Thumb drive

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by darngooddesign, Sep 14, 2017.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Does the Files app allow you to copy files, like a PDF or movie for example, over from a computer (Mac and/or PC) and have access to it? Can you then long press on it and specify which app to open it with?

2. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Files itself doesn't but it has APIs that ought to let developers who already produce apps for browsing thumb drives integrate into it.

3. darngooddesign, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

Perhaps thumbdrive was the wrong way of phrasing it; I meant can you use the ipad like a Thumbdrive. Or lets say I have a movie on my PC. After connecting it, can I copy the movie to my iPad and then play it on the iPad.

4. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

What sort of connection do you have in mind? Wired? Wireless?

Anyway I think the answer is yes. If you look at the capabilities of an app like Documents by Read let or the like. Apps that do SMB/CIFS connections to Windows and so on. These can plug into Files if they choose to, and I think they will.

A lot of people have expressed disappointment with what Files can do in the beta but I think the extensibility is what is going to make that useful. You'll see spots doing that over the coming weeks.