Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
yeah!! new TiBooks in a few weeks! this must mean they will be released at WWDC, but i'm guess they won't get over here to Australia until about June.

it sounds pretty certain that it will be at WWDC or at least before MWNY. so what sort of new features are we looking at? are they going to release the 800MHz or just a smaller speed-bump? it also sounds certain that the superdrive will be included. i've been waiting for this for months!! i can't beleive it's finally happening!!:D :D :D
this release makes sense if there is the G5 at MWNY. i will be very dissapointed if the TiBook doesn't arrive soon.

edit>

just thought about something else. wouldn't it be nice if there was DDR RAM in the TiBook. has anyone heard anything about DDR or faster system bus?

freedom

macrumors member
Yeeeeeeah!

Blissfully welcomed, if they arrive!
But what will you do with the superdrive?
Edit dvd´s on the road?
Apple seems to be a bit too futuristic
in means of implementing new technology
in their computers…
Don´t flame me, look at my logic!
The dvd-revolution has just started, right?
The combodrives should be in every mac…

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
the superdrive will be awesome!! i can't even start to imagine how many hours of animation i could fit on a DVD!!
i don't think Apple is being too futuristic. they have to stay ahead of the mainstream computer market. things that are standard on PC's in 12 months Apple will already have at MWNY.
aren't combodrives in every Mac except the lowest of low end iMacs and iBooks? i have a very strong feeling that after NY all of the Apple range will come with combodrive as standard.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
As cool a news as it is......

The Superdrive is by no means a certainty......, and I'm not entirely sure we'll see these just yet..... but no one truely knows yet.....

More speed is important, and I'd like to think it'll be higher than 800Mhz, 900+Mhz would be nice but 1Ghz would be better...... It urgently needs better graphics aswell, and a bigger hardrive.....:D And maybe that fabled dual processor option would really be mind blowing..... but I don't think we'll see that just yet!!

I don't think we'll see DDR on the TiBook before we see it on the Power Macs, generally the portables follow the desktops.....

Granted it all sounds great, and I'd love for the Superdrive to be in the TiBook..... but as ever with Apple... we'll just have to wait and see!!! ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: TiBooks in a few weeks!!!!!

Originally posted by cb911
just thought about something else. wouldn't it be nice if there was DDR RAM in the TiBook. has anyone heard anything about DDR or faster system bus?

You're all excited and getting us going, but what's the proof? I would have to agree that the likelyhood of a new TiPB at WWDC is good, but its only speculation.

The top of the line TiPB has a 133MHz bus. I would imagine this will become standard across the line. DDR would be nice, but I'd be happier with a higher res screen.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I would get a new one if they used the Mobile Radeon 7500 or 7800 with either 32MB or 64MB of video memory. Top it all off with the choice of traditional Titanium case, or hard chromed, and I would be in heaven. Of course, I would have to get the hard chromed version, even if it cost $100-$200 more :D. A benefit of the chrome finish, would be slightly thicker materials (the chroming process adds to the thickness of the substrate).

It could also act as a signal mirror when you need one, or bounce light into peecee laptop people's face :D. Blind them with the light from an Apple bwahahahahahahahahaaa.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I'm going to add another voice of dissent here....

The last PowerBook that came standard with a SuperDrive was the Revision A Wallstreet PowerBook.. back when SuperDrive meant it read 720K/800K/and HD Floppies.

Where is this DVD-R/W style SuperDrive supposed to be coming from? Certainly not from any company that trades on any stock exchange.. since news of such a drive's existence would be plastered all over... this would be (and will be, eventually) a major breakthrough in size... it took Pioneer until the 104 model to get it the same size as a Normal, Full Sized 5.25" drive. (The 103 is noticibly longer, and difficult to mount in many enclosures)

So, I am going to steadfastly declare the 'superdrive equipped powerbook' is a complete fabrication. Hell, they even put the DVD/CDRW combo drive in the iBook first just because of size constraints.. and now less than a year later you think they're gonna slap a DVD-RW/CDRW combo in the same space... not gonna happen.

I also stand by my statement of several months ago that putting any burner into a portable whose battery cannot survive an entire burn would be foolish. So you'll be seeing lithium polymer batteries in the powerbook before (or at least at the same time as) adding a superdrive.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
If a small enough superdrive existed, apple could always do a power managment routine that would allow burning only when it was plugged in.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by chibianh
aren't we trying to get peecee people to SEE the light? and not blind them with it? heh :p

I say we do both... show them the light, and if they don't come over, blind them with it :D.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Remember when Apple first put their iBook on the market with a combo drive before the Powerbook? It would be pretty hard to fit in a Superdrive into such a small space.

This might not happen until closer to around 2003 if the following update lacks it.

Has it been done yet? Fitting a small enough DVD-R drive into the Ti?

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
IndyGopher... I'm adding my voice to yours... No SuperDrive TiBooks, at least not this year. I think a fast burner is a better option for most of the mobile professionals. I'm sure that many of them have Superdrive equiped towers either at home or work anyways. Get a gigabit rated network line, and slide the data to the tower with the dvd-r/w drive and do it there.

