TIGER IS TERRIBLE! I WANT PANTHER BACK!

punkyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2005
My friends and I split a family pack of 10.4 Tiger. We were so excited and bought it the day it came out. I think upgrading to Tiger is the biggest mistake I have ever made, and now I have to go back to 10.3. Here's why:

1- New quicktime 7.0. This program is the WORST! Hangs up on almost every QT video embedded in a webpage (i.e. Ifilm.com). All it does is put a question mark over the QT logo and freezes. This means I have to use WMP to view files . We all know WMP is the worst app. ever for Mac. Last time I had it, it crashed, and was unable to be deleted by anything other than a system wipe with clean install. Also, even when QT7 plays, the quality is choppier that QT6.5. Wow, what an upgrade apple. Nothing was wrong with QT before, and now it's one of the worst media players ever. Way to go! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2- I was excited about the widgets, but they are not all that great. The widgets do not update in the background like I think they should. When you hit your dashboard key, they fly across your screen and then wait to be updated. Depending on your internet connection this may or may not be a quick operation. If they don't load instantly, what is the purpose of having these available at "the touch of a button"? They should just update periodicaly as you do other things, so they are ready when you need them.

3- No OS 9 Classic. Anyone that has some old app's that don't work in OSX now can't use them at all, because apple got rid of Classic. This might not be a deal breaker for most, but I like knowing it's there for those rare moments.

4- Back to the Widgets. I've read a lot of post about people worried that these are a security problem waiting to happen. I gotta say, I think they're right. These will be what ultimatly brings OSX down to it's knee's. I love the security of OSX more than any other feature, and now I'm not sure I will have that for much longer.

In the end, the new feature like Automater, Spotlight, and the new Ichat are just not worth it when you look at all the problems. All the rumor sites originally said tiger was so laden with problems it wouldn't be until the end of summer before it came out. It's now apparent that Apple really did rush this out the door for whatever reason. This is not the quality control I expect with their software. I don't want the "newest and hottest", I want "the best". So now I'll just bust out my old Panther system restore disc's and go back. What a waste of money Tiger was. Oh well.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
punkyian said:
<snip>
3- No OS 9 Classic. Anyone that has some old app's that don't work in OSX now can't use them at all, because apple got rid of Classic. This might not be a deal breaker for most, but I like knowing it's there for those rare moments.
<snip>
Actually, Classic is still around in Tiger - it's just hidden until you run your first Classic application. I think Apple's considering removing Classic for good in Mac OS X 10.5, though - hiding a feature is usually a sign that it has been marked as "to be obsoleted".

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I agree. The new Spotlight feature is next to useless. Who needs to search their computer when Finder already has a Movies, Music, Documents, and Pictures subfolders. Any fool would know where to place their files in the appropriate places.

Just look at the Tiger Bugs thread, to see how bad Tiger is.

I'm sticking to Mac OS 8.6. because the OS is FAST! This whole OSX thing is way overblown. Who really needs double buffering? Or pre-emptive multitasking for that matter?

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Hmm, I've been having the same Quicktime with a question mark problem. I thought that the video in question was just down, but maybe it's a problem with QT7.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Lacero said:
I agree. The new Spotlight feature is next to useless. Who needs to search their computer when Finder already has a Movies, Music, Documents, and Pictures subfolders. Any fool would know where to place their files in the appropriate places.

I'm sticking to Mac OS 8.6. because the OS is FAST! This whole OSX thing is way overblown. Who really needs double buffering? Or pre-emptive multitasking for that matter?
pfff....OS 8.6, that's still got a GUI. GUI's are for n00bs, I'm just gonna boot in single user mode on OS X and use the command line ;)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Lacero said:

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

pixpixpix

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
left coast
Lacero said:
The new Spotlight feature is next to useless. Who needs to search their computer when Finder already has a Movies, Music, Documents, and Pictures subfolders. Any fool would know where to place their files in the appropriate places.
Couldn't disagree more. I have 30,000 high res images and jpegs on the HD and network, all with embedded metadata in the IPTC fields, and now have a fully searchable database. This is very powerful technology.

Cold_Steel

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Glouscestershire, UK
Are there settings that need to be tweaked within quicktime and/or your browswer settings to view the movies?

OS9 is pretty old skool now so deserves to be gone actually IMO although i dont use any OS9 apps so its a skewed opinion.

Matt

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Lacero said:

*tap...tap tap*

Dude, I think you just broke my sarcasm meter.

Lethal

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
pixpixpix said:
Couldn't disagree more. I have 30,000 high res images and jpegs on the HD and network, all with embedded metadata in the IPTC fields, and now have a fully searchable database. This is very powerful technology.
I also disagree - I also have tens of thousands of photos and graphics files that even using portfolio get to be a hassle. Spotlight, while not perfect yet is a huge benefit to my workflow.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Let's see, you would want to go back to 10.3 because:

1. Quick Time problems (I've experienced none of these)
2. Widget updating and security (nothing updates quickly on dial up..get DSL)

I think that about wraps up your ranting. Notice I didn't mention OS 9 as not only is it there, but something hardly to complain about as it has reached its end. Sounds like your commentary derives from reading too many envious PC sites.

Maybe you should try trolling over there.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Right, this is your first post! pumkyian.
I call troll!
10.4 Running here on a 5 year old machine, and running pretty fast.

If the widgets ran in the background, i think you'd be complaining!

"These will be what ultimatly brings OSX down to it's knee's" - i didn't realise it was close to it's knees!?

