Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider claims to have some early details from the upcoming Mac OS X 10.4 revision (Tiger). According to the rumor site:

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger will include tighter integration with Apple's internet services and sport a refreshed Finder interface, according to reports that cannot be positively confirmed, but are believed to reflect accurate information on the latest builds of the OS.

New features detailed include faster iDisk performance, and updated Finder and Mac OS X interface. The new version of Mac OS X will be previewed at WWDC in June.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Well that wasn't too much of information.. wonder how they'll alternate the interface this time the changes from jaguar to panther were good in my opinion.

BTW. MY FIRST FIRST POST!!! WOOOOOT! :D :D :p

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
well, so far, it's a bust. i know, i know, this is unconfirmed tentative prerelease rumor info on a product still in the early stages of development... BUT I don't use .Mac, so there had better be more features than enabling us to put URLs in the Finder Sidebar. I mean, come on. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, I wasn't too excited to read the reference to charging MORE than $129 for this update. We'll see what apple pulls out at WWDC. So far, it's a no go.

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
Change the interface again?

Maybe they will make it better looking. I thought 10.1 was beautiful, needed some tweaks, but beautiful. 10.2 had the tweaks, but also, I think, didn't look quite as nice. Panther is still better than other things I've seen, but I think it's just not as attractive. I didn't have any usablility complaints with Aqua in 10.2. One of the things I miss the most is the semi-transparent window border for non-focused windows. I think that was the best visual clue I've ever seen for making the active window stand out. I also liked the big, bulby window border buttons. They had a lot more character than the recessed ones in panther.
<p>
I certainly hope Tiger isn't even flatter and less striped. I may have to start themeing.

gerrycurl

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2004
.NET for Mac

I heard on some rumor website that Apple has ported some of .NET to OS X. This will
mean .NET run time libraries and C# for Xcode. This makes sense to happen for OS X
because eventually, MS Office will be all based on the .NET run time libraries. Not
exactly exciting, but .NET is a rather nice architecture, Longhorn is supposed to be
a huge derivative of the .NET framework, this will definitely push Apple to beat MS's
arse again by the oneuppance Jobs.

Anyway, I agree with the first poster--so far Tiger sounds boring!! SNORE.......

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
Windowlicker said:
...wonder how they'll alternate the interface this time the changes from jaguar to panther were good in my opinion.

cool tiger stripes.

"tighter integration w/ Apple's internet services"? kinda' smacks of the whole Windows/IE snafu a couple years back. thank god we only have 3% market! no, more .Mac integration is always welcome. i still marvel just HOW easy it is to update/sync/publish stuff on my .mac account.

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
There are a lot of things that I'd like to see improved in Tiger, most notably network browsing needs to work fast and solid like it did in Jaguar again, the iCal icon in the dock should always reflect the proper date, Mail needs an overhaul and added features to make it as useful and easy to customize as Entourage, and while not directly related to Tiger, the iTunes Music Store really needs to allow the ability to search by record label, not just artist, album and genre (I want to see all the Matador or Sub Pop or whatever label's artists on one page dammit).

Of course, there's a hundred other things that would be nice to see...these are just off the top of my head.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
THe sooner they replace brushed metal with something attractive, the better.

Aqua of old was very nice.. and then apple go and replace the GUI with the panther monstrousity

Macrumors said:
Appleinsider claims to have some early details from the upcoming Mac OS X 10.4 revision (Tiger). According to the rumor site:

New features detailed include faster iDisk performance, and updated Finder and Mac OS X interface. The new version of Mac OS X will be previewed at WWDC in June.

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
sucky first Tiger rumor

Kind of a sucky first Tiger rumor... .Mac blah... sidebar I've always disliked (too big, too windows like and top bar shortcuts were just fine thank you)... Interface look/feel to be expected but no details given...

I'm sure Apple has something better up their sleeve than this.

Oh well, good to see a Tiger rumor anyhow.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
sinisterdesign said:
cool tiger stripes.

"tighter integration w/ Apple's internet services"? kinda' smacks of the whole Windows/IE snafu a couple years back. thank god we only have 3% market! no, more .Mac integration is always welcome. i still marvel just HOW easy it is to update/sync/publish stuff on my .mac account.

i always thought that this would happen as the safari webobjects(i think) framework is so tightly integrated with the OS as it is.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
soosy said:
Kind of a sucky first Tiger rumor... .

Agreed.

1. I like the current sidebar
2. I don't want to pay MORE than $130 for an update.
3. I could care less about .mac

Oh well, maybe some more details will come to light...right now I see myself sticking with the Panther.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
machan said:
There are a lot of things that I'd like to see improved in Tiger, most notably network browsing needs to work fast and solid like it did in Jaguar again, the iCal icon in the dock should always reflect the proper date, Mail needs an overhaul and added features to make it as useful and easy to customize as Entourage, and while not directly related to Tiger, the iTunes Music Store really needs to allow the ability to search by record label, not just artist, album and genre (I want to see all the Matador or Sub Pop or whatever label's artists on one page dammit).