I can't see the current combo drive doing much to deplete the TiBook's battery any faster, since they burn pretty quick.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Portables are the new desktops

I would just like to state that my job requires that I alternate between Atlanta and London, roughly spending 1-2 months in each at a time. For this reason I use a portable. I hardly ever use it on battery only, preferring to set the machine up at my current workplace attached to the mains with a mouse and connected to the local network.

Therefore comments referring to "burn times" extending past battery life etc. is irrelevent for me as its always coupled to the mains. The vast majority of my work colleagues who also use portables use them for exactly the same reason, namely the ability to easily transport your computer system from one venue to the next. Actual use on battery only is incredibly rare. Frankly I have better things to do on a plane or a train than tap away on my computer: sleep for one.

An additional point is that I used to work in Tokyo. My friends there all use portables as space is at a premium and portables are a perfect solution to such restrictions.

IMO the original perception of laptops being geared towards road warrior types burning through batteries on the move, while still valid is no longer the dominant reason for the growth in portables. Rather its is simply the convenience of being able to pick up your system and instal it elsewhere (home, office etc.) that is the key attraction.

For this reason I would personally welcome a superdrive addition and anything else that brings the power of desktops into the flexibility of the portable.
Vanilla

quanta

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Colorado
What if....

What if the new powerbook is as revolutionary as the Ti was and is a new design altogether which can house the superdrive, cool itself efficiently enough for a faster processor and DDR RAM and has a faster bus?

To Alphatech, i'm going to be one of those mobile pros, but i don't have the sweet tower back at the desk... this will be it for me as you may remember, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for the most possible options. Whatever the result, a faster burner or a Superdrive, i'm stoked to be positioned to take advantage of the next big thing, rather than fizzle with the last of a dying breed... ha ha ha. ha.

A chrome Tibook would look pretty flashy (he he), but it's a little austentaciour for my type. i'd like one with a rubberized, rugged appeal to it. Hmmmm.

yeah.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by AlphaTech

I say we do both... show them the light, and if they don't come over, blind them with it :D.

The pee-cee users that don't come towards the light are obviously already blind in the first place. :D

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
The superdrive won't fit and maybe there is a new DVD-R/-RW drive that will, but either way the DVD burning laptop will eventually be here and I for one would prefer Apple be the company to debut it. Most people wouldn't have a huge need for it, although if it weren't a premium option it would be nice to have, and besides that DVD burning can be achieved quite well through Toast and an external Firewire DVD burner. I know that's not burning on the run, but battery issues could very well preclude that on a mobile machine anyway.
Let's hope they do come out with it, but I'd be very satisfied with a new powerbook that doesn't burn DVD's as long as there are some serious improvements over the current one.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go burn another DVD.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
How about 12 weeks...MWNY seems more likely than WWDC for new hardware.

Better video, better battery life...superdrives can wait.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
if they are going to release the G5 at NY then it makes sense to get the TiBook out there as soon as possible, so there isn't a double up of releases at NY

Rocketman

macrumors 603
USB camera on TiG4 (of course)

I got this cool (free) logitech #861050-1010 USB camera (with PC only software trying to force MSN use of course). Free is free. I figure plenty of people have them but it does not recognize automagically or even after software updastew to latest Carbon LIB today (on OS 9.2.2).

I guess anu USB webcam software MIGHT work but Quickmovie V2.1 from connetix failed despite being mac and USB (supposedly).

Ideas? Reply direct to USBcamera@v-serv.com

Rocketman
:confused:

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
All I can ask for that is critical is that they don't release a brand new computer without firewire 2 and THEN release firewire 2 a few months later. I would be really really mad if I bought a new 'puter and it couldn't use all the new peripherals that were being released.

So, a new TiBook would make me hornier than a teen at a bikini contest, but if it doesn't have Firewire 2, it would be just as frustrating.

M

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by cb911
if they are going to release the G5 at NY then it makes sense to get the TiBook out there as soon as possible, so there isn't a double up of releases at NY

This is 'proof'?

Rationalizing Apple marketing strategy based on what you think, might not work here. Apple's track record speaks for itself, you can't really pin them down to anything.

But don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a TiPB at WWDC, but I'll believe it when I see it.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I agree dukestreet, I will believe that the new TiBook (or whatever it will be called) is here when I can put my hands on it. I just hope that when it does arrive, it blows everyone away, and is not just another minor update. Speed is important, but more then a few MHz would be great. Considering how there is only a maximum of 167MHz difference between the rev a and rev b TiBooks. I can only imaging/dream about Apple releasing a GHz TiBook at the next release (NY????).

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
New notebooks

The current iBooks and PowerBooks are set for sell-out in Germany as of Monday. Apple says, no more notebook shipments in April.
Believe it guys, the new PBooks are flyin' in.

emdezet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.