Tillerson is LXIX Secretary of State.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Feb 1, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Just sworn in. I plan to follow him like a hawk.

2. RedOrchestra Suspended

Great news for the American people. FINALLY a real person with real-world experience running the State Department.

Congratulations Rex Tillerson, and kudos to President Trump on his fine selection for Secretary of State.

3. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Meanwhile in "unrelated news" the house is working on a bill to remove SEC requirement that energy companies have to report giving monitary gifts to foreign leaders. Does anyone see something fundamentaly wrong with this legislation? Exactly how is it in our interest to remove this bit of transparency?

4. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Any hard info on this? (Bill name etc)

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes one that would sell his soul for money give money to countries so they can have dictatorships not pay taxes and on and on.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

7. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

8. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I wonder how soon the next recession will come along.

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Fairly soon, the trade wars are about to start. That should put a world wide damper on sales.

10. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Yes. I've already picked out some land and a few properties to purchase if the prices go into a spiral. Save money and lock in the property tax.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

There's more... I got the list below from a Massachusetts congressman's email to which I subscribe because he has good coverage of bill passage in the House.... and also Trump's executive orders (Michael Capuano, 7th CD). These are just the ones I was not aware of when I grabbed the front end of his list in a briefing, he had also listed some I knew about like HR 7 which I mentioned someplace else here recently.

1. On January 12, 2017, the House passed H.R. 78, the SEC Regulatory Accountability Act, which adds requirements to the Securities and Exchange Commission whenever they issue a regulation. Sounds great right? Not when you realize that the SEC will now have lots more work to do without adding a single staff member or penny to their budget. The real result is a diminished ability to police bad actors.

2. On January 12, 2017 the House passed H.R. 238, the Commodity End User Relief Act. The legislation adds requirements to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) regulation of the derivatives market. It places significant burdens on the CFTC’s ability to regulate both the domestic and international swaps market. Remember, it wasn’t too long ago that AIG’s abuse of the swaps market almost brought down the world economy.

3. On January 20, 2017 President Trump signed an Executive Order halting a planned reduction in Federal Housing Administration (FHA) fees. This will increase the cost of mortgages for anyone using FHA insurance to buy a home. On average, 750,000 homeowners will pay $500 more per year for the life of their mortgage – that adds up to $15,000 more on a 30 year mortgage.

4. On January 23, 2017 President Trump signed an Executive Order reinstituting the Global Gag Rule. This will block federal funding for international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that provide abortion services. It’s important to point out that current law already prohibits federal funds from being used for abortion services. The funds in question are being used by NGOs for other health care services. This Executive Order prohibits NGOs from even discussing it or referring patients who request information to other providers. In reality, this policy forces health care providers to cut services for women, increase fees and could close health care clinics.​

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

That is some novel usage of the word increase.
    From what I can see the decrease was announced less than 2 weeks before a new president was due to arrive which doesn't seem very prudent.

13. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Just our government working "for" the people, just the wrong people. Give me your rich, your powerful, your arrogant few. We will legislate for their increased benefit. And as for women's rights, well we go by the motto of our leader, grab em by the p*****.

How bout those Saudi's, they ban women from driving as well. How could we get that one passed..........

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL insurance rates might go up if only men could text and drive, and women were stuck sitting in the back seat putting on their makeup like in the old days. But then this admin so far is not into calculating consequences. Hope all the guys will enjoy schlepping the kids around to their dental appointments and soccer games.

[meanwhile though.. . i think... . so far the states have a lock on who gets a driver's license even if the feds can say what they have to look like to serve as ID for crossing nearby borders. hope I'm right... gonna look it up!]

15. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Not for a long time. You should be more scared of a depression. Trump looks to be improving the economy by leaps and bounds in the USA. In a way similar to the 1920's. The markets could not sustain this and with a fe other circumstances it all crashed one day. Will Trump raise the US economy to a level much to high to be self sustaining that it'll have to come crashing down?

That depends. If Trump can deal with the US citizen's personal debt crisis and the federal debt crisis, then he might avoid this possibly eventuality. If not then it might crash if the economy becomes too good to be sustainable long term.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Nonetheless as the word gets around I would not expect even a core Trump fan variant of prospective homeowner to be a fan of that particular executive order.

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Given the fund was bailed out by tax payers only a few years ago (iirc) I'd probably prefer it was kept adequately funded so that doesn't need to be done again. If I was an american tax payer liable to have to bail it out again anyway.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

American tax payers are being set up even now to bail out whatever next excess is coming down the road from deregulation, deregulation, deregulation. How it works when the music stops is someone gets up and talks gravely of "moral hazard" and "free market" and so forth and then takes a sip of water and inserts that ultimate disqualifier,,,, "BUT",,,, "now we're gonna take yer wallet because if we don't then our banking world will implode and take yours with it". It takes balls to do that twice in a decade but if Trump hurries they can make it.

19. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Actually takes less and less balls. With the stupid electorate continuing to vote in the same crooked congress that passes more deregulation, it's only a matter of time. After all bankers, investment firms, corporations, can regulate themselves, what could go wrong. People are not greedy or cheat each other. Trust me. Course for us scum workers, earning 1/300 th, we need a strong police force and lot's of laws. But rich and powerful are all honest and above board. Deregulate....deregulate.....deregulate.....what could possibly go wrong.....again.

20. Zenithal, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 68040

But for those who own their property outright, it's wonderful to snatch up more property. It does blow for people who bought homes or land and their values drop immensely. I'd hope that the average consumer on the whole knows not to indulge in a home or land purchase that they can't pay off in due time.

One of the worst things in this country are prepayment penalties. California moved to limit the period post recession. But prior to that in a lot of states, if you ended up with a windfall, you couldn't use it to pay a large portion of your loan in a lump sum or several. You could only pay a certain percentage of the loan each year. Though this is due and outlined in the loan documentation. Stagnant wages for the middle class with increasing house prices after the 2000 setback caused people to live in faux bliss and didn't worry about paying in lump sum because they couldn't. So they used that windfall money for other things.

Our area and most areas around here weren't affected much in the 1990s, 2000 or 2008-2010. I have a rather odd opinion of our state's property tax laws. The tax rate is locked in at the agreed sales price of the land or property, it does not change. This has benefited buyers who bought their property decades ago, while it incurs a strong choke-hold on new property or land owners. Or even those who've bought decades ago and bought again now. Though I also am guilty of taking advantage of this stupid law when the economy is in a slump and I buy up land and property.

A lot of real estate in the state ought to be demolished because it's not relevant anymore. At one point, you could drive out into the boonies of the state and still spend around 800K for a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath home that was over a 100 years old and under 1200 sq. feet.

You could state that these people could move and buy huge 4-7K sq. foot homes in Texas, Arizona or the south, except these are poorly built houses and even the old hand crafted ones from decades ago need serious refinement to bring up to code and comfort. No point in buying a mcmansion.