Tigers feast on live cow in zoo show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, May 22, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

Malta Star
    youtube Be carefull!

Good or bad, this is incredible.

2. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

My God, that is just cruel!

I hate it when humans take advantage of animals like that just because we're the superior race.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i could understand if they fed live animal to train the tigers so they can be released into the wild. but this is just disgusting. i can't imagine who would bring their kids to see this. these people seem to have some sort of character damage. just disgusting.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, training the tigers to be released into the wild is one thing. But doing it for sheer spectacle is quite another. :rolleyes:

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Well as much as I am disgusted by this as entertainment it does teach a lesson to people, things die ugly deaths to feed other things.

Is the killing of a deer/antelope any different than the killing of a cow by the tigers? Google videos of any predator hunting in the wild and they are much more gruesome than this, especially when the animal "escapes" with its guts trailing behind it.

China does not exactly have a good reputation on animal rights.

Check out their fur farms pratices and you will never wear fur again.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

i have to admit that i love nature shows and find the predator/prey line interesting, but this is just wrong. i don't get why they would show this to people. it is what happens in the wild, but this is just staged. yet another sad portrayal of humans manipulating something natural for entertainment.

sad.

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

yes I agree with you that this is just not right. There ar emore humane ways of feeding the tigers while providing "entertainment"

But you watch nature shows for entertainment - the animal still dies a horrible quick death if it is lucky.

Why do we watch boxing fights? or dog fight, cock fights, bear/bull baiting?
    Part of us enjoys the spectacle. Spectacle that can be entertainment = $$$. That is why people do it.

Are our animal slaughtering processes any more humane than this? I have taken tours of slaughter houses, good ones and bad ones. even the good ones were not very nice.

I choose to eat meat, but I also choose to get it from places that are good to the animals even at the end.

8. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

It's cows BIG DEAL!!! :confused: Now if was people thats differant.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

... OW! Let's hope none of us are reincarnated as one of those cows...:eek:. That makes me sad.

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

11. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

hey, this was supposed to be in the current events, now its here. :(

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is this any worse than feeding a snake a live mouse? I mean, these animals are carnivorous predators. I don't know, it's sounds like this zoo is pretty crappy, but there's a weird line here.

13. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

While I would never want to watch such an event, I fail to see the problem with feeding a cow to a set of predators. If the tigers are "simply driven out of their minds by the boredom" then this practice is a very good thing. No?

To clarify, I'm commenting on the feeding of live prey to carnivoirs not the deplorable state of Chinese (and other) zoos.

14. 66217 Guest

Feeding tiger with live preys isn't bad, thats how they live in the nature.

But making that an event where people go and see how the tiger kills the cow is insane.

15. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

How so? ( I personally wouldn't want to see it, but I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here)

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't know how right or wrong it is, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that is very different from the numerous nature shows that depict the same imagery.

17. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

no, just bigger animals.

I don't have a problem with this. So what if they want to show the event and make money. Would it be any different if they hid the fact they fed their animals?

18. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Those numerous nature shows are pictures of live action events where both predator and prey at least some chance. It is filming of nature.

This Tiger thing just shows the utter lack of respect for animals in China. It's one thing to feed them in private live animals (of any size, btw, IMO all animals are equal), but to do it as a spectacle just shows a thirst for blood on the onlookers side. It's just wrong.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The difference between this and nature shows is that the nature shows display "survival of the fittest" in most cases, showing how animals choose the weakest members of a herd to attack. In this case (the zoo), an animal is simply fed to a group of tigers with no hope of escape. Sure, the end result is the same: dead animal. But to me, there's a fundamental difference - a lack of fairness - between the two situations.

Also, as far as showing something the zoos need to do anyway: no, they can humanely kill the animals before feeding them to the tigers instead of having their last moments be filled with terror. These tigers aren't being "prepared for life in the wild" (what a load of BS), and learning to kill a sole cow placed in their midst certainly isn't adequate training for it anyway. So these zoos are exploiting the terror of these animals for profit, and I think that's wrong.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's a very strange line, is it not? What does that say about people who watch nature shows? Aren't they scheduled programs?

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The people watching the nature shows do, to some extent, revel in the death, I suppose. But few are there simply to see an animal die, whereas clearly that's the sole focus of these tours. Most nature shows aren't death-centric.

Consider a documentary show on childbirth that follows numerous families, and perhaps one or a two experience the grief of a stillborn child. It's a rare but tragic event. Contrast that with a show that only has women in labor with infants in high distress or no real vital signs so people can just see the dead baby emerge.

Very different things.

22. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

BS. I'm sorry but the "The prey doesn't have a fighting chance" just doesn't wash.

As for the spectacle, People head out into the woods everyday with high power rifles and deadly accurate scopes. They blow away animals that don't even know they're in danger and they even call it a sport :rolleyes:. They even show it on TV. Don't try to say it's a more humane death, I've seen and heard what a miss-aimed shot can do to a dear :( .Even worse, some people will pay good money for the opportunity to "hunt" specialty animals which are penned up for their convenience.

There are FAR greaters evils done to animals in the name of entertainment. What the zoo is doing here is helping one group of animals at the expense of another. At least some good is done.

While I feel for the poor cow, I feel more for the Tigers, and am glad that they can at least enjoy a small piece of their natural life.

23. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Can this be bad for the tigers? I bet they're happy.. and full.

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You realize, of course, that pointing out that worse things are done elsewhere doesn't make this right.
    I do agree with you there.

25. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Hooray for small victories :)