Tiger Or iLife 05 In January?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has extended its "Add more life to your Mac" promotion--which offers a US$50 mail-in rebate with the purchase Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) and iLife '04 - until January 10, 2005, according to MacMinute. January 10 is also the first day of MWSF 05. The promo was originially scheduled to end September 25, 2004, but the extension suggests that either a new version of the iLife suite, or the full public release of Tiger could be expected at the show. Apple had noted in June at the Worldwide Developer's Conference that Tiger would be released in the first half of 2005 at a price of $129. With current builds being as far along as they are, it seems the beginning of the year is a possibility for release.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC
It's just kind of a gut feeling, but doesn't January seem early for Tiger? They've given themselves quite a bit of leeway with the "first half of 2005" target...seems like they'd be aiming for a WWDC release.

And, of course, I'd love to get my hands on it in January.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
im guessing that iLife 05 will be released and we will get an expected date for Tiger, but not a release yet, and i would expect maybe one more update to Panther before Tiger ships...

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
At WWDC, Tiger was slated for 1st half of 2005, but didn't that get slightly modified at Paris? Wasn't the date changed to the 2nd or 3rd quarter?
Hey, the sooner the better. Any idea what updates to expect in iLife '05?

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
One thing I've been thinking about is this.

Would you need Tiger to develop an application that could take advantage of the 64 bit capabilities of the G5? From what I can glean from readin gthings Panther is not 64-bit at all. In order to really take off you need the 64bit OS capabilties which from Apple's site as near as I can tell it does indeed have the core 64-bit operating system characteristics allowing me to exploit the hardware should Photoshop come out with some new version that is 64bit...

Just curious. I've started tinkering in the Xcode system looking for things to learn on Objective-C and I thought about that as I was playing around.

cello

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2004
in front of my computer
iLife 05 at MWSF - yes, why not.
Tiger at MWSF - no! They may give a release date for Tiger at the keynote, but sure no 'immediate availability'. Until now, each new version of OS X was released on a weeked (friday/saturday usually), and I don't think they'd change this for Tiger. It makes more buzz if people can line up at midnight in front of the stores to get Tiger, than just telling them at the show they can go and buy it now outside (besides everyone would be leaving the keynote in that case asap anyway ;) )

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
iLife 05 seems much more likely than Tiger in January. Maybe it'll include a new iApp? iFinance, maybe? Obviously this is completely unfounded speculation, but some kind of home finance app seems like the logical next step.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I doubt Apple would give themselves a 1H '05 release window for Tiger just to release it in January. I for one would rather Apple throughly beta test Tiger before release so we don't have the problems we had with Panther and the Firewire drives/Filevault issues that necessitated the hasty .1 release.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
wordmunger said:
iLife 05 seems much more likely than Tiger in January. Maybe it'll include a new iApp? iFinance, maybe? Obviously this is completely unfounded speculation, but some kind of home finance app seems like the logical next step.
Oh PLEASE please PLEASE let Apple make a finance app. ANYTHING to rid me of Quicken! PLEEEAAASEEEE!!!!

[edit] After having 5 seconds to think it over, maybe a finance app wouldn't be a good addition to iLife.

Oraganize your pretty pictures!

Make cool movies!

Listen to cool songs!

Create cool music!

Do your......taxes? :D

jtquick2001

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2004
ilife 04 at WWDC?

It seems like ilife would not be released at WWDC. Its a developers confrence. I think that we will see tiger ready to go by WWDC and ilife at another expo but expect it soon guys. Ok anyone have any ideas what ilife 05 will have?

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Trekkie said:
One thing I've been thinking about is this.

Would you need Tiger to develop an application that could take advantage of the 64 bit capabilities of the G5? From what I can glean from readin gthings Panther is not 64-bit at all. In order to really take off you need the 64bit OS capabilties which from Apple's site as near as I can tell it does indeed have the core 64-bit operating system characteristics allowing me to exploit the hardware should Photoshop come out with some new version that is 64bit...

Just curious. I've started tinkering in the Xcode system looking for things to learn on Objective-C and I thought about that as I was playing around.
See the following POST that I made about this in a different thread.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
DavidLeblond said:
Oh PLEASE please PLEASE let Apple make a finance app. ANYTHING to rid me of Quicken! PLEEEAAASEEEE!!!!

