Thunderbolt + MDP-HDMI Adapter + HDMI-DVI Cable Not Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonzoguy24, Mar 13, 2011.

1. gonzoguy24 macrumors member

I just moved from a 2010 Macbook Air to one of the new 13" MBP and went to plug in my P2311H Dell Monitor only to find out it did not work!

I previously used a MDP-HDMI Adapter with an HDMI-DVI cord to plug in the monitor with my macbook air no problem.

Got my new MBP 13" only to find out it does not work at all. I tried another HDMI-DVI cord and still nothing. The MBP detects the monitor but displays nothing.

Part of me wants to drop the extra dough and get a MDP-DVI adapter to use with just a regular DVI cord but I do not want to spend the extra money when this set up I had before should work fine.

There are several posts on Apple's support forums about problems with Thunderbolt and DVI.

What do i do?!?!

Another note, on the new MBP, when I use the MDI to HDMI adapter with an HDMI to HDMI cord on my HDTV, it works just fine.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try going to System Preferences and then Displays and click on Detect Displays. See if that works.

3. gonzoguy24 thread starter macrumors member

It does detect the display. I then hit gather displays. I tried all sorts of different resolutions and still nothing! No image shows up on the monitor. Zero zip nada!

4. gonzoguy24 thread starter macrumors member

5. TitanApe macrumors member

Is the 13" mbp power cord plugged in? If not, plug it in and give it a try.

6. gonzoguy24 thread starter macrumors member

7. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I think Apple hates Dell. In this latest round of MBP updates, my 2011 thinks my Dell U2410 is a TV when I connect it using a mini Displayport to Displayport cable. But it works fine when I use my Apple mini DP to DVI adaptor.

I think Thunderbolt is auto-detecting the type of cable you're using and in this case, Displayport and HDMI are TV's and it's treating anything connected that way as such.

8. gonzoguy24 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just wondering. How do I take this up with apple??

I would love to be able to use my monitor

9. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Oh, that must be it! I tried a Thunderbolt -> HDMI adapter with a HDMI -> HDMI cable and it worked great! I use the same adapter with a HDMI -> DVI cable, no luck. That is really annoying, I don't want to buy two different adapters. Has anyone found a way to fix this? Must be a driver issue.

10. gonzoguy24 thread starter macrumors member

I had to buy two different adapters...I brought my MBP and my Dell (DVI input only) monitor into a store and confirmed the issue with my MBP and the one they had on the floor. It is only the 13" model that has the issue. Those with dedicated GPUs did not have any issue.

11. kundrnik macrumors newbie

SOLUTION (at least for me!)

1) Go ahead and turn off the MacBook Pro and disconnect everything from all ports.
    2) Then plug in your 85W MagSafe Power Adapter that came with your computer.
    3) HOLD Control + Option + Shift and afterwards, press the power button ONCE. (Nothing should turn on) --> This will reset some console/management drivers which may have glitched during a software update.
    4) Turn on the computer (normally, without pressing anything)
    5) After it is fully booted up, plug in your Minidisplay Port --> DVI --> HDMI cord and you should be up and going with your second monitor/TV/etc.

Hope this works for you like it did for me.

12. mvanstaveren macrumors newbie

Bad Apple Experience

Well, it did not work for me.. :( I am from the Netherlands

I bought a deal extreme adapter and dvi did not work.
    Then I bought a 40 Euro griffin adapter with mDP to HDMI to DVI and DVI did not work.
    I think somehow thunderbolt is screwing with the dvi protocol, or they changed something in the new port.

I am having a really bad apple experience here... and its my first macbook (new 2011 13 inch).

I really need a fix. I need my monitor :(, going to return the adapter to the applestore towmorrow, maybe the original will work, still sucks as it is 30 buck for just DVI or HDMI...:(

13. tomhennigan macrumors newbie

Having the same issue with a new MBP. Seems to have been happening since the last software update (10.6.7). The cable I'm using is a mini-display port to HDMI cable. Have tried with various TVs and screens etc. Even tried manually reverting the 2 updated kexts from 10.6.6 (AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext). Would be interested to know if anyone else has had any luck. It was all working great before the update..