Tiger Woods sued over restaurant staffer’s fatal drunk driving crash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 13, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This story is interesting. I see most of the comments on social media are it’s a money grab, though I suspect they might be different if it wasn’t Tiger Woods. The lawsuit claims Woods and his girlfriend knew this employee had an alcohol problem but often served him to the point of intoxication and also had been drinking with him a few nights before the fatal accident. I’m not sure what the law is in Florida.
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

All i know is they announced this and held a news conference right before the PGA championship.

That right there is proof enough the patents are trying to ruin Tiger.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Let's blame others for our son's vices, bad decisions and poor judgement.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Apparently they’re only suing for $15,000. Does that even cover legal fees?

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

They are claiming damages “in excess of $15,000.” I’m sure they will argue for significantly higher damages in court.

As for this case, I don’t know any of the facts, but dram shop laws serve a very useful purpose, by creating incentives for restaurants and bars to play attention to how much alcohol they are serving customers and how drunk those customers are getting.

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

From what I’ve read it sounds like Tiger and his girlfriend knew this employee well and were drinking with him a few days before this accident happened.

This is the Florida statute:

768.125 Liability for injury or damage resulting from intoxication.—A person who sells or furnishes alcoholic beverages to a person of lawful drinking age shall not thereby become liable for injury or damage caused by or resulting from the intoxication of such person, except that a person who willfully and unlawfully sells or furnishes alcoholic beverages to a person who is not of lawful drinking age or who knowingly serves a person habitually addicted to the use of any or all alcoholic beverages may become liable for injury or damage caused by or resulting from the intoxication of such minor or person.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ute&URL=0700-0799/0768/Sections/0768.125.html

If I’m understanding it correctly an establishment isn’t liable for injury/damage unless they served someone they knew had an alcohol problem. I’m curious how this family will be able to prove Tiger and his girlfriend knew the guy had an alcohol problem but continued to serve him anyway.

EDIT: on social media some are claiming video evidence from the night of the accident was destroyed by the restaurant. IF that is true not good for Tiger.