[edit] After having 5 seconds to think it over, maybe a finance app wouldn't be a good addition to iLife.

Oraganize your pretty pictures!

Make cool movies!

Listen to cool songs!

Create cool music!

Do your......taxes? :D
Yeah, I think you're probably right. We can dream, can't we? Apple'd be the company to actually get this right, though. But it would take a massive amount of organization to actually coordinate with banks, etc.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
caveman_uk said:
I doubt Apple would give themselves a 1H '05 release window for Tiger just to release it in January. I for one would rather Apple throughly beta test Tiger before release so we don't have the problems we had with Panther and the Firewire drives/Filevault issues that necessitated the hasty .1 release.
Amen to that. Apple's got to get QC in their OS's and patches up to par. I'm sorry but the release of Panther and 10.2.8 along with several other releases as of late have given Apple a black eye AFAIC. This off the cuff release then reel it back in after a bug is found or something has to stop. Nothing can ever be considered perfect but dang it a patch for iPhoto shouldn’t need to be yanked because of well whatever the reason was.
And quite honestly I don't care that MS's QC is just as bad lately. (And yes it is LATELY. MS SP's are generally pretty good.) SP2 has been a nightmare for some. Apple has to be substantially better then MS and right now, IMHO, I'm not seeing that.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
i could see the iLife released @ the MWSF, but not Tiger. Fist half of 2005 means that it could come as early as jan but as late as june ... maybe apple is trying to under promise and over deliver, probably not.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
iLife is pretty obvious, maybe something a huge % of mac users expect, but Tiger? no, It will be ready by March/April but for sure before WWDC, pretty out of text to say "first half of 05" to give it 1 year...

like the G5 3GHZ :rolleyes: :D

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I hope that they wait on Tiger and get it as bug free as possible. There were a number of quirky things with 10.3 that seemed to persist until they got all the way up to 10.3.5. Finally most of those quirks are gone but unfortunately my Apps are crashing a lot more than 10.3.3 (haven't tried an erase and install like I normally do though). Don't rush it and get it right please Apple. I would be interested to see what would be new in iLife 05. The better compression technology in iDVD 04 is what sold me the last time.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i am actually planning on buying iLife '05 so i hope there are some good improvements in there, i didnt get '04 so it should be a worthwhile upgrade anyways...but the more improvements and features the better

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
AmigoMac said:
iLife is pretty obvious, maybe something a huge % of mac users expect, but Tiger? no, It will be ready by March/April but for sure before WWDC, pretty out of text to say "first half of 05" to give it 1 year...

like the G5 3GHZ :rolleyes: :D
Well, maybe Steve was just off by a year, and he'll introduce the dual 3GHz at wwdc this time around :D

As far as iLife is concerned, an app to rent/watch movies would be cool like iTunes did for music. Of course that has the drawback that you basically must have broadband for it to work well.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
relimw said:
Well, maybe Steve was just off by a year, and he'll introduce the dual 3GHz at wwdc this time around :D

As far as iLife is concerned, an app to rent/watch movies would be cool like iTunes did for music. Of course that has the drawback that you basically must have broadband for it to work well.
I was thinking about this the other day. I have digital cable and they offer 4 dollar movies you can "rent", but then I realized when it makes so much more sense to go out and rent the dvd. Cable did not give me any special features no options and no chapter selection. If apple where going to have a movie store it would have to have these things to compete with dvds.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Of course Tiger is going to be released way before WWDC so by then Steve can talk about how well it's done, etc. This is obvious. In the future I see a .Mac revision, Tiger, and iLife '05 with one possible new app, and new iPod mini's. All first/second quarter of 2005. It shall be interesting. I will be lining up for Tiger at the Apple store as it does seem to be one of the most exciting Apple releases in a while. I wish we had a date, you know? Like I wish we knew "March 5th" or something...All I know is that I am ready to take advantage of that Apple student discount! WhooO!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Bank on iLife 05 for January.. maybe a windoze version? Tiger maybe a bit after that.. april, May.. but I could be wrong..
Now that is an idea !!! iLife for Windows , like iTunes is making PC users think Twice now about going Mac maybe iLife apps would push them that little bit more to buy a Mac.

if not, then the money Apple could make from PC users must be worth it .

Just a thought