Throwaway/Temporary Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KJmoon117, Aug 4, 2012.

1. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

For those who sold their iPhones in anticipation of the next iPhone, what phone will you be using?

I ask mainly because I have a 4S and while I can wait until September 12 to sell, it would mean that my 4S would seriously lose its value [compare to now]. So I need advice on what phone I should use while waiting.

(I hesitate to ask this on the iOS Alternative forum since I'm not trying to ask people who've switched over to Android. Just those who will be upgrading to the next iPhone)

2. lejudicieux macrumors member

It depends on what you need your phone for (business/pleasure) and what you want to spend on the throwaway.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

An old iphone 3?

A simple flip phone? You can buy at walmart for $25, or even some at ATT for $10.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just hold onto the iPhone until you have your new one. It isn't worth making an extra $20

5. 617aircav Suspended

Any phone will do since you are not worried about being without your 4s.

6. k3roro macrumors 6502

To be honest, not sure if the "loss in value" is worth the hassle, it is still a month away.

iPhone probably maintains the most, value-wise of all the phones out there.

7. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You think the value difference is just $20?

Hmm... If so then I guess I would keep my phone. It's not like I use my iPhone for business but I am going to seriously miss having a keyboard to type, checking my email, etc.

*sigh* I feel gloomy just thinking about going without a smartphone for a few weeks.

8. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Well im guessing you made up your mind ?

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It may not be only $20, but I was still able to sell an iPhone 3G, that's right a 3G not even 3GS, when I got my iPhone 4 for a cool $300. Not bad for being even after the iPhone 4. The 3G I still see is going on eBay for $200, still pretty nice with the 4S around.

10. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Sold my 4S. Using a GSM Galaxy Nexus until next iPhone arrives.

11. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, not yet. I'm leaning towards keep my iPhone until maybe a week or two before announcement and then selling it. But I'm still worried about the loss of value. I paid nearly $400 for 4S with AppleCare and I'm hoping to make some of that up since I'll have to purchase an iPhone off contract.

Ah, the benefits of using a GSM carrier. Can't do that with Verizon :( I have plenty of GSM phones that I could use if I were AT&T.