Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Throwboy, known for its Iconic Pillow Collection featuring a selection of plush pillows designed to look like Apple devices, today launched a new selection of mini pillows called the "Pocket Pillows."

throwboyclassicmac.jpg

Like their larger-sized siblings, the Pocket Pillows are modeled after Apple devices. The first palm-sized pillows are made to mimic the 1984 Classic Macintosh and the 1998 iMac G3, and they can be ordered today on Kickstarter. Depending on how the campaign goes, additional classic Apple products could be turned into little desktop plushes.

throwboypocketpillows.jpg

Each plush is made from a soft, huggable material and is embroidered to resemble one of Apple's Macs. The detail for each pillow is impressive, with all ports, vents, drives, and other features sewn on. Inside the Pocket Pillow, there's a plush filling along with pellets to give them some heft.

throwboyimacg3.jpg

Unlike the couch-sized standard Iconic pillows, the smaller Pocket Pillows are designed for a desk, shelf, or nightstand.

throwboypocketpillowfilling.jpg

Pocket Pillows can be pre-ordered for $15 each, or $30 for two, though there are some early bird backing options that are a few dollars cheaper. We don't typically feature Kickstarter projects as many of them don't come to fruition, but Throwboy is an established manufacturer that already has a line of plushes available. Pocket Pillows are expected to ship out in May 2020.

Article Link: Throwboy Launches New 'Pocket Pillows' Featuring Original Macintosh and iMac G3 Designs

kanki1985

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
Its weird when established players start featuring on kickstarter.. Its as if they have no future vision or roadmap and dint plan financially beforehand..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Its weird when established players start featuring on kickstarter.. Its as if they have no future vision or roadmap and dint plan financially beforehand..

There is nothing ‘weird’ about it, You’re not accustomed to blueprint productions. The creator has to have a ‘business model’ to create a product that they believe in, but they don’t have the financial resources/means to actually mass produce the item through a supplier, marketing, warehouse distribution, etc. That’s the whole point of Kickstarter, is to show support and it provides the creator if there is a demand for the product, alongside raising the potential funds in the meantime.

Unless, the creator would have the support from an outside investor, as an alternative route.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There is nothing ‘weird’ about it. Perhaps you’re not accustomed to blueprint production. The creator has have a business model to create a product that they believe in, but they don’t have the financial resources/means to actually mass produce the item through a supplier, marketing, warehouse distribution, etc. That’s the whole point of Kickstarter, is to show support and it provides the creator if there is a demand for the product, alongside raising the potential funds in the meantime.

Unless, the creator would have the support from an outside investor, as an alternative route.

You missed his point: His assertion is the "alternative route" should be self funding. They're an existing business established in 2007, with a brand, revenue, distribution, warehousing, bulk manufacturing, sales, etc., so his perspective: they should be able to, through prior revenue and existing manufacturing channels, be able to offer a new product without Kickstarter.

@kanki1985 I totally understood your post, the thing is, Kickstarter has moved from just a platform to support startups, to a "market viability" assessment solution. I don't believe they're particularly unable to manufacturer on their own, but this gives them cover for the costs, a feedback channel and a mechanism to identify interest / buyers - at the same time! So I get why even profitable companies, particularly smaller companies, might go this route. :)
[automerge]1579891647[/automerge]
Cute but I much prefer their full sized series, such as 1984 Macintosh and 1989 iMac. And my personal favorite Finder icon.

I always stumble on this company, want to buy, bookmark it, then forget about till it comes up in the news again :D Thanks! I've got to get one of those Finder pillows :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.