Tiger Woods arrested for DUI

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by deany, May 29, 2017.

1. deany macrumors 68030

deany

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

He was one of my favourite golfers growing up too and seeing him now is very sad. I think the loss of his Dad had a major effect on his life as he was his life coach in effect. I hope he bounces back and we see him back focusing on his golf.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I wonder if it was for alcohol, drugs, or a combo.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1 DUI stupid
    2 DUI's then spend 5 years in jail.

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

At least his exwife wasn't needed to use his driver to open up his Escalade's back window.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He needed a designated nine iron.

7. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

N.Y. Post is reporting that he was pulled over for erratic driving, the police officer smell booze on his breath but he refused to take a breathalyzer. Later, Woods said the problem was due to a mixture of prescription drugs he is taking.

8. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Thank you.

I'm not familiar with Florida law but implied consent says that a person arrested for dui must provide a test to determine their blood alcohol level. That test could be of their breath, blood, or urine.

if the officer felt his intoxication was due to a combo of alcohol and drug the breathalyzer would not be a valid choice. He would only be allowed to choose blood or urine.

If he declined the roadside intoxilizer it's not a big deal. But if he refused all tests pursuant to implied consent, which people do as a strategy trying to beat the case, he'll face additional sanctions.

9. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Or fame and wealthy lifestyle got to him.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Possibly, although he was famous for 12 years before he cracked.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

This is his second DWI, isn't it? Lock him up.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

happens to so many of them. I was especially shocked when the whole scandal of his first wife broke. I mean she was pretty hot so to let ones ego get in the way and ruin that was pretty bad. It's been downhill for him from there. I'm sure the loss of his father was tough, but really, we all go through deaths of our loved ones...
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2017 ---
    ^^ this. he doesn't appear to be aging well. He's going to look like Bill Cosby in a few years.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

He also had back surgery a few years back as his golf swing in his earlier career ruined his spine. He lost form as a result and then we found out he was a serial womaniser. It's hard to feel sorry for him for the latter part but I think scandal and physical issues have pretty much plummeted him from the top. It's sad to see, but only he can turn it around...

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I am pretty sure that a warrant is required.

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I'm not sure what you mean, but after a cursory review, Florida implied consent law is exactly as I explained.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I thought you meant that they can force you to be submitted to urine/blood tests, that is use force to get your blood sample.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Forced blood draws is a whole other topic. They are and we're extremely raw.

I can't speak about Florida here at all, but assume it's safe to say it's similar. Typically someone who refuses to comply with implied consent face mandatory administrative consequences and enhancements.

Limiting this discussion to misdemeanor DUI, forced blood as was done on rare cases in the past has gone the way of calling the on-call DA to prepare a court order.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Agreed, I misread your original post.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Apparently Tiger blew a 0.0. So maybe he is telling the truth.

21. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don't know much about Tiger's arrest, but don't understand your conclusion.

He can be driving under the influence of only a prescription medication and his BAC would be zero.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

He said he had a bad reaction to meds. Perhaps that is true. People were reporting he was drunk and lying about the drug reaction.

Either way, he should not have been driving.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I see all the golf/sports writers as well as Tiger fans breathing a sigh of relief because alcohol wasn't involved. Yet Woods was just as bad as if he had been drunk and had no business being behind the wheel of a car. And what was he doing out at 2AM and why would he be popping pills at that hour of the night? Seems to me there's more to the story here...

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if I read things right, he was asleep at the wheel parked somewhere so that IMHO changes things a bit. seems you can get a DUI if your keys are within reach of you , to a degree that is stupid and at the same time I can see someone pulling that stunt.:(

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I know it's different, but in the UK if you are over the drink drive limit, sat in the drivers seat with the keys nearby, you can be charged with drink driving even if you haven't driven the car. The intent is there. A friend of mine learned the hard way when he decided to sleep in his car after a night out. The copper said if he'd been sat in any other seat in the car he may have been able to contest it, although being in the car is proof enough. He was banned for 18 months.

I think the drink drive limit here is 37mg, so effectively half a pint of lager, or a small glass of wine.