Of course, there's a hundred other things that would be nice to see...these are just off the top of my head.

something i would love to see it when you press cmd+i on a folder, it would instantaneously show you the size of theall the files combined. i find it ridiculous that we should have to wait and wait for info like that... and many many times, when checking it, then moving a folder, the info does not reflect the changes...

el_aarono

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
USA
what...

What I would like to see in Tiger:

1. Support for multiple Docks

2. Support for multiple desktops

3. Some of the Drag Thing type features

4. Updated Finder sounds good

5. Better .Mac would also be cool.

There are some other things too, but they've slipped my mind just now.

Later,

a.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
machan said:
There are a lot of things that I'd like to see improved in Tiger, ...the iCal icon in the dock should always reflect the proper date...

If you just have it launch at startup with the hidden option selected it will launch iCal (displaying the correct date) plus it won't bring iCal up on the screen (although iCal will be running). I don't know if that's what you want but... there it is.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
michaelrjohnson said:
Aside from that, I wasn't too excited to read the reference to charging MORE than $129 for this update.

Bear in mind that they've already said that the release after Tiger will be later than the current 1-year cycle - so adding a bit more for this update, which will last longer, is fine IMO.

Do agree that there's not much exciting in what they've said so far, although it's all a bit vague at the moment.

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
SilentPanda said:
If you just have it launch at startup with the hidden option selected it will launch iCal (displaying the correct date) plus it won't bring iCal up on the screen (although iCal will be running). I don't know if that's what you want but... there it is.

Yeah, I know about that way of doing it but I don't think that should even be necessary. I don't like having to turn iCal on at all just to get the right date, it should have tighter integration with the system to automatically show the correct date all the time. I don't have to load up the Date & Time pref to get my clock to show the correct time, why should I have to start up iCal to show the right date?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i'm not sure if i like what i'm hearing... tighter integration with .Mac should be considered as a "bonus" features of OS, as far as apple OS development goes. i hope apple doesn't go the way of being "stupid" and start thinking they can double dip in consumer wallets by trying to sell OS and .Mac to everyone.

if OS X's touted features start being dominated by better integration with a fee-based service like .Mac, i personally will start complaining about it. since many apps do move on to running better on the latest OS, i don't think it's fair to say i shouldn't upgrade. i object to having made to feel as if a part of the OS upgrade fee i pay is being re-directed to .Mac development. that's not what i paid for. let .Mac develop from its own revenue source and improve the OS for everyone, regardless of if they subscribe to .Mac or not.

i still object to jaguar's system pref. pane labeled "Internet" - it was useless unless i had a .Mac account. and .Mac isn't even an ISP!

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
Well, isn't Tiger supposed to have native 64 bit support? That should speed things up for those with G5s.

The biggest thing I want to see in 10.4, though, is a solution to the "G5 freeze" problem! Assuming it is a software problem, that is.

I'd buy 10.4 just for that.

I've heard conflicting reports on whether making Tiger 64 bit native would increase it's speed, but I'd be willing to chance it anyway. I have a 64 bit processor, why stay with a 32 bit OS?

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
one little thing

el_aarono said:
What I would like to see in Tiger:

1. Support for multiple Docks

2. Support for multiple desktops

3. Some of the Drag Thing type features

4. Updated Finder sounds good

5. Better .Mac would also be cool.

There are some other things too, but they've slipped my mind just now.

Later,

a.

How about for home users the simple ability to SHUT DOWN (from any user) with the option of not having to log-in to each user and log them off. It is a pain in the butt for me to turn off my iMac then I get this stupid meessage cause my wife used a program under her user. I just want to be able tu turn off the computer ASAP sometimes.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
realityisterror said:
what happened to all that hullaballo with 10.4 and speech integration?
it was supposed to be almost fully speech controllable...
:confused: :confused:

reality

the speech bit that was in the news/rumors before was about the ability to aid the blind by reading what's on the screen.

we've got a long way to go in terms of having good enough speech recognition to enable speech controls. (which, on its own, has far less usability and applications than many thinks, sort of like tablet PCs. it sounds good (no pun intended) but it's not as useful as many thinks. can you imagine being at work, talking commands to your computer? it's a gimmick, except to aid the handicapped, with no killer applications at this point.)

darthdrinker

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
Distributed Objects

Hope they finaly fix the distributed object sytem. We'v been trying to get that to work here and we can't....

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Knox said:
adding a bit more for this update, which will last longer, is fine IMO.

Well it's not in mine... didn't I just spend $130 for an OS? Then apple doesn't have the decency to allows us to update our copies to iLife '04... oh, and then they plan on introducing Tiger and charge more for it?

I'm sorry, but its crap.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't really notice the GUI differences between Jaguar and Panther. When they mention GUI changes as a feature, I wonder if they mean a significant change?
Maybe resizing windows won't appear so choppy that any time someone uses my computer and resizes a window, they ask me why my computer is running so slowly/badly! "I can resize windows instantly on Windows XP! How can something so simple be so bad on the Mac?" I like to defend Macs from criticism whenever I can, but I really can't argue the point. :rolleyes:

Also, I hope they just throw out the Finder and provide something better. Its better than it was in Jaguar, but its still pretty bad. I wouldn't pay $129 for a simple change, but an overhaul would be good. Windows Explorer has Finder beat in a few ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.