Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I find it ironic that Apple chose to name the technology Thunderbolt. As we all (hopefully) know, thunder is sound. Lightning is light. Thunderbolt uses light though... It just made me laugh, I'm not trying to troll or anything. Just wondering if anyone else realized that.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
The next upgrade from copper, but not quite light could be called:

Thunder

then next one can be called Lightning.

Eventually when quantum computing is invented, maybe the new port could be called "StormCloud" or something.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
from what ive heard, lightpeak uses light (fiber optic?), "thunderbolt" uses copper, so really "lightpeak" (100Gbps) wont be out for a while, but instead apple has "copperpeak" in the macs right now. which is only capable of 10Gbps

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I find it ironic that Apple chose to name the technology Thunderbolt. As we all (hopefully) know, thunder is sound. Lightning is light. Thunderbolt uses light though... It just made me laugh, I'm not trying to troll or anything. Just wondering if anyone else realized that.

You must be bored. Why do you care what a company names a product?

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
The current implementation of TB doesn't use light yet, but future iterations might.

Oh, I was under the impression that it was using light. Based on how it was called "Light Peak" before, and the 2 way data transfer. I guess I was wrong.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
The name "Thunderbolt" wasn't branded by Apple but by Intel! They used Light Peak at first during development and then changed it to Thunderbolt.

Jeez people.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
You must be bored. Why do you care what a company names a product?

I don't really care. I just thought it was ironic. Why don't you ask all the people thinking iPad's naming was too much like women's sanitary napkin why they care what a company names their product?

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
You know what made me laugh? Apple having a Thunderbolt port when HTC's soon releasing the Thunderbolt.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
Yeah I agree, and was thinking the same thing. I think the name is stupid.

Lightpeak sounds futuristic, clean, precise and at the pinnacle.

Thunderbolt makes me think of some caveman period cartoon character with a war hammer and crazy hair. ie. Archaic.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
The name "Thunderbolt" wasn't branded by Apple but by Intel! They used Light Peak at first during development and then changed it to Thunderbolt.

Jeez people.

Yeah, celticpride678 already said that.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Thunderbolt sounds so stupid to me. Maybe I will get used to it who knows

I dont know how I'd use it other than maybe for an external HDD. Well I'm getting a 15" MBP next spring as a graduation present so maybe there will be an even better (and useful) technology then.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I dont know how I'd use it other than maybe for an external HDD. Well I'm getting a 15" MBP next spring as a graduation present so maybe there will be an even better (and useful) technology then.

An external Blu-ray player connected by a Thunderbolt port sounds awesome.

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
Sorry I meant the name "thunderbolt" I am all for faster ports/faster whatever. I do hope they come out with some external hardware soon that actually uses the port though.

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! Thunderbolt HOOOOOO!!!!!!

Mark my words, Mac OS Lion will be lord of the Tunderbolts.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I'm a little lost here.

Thunderbolt is a synonym of lightning. They are the same.

The thunder in 'thunderbolt' represents the condition in which lightning takes place.

This is third grade stuff here folks :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.