TiBook 100Mhz

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I think it makes sense that the 1ghz Powerbook will be either in Paris or San Francisco.

I think it might depend on the g5 release date :)

Ensign

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: Re: MWSF

Originally posted by verbose101

Sorry, but...when is MWSF? :confused:
All the information on the website is still for MWNY, but for the last couple of years it's been the second week of January.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You never know, if its just a simple speed bump and maybe they want to save the spot light for something bigger at MWSF, then we'll see October/November upgrade to 1GHz.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: Re: MWSF

Originally posted by Gelfin

All the information on the website is still for MWNY, but for the last couple of years it's been the second week of January.
I don't know if I can wait until Jan '03 for a 1Ghz model, do you think there will really be much of a speed difference between the current 800 and the 1000 when it comes out?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: MWSF

Originally posted by verbose101

I don't know if I can wait until Jan '03 for a 1Ghz model, do you think there will really be much of a speed difference between the current 800 and the 1000 when it comes out?
I think the speed difference will be around 200Mhz....... :p

Seriously though, I reckon we'll see 1Ghz before MWSF, and I don't think they'll be released at an Expo, unless it features lot's more technology as well......

And yes 200Mhz will make alot of difference, particularly on intensive tasks... 200Mhz is still a quite big jump...... :D

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MWSF

Originally posted by iGAV

I think the speed difference will be around 200Mhz....... :p

Seriously though, I reckon we'll see 1Ghz before MWSF, and I don't think they'll be released at an Expo, unless it features lot's more technology as well......

And yes 200Mhz will make alot of difference, particularly on intensive tasks... 200Mhz is still a quite big jump...... :D
Add in DDRAM as well + faster bus! Once the powermacs have the extra bits the rest will follow (pro lines anyway).

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by dukestreet
You never know, if its just a simple speed bump and maybe they want to save the spot light for something bigger at MWSF, then we'll see October/November upgrade to 1GHz.
I feel the same way about a speed bump later this year...

I'm holding off till the next generation PowerBook comes out though...it'll only be a matter time before we see speeds in excess of 1 Ghz...

ps: I like the watermark in your avatar ;)

Tokyo

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MWSF

Originally posted by iGAV
...I reckon we'll see 1Ghz before MWSF, and I don't think they'll be released at an Expo, unless it features lot's more technology as well......

I just made a chart for myself in Excel showing TiBook CPU releases. If you take the top-speed TiBook as an indicator, then we have the 500, 667 and 800, released (as far as I can determine from Apple site pages) in Jan '01, Oct '01, and April '02.

If those dates are right, then when you put them into a chart and follow the line they make up to 1GHz, it lands you smack into March 2003. Tokyo Macworld. Betcha that's how it happens.

PowerBooks went G4 more than a year after PowerMacs, I would expect the same to happen with the G5. Also, I don't think that new PowerMacs and PowerBooks are released at the same time (not processor upgrades, at least).

PowerMac G4's up to 1.4GHz at MWNY, G5's at MWSF in January 2003; 1GHz TiBooks at MW Tokyo in March 2003; then iBooks go G4 and PowerBooks go G5 in MWSF Jan. 2004. That spreads things out a bit more evenly, and takes advantage of the life left in G3s and G4s.

Tokyo

Tokyo

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Extra note: Another reason I'd expect new TiBooks in March '03 and not October '02 is timing. they just released the 800s at the very end of April--October would mean only 5 months plus change, and that's faster than any speed bump for the G4 or G3 so far in the professional lines. 11 months may be a bit long, but they've done it before.

Tokyo