Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
keep thinking about getting an external SSD for my 2017 imac for booting up, but always expensive compared to usb 3.

then I saw this.

Thunderbolt 3 SSD Enclosure, WAVLINK Type-C Thunderbolt 3 NVMe PCIe M Key M.2 SSD External Enclosure, 50CM Thunderbolt 3 Pigtail Cable

€58
€270

Wavlink Type-C Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe SSD Classic
The Thunderbolt™ 3 NVMe SSD Enclosure is designed with unique Leather chassis effect and user-friendly installation. It provides data transfer speed up to 6-7 times faster than SATA due to its NVMe spec (PCIe Gen3 x4lanes), and can transfer a 4K movie within seconds. The product is popular among Thunderbolt™ 3 systems users, Macbook enthusiasts for example. It isalso a great solution for gamers to load and boost game in a blink.

Attention:
NVMe SSD can be installed
1. NVMe SSD thickness below 2.5mm.( Design for single sided NVMe SSD Only).

NVMe SSD can NOT be installed
1. NVMe SSD thickness OVER 2.5mm. ( components on a double layer PCB).
2. NVMe SSD combined with heat-sink can not be assembled.

System Requirement:
1. Only compatible with Thunderbolt™ 3 computers
2. Compatibility with Windows and MacOS

Working Standards:
Laptop or Desktop with Thunderbolt™ 3 system

Features:
- Thunderbolt 3 NVMe M Key m.2 SSD enclosure, Support PCI-Ex4, Theoretical transmission speed up to 40Gb/s (MAX). Test data(Samsung 970 Evo 250G: Lenovo Thinkpad T470 (x2) read: 1400+ MB/s, write: 1500+ MB/s; Macbook pro 2018 (x4) read: 2700+ MB/s, write: 1500+ MB/s. Not all Thunderbolt 3 computers are x4 full speed, part of which maybe x2.
- Only NVMe M.2 M-Key SSD is supported. (B-Key M.2 SSD based on SATA and PCI-E M.2 SSD based on AHCI are not supported)
on wish.com. I know it all comes from china, but is there anything obviously wrong with getting this and sticking an internal SSD in it?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I purchased an inexpensive multidisk enclosure and had a lot of problems with it. Disks kept ejecting for no obvious reason.

Purchased a more expensive one from a highly regarded manufacturer and have had no problems. You also likely get better support/repair/replace options.

So you are taking a chance on their firmware and hardware.

Reactions: madeirabhoy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.