Thunderbolt monitor alternatives for Macbook pro (late 2011)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trusoul, Nov 23, 2015.

1. trusoul macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this community.
    Can someone give me a recommendation on a good external monitor for my Macbook pro (late 2011) aside from the Thunderbolt monitor? I'm currently looking at the "Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor", but I'm not sure if its compatible with my Macbook.

Let me know if there is any additional information I can provide.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No your mac doesn't have the connection bandwidth to run a 4K screen even if your graphics card supported it, you may get 24Hz over HDMI but I wouldn't count on it. Apples blurb rates your highest external resolution support as

"Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors."

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Also - Apple Thunderbolt Display is a very good display and companion to your MacBook.
    Just it's not worth it's current asking price anymore. For a 50% discount I would still take it.
    Actually, I did.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

First question....timeline: how much longer do you plan on using a 2011 Mac? If you will migrate to a newer 4K capable Mac in the next year or so, you can use a 4K monitor at 2K. Then when you upgrade the Mac, the monitor can be reused at 4K.

Second question...what apps: If you want max image quality for photo editing you likely want an IPS based monitor. But that is not important and you want fast action gaming the IPS units has slow refresh and you would likely be better off with a TN based monitor. Describe your use case.

6. jmwagner95 macrumors newbie

This summer I was in a similar situation, except with a 2009 (!!!) macbook. I sprung for a 2015 Rmbp which has since made life a million times easier as it is a more polished and sleek machine all around. I then got a used-like-new thunderbolt display off eBay for a reasonable price, and absolutely love that as well.

I would suggest looking to upgrade you're current mbp to a newer model, basking in the glory of the new machine, and then either look out for great thunderbolt deals on eBay or going the Dell route mentioned above.

best,
    john

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

While a new Apple Thunderbolt Display has been rumored and wanted for year.....it could happen next year. Good chance the next generation of Macs will move to USB-C ports that run USB-3.1 and TB3 protocols. If so, that would give the bandwidth for Mac Pro and MacBooks to do TB3 to an external 5K ATD. Such a display might be back ways compatible to older Macs for doing 4K over TB2. Keep your options open.

8. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

LG has Thunderbolt displays, but only the 29-inch (2560x1080) and 34-inch (3440x1440) have Thunderbolt I think, maybe you can get 60 Hz connected to Thunderbolt and even the higher resolution.

I bought the curved 34-inch (34UC97-S) because it has 2 x TB 2.0 + USB 3.0 Hub and I wanted to buy a new 15-inch rMBP to replace my 17" Late 2011 with both.

But meanwhile I got the 5K iMac instead, so I did not unbox it to test it with my current Late 2011 MBP.

Although I wanted to do that soon with several cables (TB2, mDP to DP and mDP to HDMI).