Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reticuli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Northern Ireland
I really like the look of the thunderbay 4 mini
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be widely available at any half decent price in the UK.

Does anyone know of an alternative solution where I can put 4 SSDs in a nice neat enclosure, Raid0 them and use over thunderbolt 2 as a super fast volume?

Thanks!

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I really like the look of the thunderbay 4 mini
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be widely available at any half decent price in the UK.

Thanks!

Why not buy it direct from OWC? I bought two of them, and I live in Australia :)

----------

Wouldn't Raid-0 4 SSDs be a lot faster than the Thunderbolt 2 bus can deliver?

Not really, the Thunderbay 4 mini delivers about 380MB/sec per drive, so 4 of them in RAID0 would hit the maximum speed threshold of the Thunderbay 4 mini, which I believe is 1350MB/sec. So no, it wouldn't strain a TB2 bus...

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
Not really, the Thunderbay 4 mini delivers about 380MB/sec per drive, so 4 of them in RAID0 would hit the maximum speed threshold of the Thunderbay 4 mini, which I believe is 1350MB/sec. So no, it wouldn't strain a TB2 bus...

That's roughly what I see out of my 4 SSD RAID0 setup in a TB4 Mini. Actual numbers tested out between 1200 and 1300 MB/s IIRC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.