Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atacinus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
New York City
this is a question i should know the answer to but i don.t...i want to display images on a website in thumbnail form but i don.t want to a) make smaller versions of the images to load and then on click simply link to the bigger image or b) just adjust the height and width because it still loads the entire image...is the only way to do this to make separate images that are smaller? is that what thumbnail programs do?

Thanks,
Christien

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yep, your only other option is a thumbnail program. all that will do is generate smaller versions of the images, but you have to do it that way, as you said shrinking the image will load the entire thing anyway (tho broadband users appreciate this).

paul

kettle

macrumors 65816
um..

yes. It is just insane to have full size images as the thumbnail resource, even if all your viewers are broadband, this is mostly because you could risk large bandwidth charges depending on how your site hosting is paid for.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
you could use PHP with the GD function...

search around at sites like hotscripts.com for simple photo galleries. i found one that will just create thumbnails for the current directory and display the full size on click. i don't remember the link to it because it was not included with the file itself.

example

i changed the original file that i download to a much more stripped down version. if you really want, i can give you my modified version to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.