Throttling AT&T (LTE iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Oct 16, 2012.

1. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

I've b***ched about the throttling issue I've had and I have to say even being throttled my device is performing fast with still low pings . I don't notice a significant difference 'to write home about'. This is the 1st I've been throttled.

Is it a fluke that I'm experiencing good performance? Is it because of the low pings in the 40's? I can surf, stream, check email without any hiccups.

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

Nope, not a fluke. That is the normal performance when throttled. I think some people exaggerate how bad it is. One guy complained he couldn't send an iMessage or even load a map. I was able to do everything, including stream Netflix to my TV.
    Best part is there are no overage fees no matter how much you use.

3. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

I complained too because I was doing some speed tests. Funny how speed tests don't tell the real story.

4. ProudLoz macrumors regular

I think that guy must've been in a bad area. For example, I work, I get at least 10 MBs down on HSPA+ on my iPhone 5, constantly when I do speedtests. It's fast, the ping is low and it never hiccups at all.

However, when I get home and get LTE, the signal is just unrealiable. LTE hiccups a bit, and even HSPA+ is a bit unreliable sometimes. It definitely has to do with the area you're in.

5. auero macrumors 65816

I'm curious what will happen to me. I used to only use ~1gb a month (heavy IMO for the amount of browsing I do) now I'm at 1GB in only a week in a half.

This is all on 3G as I don't have LTE access near me. Is the cap still at 5GB? My HSPA+ speeds are 4-5 times faster than they were on my 4S for some reason.

6. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

Our 2 sons have 4's and I have a 5. I think the throttled speed is better on an LTE device.

I don't know why your HSPA + speeds are faster.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

The throttling starts at 5 GB if you have an LTE device such as the iPhone 5. It sounds like you aren't going to hit 5 GB at your current rate though.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

My daughter just got her first throttling message on the 4S last week. She says she can't tell a difference.

9. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

I think it's the low pings that helps. I can't tell a difference myself. I'm beginning to think the throttling is exaggerated.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

11. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

What do you mean?

12. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

With the iphone 4 i never got a throttling message. With the 5 on At&t after 2-3 weeks im approaching the 5GB limit. I believe its only due to me signing up for itunes match and getting all my songs downloaded.