[Tiger] SDHC card crashes OS X via Finder but works fine via terminal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mkrishnan, Oct 26, 2008.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

System: iMac G5 / 2.0GHz / 2GB RAM. Due to a failed SATA controller, it runs its main HD off Firewire 400 (has for almost a year). OS X 10.4.11. SanDisk SDDR-113 SDHC card reader and a 16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC.

I use my Mac to temporarily rip DVDs using MacTheRipper so that I can watch them on my Eee instead of my TV, if I want to (I use MTR because it's much, much faster than Handbrake on this hardware, and I'm ripping / watching / deleting rented movies while I have the rental disc, not retaining the copies, and also so I have menus and extras).

Anyway, the DVDs as ripped end up being 4-8GB but, as you probably know, most individual VOB files are 1GB or less, so they can be stored on a FAT partition such as on my 16GB SDHC (which can hold at least one movie and often 2-3 in full DVD form).

Several times, I've found that if I try to copy one of these DVDs onto the SDHC via Finder, it copies a few gigs and then crashes Finder. Miserably. The copy dialog stops updating, ignores requests to cancel, and trying to open a folder brings up a beachball. Attempting to restart finder causes finder to quit successfully but fail to restart. In fact, there ends up being pretty much nothing that can be done save closing all other programs (which continue to respond) and holding the power button to restart the Mac.

Now this is the strange part: copying the files using terminal (e.g. using cp -r) works flawlessly.

So I can do what I need to do, albeit not in the way I'd usually do it.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

2. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Of course, the very next time I try one with the command line, it crashes.

Option 1: It might be the SD card writer and/or the SDHC. Large capacity SDHC are still a little flakey.

Option 2: Actually more compelling, and I don't know why I didn't think of this. My home directory is FileVaulted. I keep all my iTunes and other large media files in my /users/shared directory to keep them out of the filevault image, but I'd forgotten about that and it didn't occur to me to MTR the DVD into the shared folder. I moved it there, though, and I'm trying a Finder based copy from the shared folder (not encrypted) to the SDHC to see if the encryption is what's causing the problem (although it would be disappointing if true, at least I'd have a pretty complete solution to my problem).