Tightening Hinges on MBP Late 06??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kbfr08, Sep 9, 2011.

1. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

I just got a 15" macbook (Core 2 Duo) for around $100 on Ebay. I popped in a new disk drive, and a new hard drive, and the computer runs perfectly on OS X 10.6. The only problem, is that every time I set the computer's display back more than 90 deg. It falls back, and when I hold the laptop up on a 90 deg. angle it slams shut. The display also wiggles quite a bit without the hinges moving at all.

Now, my macbook unibody has no problems with being held at 90 degrees, regardless of the beating it took from the previous owner. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with replacing the hinges, and If you could tell me if it's a matter of tightening a screw, or if I need new hinges. I'd hate to tear apart the macbook again, find out I need new hinges, and then leave it in pieces until the part comes in.

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Last night I saw part for hinge for 14.00 each so i am sure you can fix yourself real easily.

3. parker770 macrumors member

My 08 MBP had a nasty habit of loosening hinges. The hinges themselves are beefy as hell, it's very unlikely that they need to be replaced. If the hinges are tight and they still won't support the weight of the screen, then they may need to be replaced. I got tired of taking it apart to re tighten them, so I used some Loctite on the screws, and its been going strong for a few months.

Make sure you have a Torx T6 driver, as that is the fastener the hinges use. The screws that hold the top cover to the bottom case are also T6. Get on ifixit.com and there is a thorough step by step writeup. Its very easy once you do it once or twice.