Tidings of comfort and joy for Obama and the Dems

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Behold; I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

and

A year ago we were told the election heralded a sea change in how Americans wanted their government to work. As the House prepares to go home for the holidays, thumbing its nose at both the Senate and the people, it appears that it works less well than ever. The election of 2010 has been an utter disaster.

The ultimate irony, of course, is that the House's intransigence means that Republicans will be responsible for raising payroll taxes starting January 1. I see that Boehner & co. are trying to spin this as being Obama's or the Senate's fault, but I think they're fooling themselves if they think the public is going to buy it.

That's not even to mention the fact that OWS's anti-1% message seems to be resonating with the public. If this keeps up -- and it's a big if, given that the next election is 11 months away -- I think we're headed for another sea change in November 2012. I do think it's a fairly safe assumption, though. The Republicans are so totally inflexible in their "principles" that I don't see their behavior changing between now and next fall. And that's what will doom them.

And on Earth peace; good will toward men.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

OWS 1% mantra has made an enormous impact.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Obama will get a second term.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think we may be witnessing the beginning of the end for the Tea Party. While I think a 2 month deal is ********, the Senate did pass it with 89 votes. Boehner has no control over the *******e wing and the Senate Republican leadership is leaving him to twist in the wind.

Things are not looking good for the Reps, especially when the WSK editorial page says this...

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Political theater but I bet this hurts the Reps. big time.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Republicans just can't seem to stop shooting themselves in foot. I say let them stay on their course and destroy themselves.

^^^^that video illustrates the contempt Republicans have for the American people. Disgusting.

6. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

If this were happening in the Fall of 2012, I'd agree that it might help Obama. There are still a lot of battles between now and the election - including the Supreme Court and HCR, just to name one. And Americans have a very short memory - primarily due to the media.

This battle over the payroll tax will be forgotten by the time of the first Republican primary.

...unless the payroll tax holiday doesn't get passed.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thing is- no one is going to forget the Republican debates, which have been childish and petty. They've really made themselves look like fools.

8. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Admittedly, I thought the Wisconsin recall would lose momentum. And I've been proven wrong on that.

No matter what sort of asshattery the Republicans engage in, there isn't an alternative in the Republican primaries. So there won't be any sort of media narrative forming about how the vote represents some sort of rebuke of the current policies. That's why I'm betting this will be forgotten.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even so, he will be a lame duck without a coincident shift in the House. :(

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Amazing...

Now all we need is imbeciles to stop voting for them...

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Obama has (finally!) signed on to part of the solution -- he's abandoned his Kumbaya m.o. in favor of shaming the Republicans for blocking any progress, even when he tries to meet them half-way.

The other part -- and it remains to be seen if he and the Democrats will adopt this tactic -- will be to use the bully pulpit to tell America, "It's going to be this way, nothing is going to get done, unless you give me people I can work with. That means replacing tea party Republicans with moderates; that means replacing Blue Dog Dems with liberal populists." And it is incumbent upon the Democratic Party to find and run the latter as candidates in the primaries. Lastly, OWS needs to start coalescing around a few goals, such as supporting those candidates.

Until these things happen, re-electing Obama won't improve anything. The only thing it will do is keep a President Gingrich or President Romney from making things even worse. And Jesus Christ, isn't that a depressing thought.

12. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

If Obama wins, it won't be because he scored a touchdown. It will be because the Republicans got a safety.

We have a vulnerable president. Unemployment is still high. Although the US economy is recovering, The European economy is circling the toilet. It should be a cakewalk for the opposition party.

But the Republicans can't unite behind a candidate for more than about 60 days.

I still think it will be Romney as the eventual nominee. But the election is going to come down to one thing this year...

Who is less enthusiastic about their candidate?

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Holy :eek:!!!

Link

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The gutless cowards.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

These people should not be in elected office.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They don't give a flying ****. It's all about winning.

They have no concerns in life. They already have everything they ever wanted, including power.

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is getting to be a standard tactic with Republicans.

Wisconsin, nine months ago:

They are indeed cowards.

There needs to be a name for this type of tactic. How about "shove-it government"?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Douchebags. This will definitely be remembered.

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Leave it to Matt Damon to interrupt a perfectly good circle jerk.

Huffington Post

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

MATT DAMON!

[​IMG]

Sorry, just watched that movie in memory of Kim Jong Il, so that's the first thing that came to mind when I heard his name :D

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Matt Damon is clueless. Would he prefer a one term Obama and then have the GOP run things into the ground and focus on social issues and rich people again? It's not like there is another Dem running. It's either him, or the GOP. Unless you think an independent party can make an unlikely run for it. Trump? lol

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Looks like the ****storm that ensued has caused Boehner and the House to reverse course.

Now, I think McConnell is a king-sized weasel, but even he could see that Boehner's stance was a big loser. Looks like he laid down the law with the Speaker.

So, unemployment insurance and the tax deduction are safe...for now. I fully expect this will get crazy again as we approach mid-February.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No doubt. And as an outsider, I have to wonder at the reason for this move?

:rolleyes:

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Only if there is unanimous consent. If I were a democrat in the house, I would anonymously let the leadership know that there was not such consent and require everyone to come back to vote. Make the tea party Republicans put their support on record. Make them vote.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Anonymously? That's chicken **** not to mention the cost to taxpayers to fly 435 people back to Washington and then home again. :rolleyes: