seen that video in forever. *goes to youtube*

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy