Throttled by Verizon! aaaghhh!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megatronic, Jun 13, 2012.

1. megatronic, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

megatronic macrumors newbie

Entering Day 2 of what I can only assume is me being seriously throttled by Verizon. Webpages are taking forever to load; completely unable to stream music; web-based apps not working; etc etc etc. I don't have wifi at home and I basically use my iPhone for everything (my data is usually around 3.0gb/month). Kind of thought "unlimited data" meant, you know... unlimited data. Silly me.

Anyway, since yesterday, my DL speed has repeatedly been 0.05mbps. Yesterday my up was a whopping 0.63mbps, but today it's all of zero.

I heard of a dude who recently took AT&T to small claims court over this issue and won. Has anyone else taken similar courses of action?
    Any other thoughts on how to deal with this ish (besides just jumping ship to Sprint)?

D:

-meg

[​IMG]

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

That's what happens when you stream.

I'd call them up and ask nicely if they can do anything about it.

3. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

That's not throttling... That's just congestion.

Honestly I've seen those speeds and I have a 2GB plan. It's ridiculous how slow Verizon's 3G network is. I'm debating whether I should just sell this 4S and buy the next LTE iPhone

EDIT: Exaggerations aside. I find that those throttled speeds are speeds I see sometimes with 5 bars in a populated area. It's annoying. Makes Siri unusable and makes me look like an idiot saying "Call X" over and over again.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What gives you the idea that they're throttling you over there being an actual data issue? Neither company will arbitraily throttle you and 3GB seems as though you're not in the higher of the highs in use. In order to sue you need to provide proof of throttling but you also need to provide reasonable evidence that they would have cause. Did you call VZW and talk to them about your data issue? Did you reboot your phone and perhaps reset your network settings? Where are you located? Is this an all day occurrence? Do you have record of it? I would first exhaust all reasonable causes of network issues before I jump on the idea that I'm going to sue a company for a couple hundred bucks.

5. xiaodedraco macrumors newbie

You must be talking about this guy...
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-02-24/att-data-sued-iphone/53236222/1

Secondly I don't think sprint is the best way to go either. There 3G networks are slow!! However if you really want to consider jumping ship to another carrier. Consider cricket. They will be getting the iPhone on the 22nd of this month. And they have TRUE unlimited everything! No contracts and no caps!

http://m.engadget.com/2012/05/31/cricket-now-offers-the-iphone-with-55-unlimited-everything-pl/

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Below are Verizon's stated conditions for throttling. At 10:41AM, do you really think the cell site you were connected to was congested?

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

What do you mean by "won"? AT&T didn't stop throttling his unlimited plan. The judge awarded him money to switch over to a higher-GB/month limited plan.

7. cynics, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

cynics macrumors G3

Looks like my typical Verizon 3G speeds on their congested network. I keep my iPhone tethered to my LTE tablet to avoid their bush league 3G.