Thunderbolt & 1280 600Hrz Plasma Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfII, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cfII macrumors regular

I am using my plasma but the picture is HORRIBLE. Its super dark and poor quality, I don't get it, its a 1280pixel 600Hertz Plasma...I m using a thunderbolt w the HDMI adapter. I have also gone to displays in SYSTEM PREFERENCES and tried all that, to no avail. I just want my MBP picture to FIT my 50" when I click "mirror"

this is a high end tv
    I am playing XPLANE if that makes a difference

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The problem is that you're trying to mirror it. It will never look good if you try to mirror it, as your computer and TV have different native resolutions. That limits it to the lower resolution, which is most likely the MBP.

3. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

It looks WAYYYYY better on my MBPs screen its the hi res antiglare,

So what resolution settings should I use?

4. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Turn display mirroring off. Should be an option in the drop down menu on the display icon in the top menu bar. If not go find it through system preferences.

5. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

I did that and now only a small peice of the screen is displayed. Anyone have a link that talks about this?

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Set the resolution to 1080p, and that should fix that problem. It will likely just be the default background displayed and you can drag stuff onto that screen from the laptop screen.

7. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

So am I essentially creating a new monitor? I'd really just like the tv to duplicate my mbp screen larger

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

It'll end up looking crappy because they don't have the same native resolution.

You could set your MBP's screen resolution to 720P or 1280x720 and mirror it, your TV will look good and display that resolution well, but it's going to look like crap on your MBP.

Another option is to use clamshell mode, and use the TV as the main screen, and an external keyboard and mouse combo.