Three UK - No Visual Voice Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreatOldOne, Jul 6, 2010.

1. GreatOldOne macrumors member

As the title. Hadn't realised that the operator didn't provide what I'd come to believe was a standard offering on the iPhone (Silly me, but that comes from being tied to O2 since 2G launch day.... ;))

Only just found this out by accidently tapping the voicemail icon in the phone app - and it dialled Three instead of dispalying the usual interface.

I've searched online, and come up blank - does anyone know if three plan on offering VVM in the future? Possibly with the 'real' launch of the iP4 in three stores?

Failing that, has anyone have any experience with the HulloMail service and app? It seems to offer the same functionality, but at the expense of bundled minutes when listening to calls.

Minor niggle really, but I miss it! (Tethering goes a long way to make up for it though! :))

2. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Yeah it's the same story with all the other networks. O2 is the only one to support visual voicemail. The others are considering it, but as usual, "have nothing to announce at this time". :)

3. faffoo macrumors 6502

What does three offer in the way of tethering then?

4. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

It's free.

Visual Voicemail is hardly a big point is it, It's nice to have it but the traditional calling Voicemail is fine, or even use the Hullomail app which countless others have recommended and use daily.

If 3 is the best network in the area, and nice and cheap - Stick with them.

5. GreatOldOne thread starter macrumors member

I intend to stay with three (I have to - I signed a 2 year contract :))

Tethering comes out of your monthly allowance - they don't care how it's consumed, be it direct on the iPhone, or via a connected device.

6. AeroScap macrumors newbie

Hullomail works flawlessly patches through automatically and the person calling doesnt even know and is just like visual voice mail. Only con is that its a separate app and not built into the phone voicemail option... oh well!

7. faffoo macrumors 6502

Really??

Why do they say online then that you have to pay £10 a Monty for tethering

8. GreatOldOne thread starter macrumors member

Dunno - I signed up on launch day in the Apple store in MK, £30 month tarrif (500mins, 5000 SMS, 1GB, unlimited 3 to 3 calls)

Next day I got a carrier update pushed to me, and once it was accepted I had the tether option in the General -> Network options page in the settings app. Switched it on, cabled it up to my MBP and off it went - no issues!

I wonder if the tether option is an add on for PAYG?

9. faffoo macrumors 6502

That is the exact contract I am getting. That will be great then. Can't wait.

10. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Implementing VVM is a cost issue for the other providers. This is what I have been told and this is why Vodafone, Orange, 3 etc. have not provided the feature. For what it's worth I wouldn't hold out for them to bring it to you either, not any time in the short to medium future anyway.

As for HulloMail? It's brilliant. Does the job of VVM and it's free.

11. GreatOldOne thread starter macrumors member

Ok - I've downloaded Hullo, and so far so good - test VMs from my work phone show up and it plays out my greeting. I'll trial it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Technically everything is OK, but someone should send them the Dummies guide to UI design. :)

12. rikscha macrumors 6502a

two years later, still no VV on Three UK.

It is ridiculous - VV was in fact one of the big features of the original iPhone.