thumb drive is suddenly unreadable any free or inexpensive apps for recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, May 31, 2012.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Is there a mac app that can recover a suddenly unreadable thumb drive?

it was working fine when suddenly I plugged it into my pc, & a message showed me that I needed to format the drive.

I then plugged it into my mac & the same thing happened, it wanted to format it, it was showing as a blank drive. It was a fairly full drive, not completely full.

I found disk drill, & the free version is no good, it will only recover if I pay a hefty $89.00 dollars for an upgrade to the "pro" version.

are there any other truly free or under $50.00 apps that will find & recover my files?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What file system was the drive using prior to it becoming corrupted? Obviously, you can't check now. If you remember, though, please share - it'll help us locate software.

3. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Tough Luck, I think

Last three times that happened to me (on different thumb drives) it meant that the drive was no more, it ceased to exist, broke, kicked the bucket...
    Sorry
    Even your files are probably gone
    thumb drives are only good for data transport, not data storage.

best of luck in future thumb drives. ;)

4. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was FAT32, an 16gb vHPw

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont understand how to find the actual program to run, I downloaded a rar file, but there does not seem to be an actual app to click on & run.

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

unpack the rar file with some kind of file extraction program. rar is a filetype that compresses kind of like .zip does. unpack the file and use the .dmg file that is probably contained within. good luck. hope you get your data back.