Classic's there, so there :p

My guess is that that website (i notice you only mentioned one! - use this often perhaps do you?!) has encoded in a weird way, and it'll be fixed soon

What a negative and crappy thread, sorry it was your first!

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
punkyian said:
2- I was excited about the widgets, but they are not all that great. The widgets do not update in the background like I think they should. When you hit your dashboard key, they fly across your screen and then wait to be updated. Depending on your internet connection this may or may not be a quick operation. If they don't load instantly, what is the purpose of having these available at "the touch of a button"? They should just update periodicaly as you do other things, so they are ready when you need them.

4- Back to the Widgets. I've read a lot of post about people worried that these are a security problem waiting to happen. I gotta say, I think they're right. These will be what ultimatly brings OSX down to it's knee's. I love the security of OSX more than any other feature, and now I'm not sure I will have that for much longer.
The reason they don't update in the background is because then they would be taking up resources all the time. Besides, it is only taking 5-10 seconds to load my stock and weather information. That's shorter than it would have taken for me to find and lauch their respective applications if that was how I was accessing that data... and they're out of the way when I don't need them.

As for the security, 10.4 has been out for, what, 2 weeks and there is already a
third party solution and certain to be an Apple solution within days to weeks. Chill.

Not to mention the fact that I think Spotlight alone was worth it and I didn't cheat Apple on the price like you did.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
While I certainly agree with the sentiments that the original poster was a bit over the top about his views on Tiger, and he probably was a troll, I have to admit I did like Panther better... I understand Tiger's new, and Panther was the same way in the beginning - from what I hear, I never had one single issue with Panther ever- and truth be told I'm probably just biased because I was so comfortable with Panther... Tiger doesn't really impress me the way Panther did, not sure the exact reasons-or if I could explain them even if I was- lol... I've got it, I'm using it, will continue to use it, wouldn't even consider going back to Panther- but I probably wouldn't recommend a Panther use switch yet.. I realize the real benefits are under the hood, and things will get better as new programs come out so I have no real major gripes, just my observations... As far as the new features, ehh, they're OK... Spotlights cool, widgets don't even work properly for me- the weather is never right for some reason- but I don't care, I don't find them all that useful as a feature in general- I haven't even found a reason to use Automater yet but I'm sure that will get better as apps are developed for it... If I had to do it all over again, I'd wait and stick with Panther another year or so... That's just me though...

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I have had no problems with Tiger since I installed it, except for a few issues with Quicktime. Restarting my browser has always fixed them. I too wish that the widgets would upgrade in the background, but that is no big deal. I for one am very happy with this upgrade and I love the widgets...mainly for monitoring the weather in many places at once...I am obsessed with warm weather :D

Lacero, I think you were being sarcastic, but I can't ever tell :eek:

Oh well, Panther was a good OS, but I like Tiger better, at least for the most part. ;)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
yoda13 said:
I too wish that the widgets would upgrade in the background, but that is no big deal.
Or at least have an option to have them update in the background. This way people who have broadband can have that option, and people with dial up won't be bogged down.

punkyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2005
wrldwzrd89 said:
Actually, Classic is still around in Tiger - it's just hidden until you run your first Classic application. I think Apple's considering removing Classic for good in Mac OS X 10.5, though - hiding a feature is usually a sign that it has been marked as "to be obsoleted".
Hmmm, I must admit I haven't tried to run a classic app. yet. It's good to know this if it is true.

punkyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2005
cmvsm said:
Let's see, you would want to go back to 10.3 because:

1. Quick Time problems (I've experienced none of these)
2. Widget updating and security (nothing updates quickly on dial up..get DSL)

I think that about wraps up your ranting. Notice I didn't mention OS 9 as not only is it there, but something hardly to complain about as it has reached its end. Sounds like your commentary derives from reading too many envious PC sites.

Maybe you should try trolling over there.
I have a cable connection, but I still think the way they update is slow. It should have an adjustable refresh rate in the preferences. Maybe refreshing every hour or so in the background.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
punkyian said:
My friends and I split a family pack of 10.4 Tiger.
I'm surprised NOBODY on this board has brought this up yet. Not that I am going to, but I figured I would mention that fact.

So you don't like the widgets or dashboard? Don't use them, you are not required to use it, so there is step one to getting you back to Panther. Quicktime on the other hand, I don't see how that program would make one person want to revert. But everyone has their own uses.....

punkyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2005
edesignuk said:
If upgrading to Tiger is the biggest mistake you've ever made, consider yourself lucky! :p

...Tiger is ticking over nicely here...
Allow me to rephrase this: "Tiger is the biggest SOFTWARE mistake I have ever made since switching to Apple." I still love my mac, and HATE PC'S, but this was definitly not worth the money.

punkyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2005
Superdrive said:
I'm surprised NOBODY on this board has brought this up yet. Not that I am going to, but I figured I would mention that fact.

So you don't like the widgets or dashboard? Don't use them, you are not required to use it, so there is step one to getting you back to Panther. Quicktime on the other hand, I don't see how that program would make one person want to revert. But everyone has their own uses.....
Do a search on this site, and you will see that LOTS of people are having problems with the new Quicktime. It's not just me. I've probably been lucky with my problems compared to some users. I just want it to work! Is that too much too ask?

punkyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2005
mcmav37 said:
Not to mention the fact that I think Spotlight alone was worth it and I didn't cheat Apple on the price like you did.
Spotlight is cool. That I will agree on.

By the way, I don't think I cheated Apple on the price. My friends ARE my family! I think Apple cheated me by tricking me into paying money for this program. My last mac computer purchase was under a year ago. This should have been a free upgrade for all warranteed computers. The law might not agree, but I believe this to be true.