Tillerson is out.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Let's not pretend that Tillerson was a good Secretary of State. His failure to maintain even basic levels of staffing and assignments within the state department has done more lasting damage to the influence and reputation of this country throughout the world than any Secretary of State since Kissinger. That said, he was at least sane and understood that his boss was a "****ing moron."
I never liked Tillerson either, but Trump is on the verge of making me physically nauseous. Tillerson learned he was fired by tweet. Play with fire, get burned?

It was said this morning from some people familiar with Trump in NY, that he has always been a one man band who requires being surrounded by yes men. His ability to take advice from people who are experts on the topic at hand is limited, if non-existent. It was also observed that the the rate of turn over in the Trump Administration is unprecedented, making it hard to accomplish anything. I’ll add that the inability to accomplish positive things is tremendously complicated by an incompetent, erratic leader whose number one priority is himself, and has no scruples, no moral compass than other what benefits him, as he panders for applause.

Who can they scrape up to fill these positions? Pompeo is described as the ultimate Trump yes man. Scary as hell, because although I disliked Tillerson, he acted as a moderator. While Tillerson was negotiating with N.Korea, Trump was publicly tweeting for him not to bother! Un-frick’n believable, incompetent, and dangerous.

CONGRESS, DO YOUR JOB and IMPEACH! :mad:

Last edited:

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Wait, I thought Rex was too close to Putin and should not be Secretary of State. Now those same folks are saying he was fired for issuing a tough Russia statement?

Or could it be that Rex didn't agree with Trump on many policy issues. Jerusalem, Iran deal, etc.

I also saw Trump nominated the first female to head the CIA. Handmaid's Tale!!

I'm not a Trump fan, but people seem to lose all logical reasoning when discussing him.

The Trump WH has a 43% turnover rate, that was a week ago so that percent is clearly going up. There is nothing logical about that.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Well him and Haley, give it time she'll be shown the door as well. This really isn't good and with State working with a skeleton crew we shouldn't be negotiating anything with other countries until the state department is fixed.
Yeah I get that Tillerson was an oil tycoon and all but in this role he actually seemed like he was reasonable and he wanted to do something about Russia, I think this probably what pushed Trump's buttons.
[doublepost=1520951142][/doublepost]
The Trump WH has a 43% turnover rate, that was a week ago so that percent is clearly going up. There is nothing logical about that.
That was last week, he's lost two more since then which brings it right up to about 48%.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Yeah I get that Tillerson was an oil tycoon and all but in this role he actually seemed like he was reasonable and he wanted to do something about Russia, I think this probably what pushed Trump's buttons.
[doublepost=1520951142][/doublepost]
That was last week, he's lost two more since then which brings it right up to about 48%.
He did get unfairly bashed by the left because of his ties to Oil, but he turned out to be respectable and then some. Goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover (applies to both sides).

Trumps not going to stop until EVERYONE in his administration falls in line on Russia or is shown the door. I'm actually shocked Tillerson is gone before Sessions. Sessions, say what you want about him, hasn't fallen in line like many thought he might. He's taken his role as AG seriously and independent of the WH political affairs (which pisses Trump off mightily). Trump wants a Holder and he hasn't gotten it.

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Some perspective...

Turnover rate in their first two years in office:
GW Bush 27%
Obama 15%

Turnover rate in Trump's first year:
48%

Nobody with that kind of turnover rate can manage his own office, let alone the country.
Maybe the overall stability of the country amidst this chaos is proof we don't need a large government to "manage" anything .
[doublepost=1520955493][/doublepost]
And in that, I would agree. But my point is Rex being out is more likely linked with policy disagreements than his criticism of Russia.

Reactions: Gutwrench and mgguy

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Maybe the overall stability of the country amidst this chaos is proof we don't need a large government to "manage" anything .
[doublepost=1520955493][/doublepost]

And in that, I would agree. But my point is Rex being out is more likely linked with policy disagreements than his criticism of Russia.
A. This country is way far from "stable"
B. Policy disagreements include Russia.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Unfairly? He was the worst and least effective Secretary of State in recent history. Sounds like the left's concerns were valid.

We don't need to grade him on a curve because he was more respectable than 45.
My .02 is that he really didn't get much of a chance to do anything one way or the other because Trump never gave him the chance. That said, I personally didn't see him do anything that was really egregious in any way while he was in the position. He seemed rational on both foreign policy and even addressed climate change as a threat.

Reactions: BoxerGT2.5

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
A. This country is way far from "stable"
B. Policy disagreements include Russia.
A. Financially (govt debt) and in the some aspects of personal accountability, I agree. In other measures, I would disagree. Unemployment is low, wages up, reduction in violent and property crime, etc. In my opinion the media/social media hyper focus on all the salacious things that get ratings is often at odds with statistics.

B. I agree! I read that Rex was sent home on Friday and he made his comment yesterday. So in this case, it appears the two are not linked from what has been reported thus far. Subject to change...

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
So many complained about who he originally chose and now, seemingly in support of those earlier concerns DT is replacing them and those original complainers are upset?

Hypocritical much?
[doublepost=1520957103][/doublepost]Most knew this was coming. Now the appointment for the CIA, that is interesting ...

and further, all those Tillerson appointed and yet to be confirmed ... what happens to them?

Reactions: mgguy

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
So many complained about who he originally chose and now, seemingly in support of those earlier concerns DT is replacing them and those original complainers are upset?

Hypocritical much?
There is nothing hypocritical about that when you have no faith that 45 will nominate someone better to replace them.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
This is why no one can have an adult conversation about anything. You are so far gone that there is no reasoning.
Practice what you preach. Both you and the person you responded to are using the same strategy. Adult conversation goes out the window when all you try to do is brand the "other side" as irrational.

Reactions: samcraig

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
You can not like someone, but still get upset when they are treated poorly and publicly humiliated.

Reactions: BaldiMac

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
There is nothing hypocritical about that when you have no faith that 45 will nominate someone better to replace them.
Additionally, some of the issue people are having is the perceived reasons for why they are being ousted, not any specific defense of these people or desire to see them remain (though I had no problem with Tillerson). Also, I personally would like to see a little more stability in the government. As entertaining as I find the "clown car" approach to a cabinet, I don't think that an unstable government is beneficial to the American people.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
You wonder why he lost his job..?

He skips stopover in Israel while in Middle East and is not in agreement with Trump and Netanyahu over Iran nuclear agreement. They want it scrapped but he was not so much in favor.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rex-tillerson-skipping-israel-middle-east-tour-2018-2

Netanyahu has a word with Trump and next thing you know Tillerson is out the door.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-fires-tillerson-nominates-pompeo-as-new-secretary-of-state/
[doublepost=1520959069][/doublepost]
Well him and Haley, give it time she'll be shown the door as well. This really isn't good and with State working with a skeleton crew we shouldn't be negotiating anything with other countries until the state department is fixed.
Haley will not be shown the door. She is Baghdad Bob at the UN with her speeches lol..

Reactions: tgara

tgara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Wait, I thought Rex was too close to Putin and should not be Secretary of State. Now those same folks are saying he was fired for issuing a tough Russia statement?

Or could it be that Rex didn't agree with Trump on many policy issues. Jerusalem, Iran deal, etc.

I also saw Trump nominated the first female to head the CIA. Handmaid's Tale!!

I'm not a Trump fan, but people seem to lose all logical reasoning when discussing him.
I think you’re right. This had less to do about Russia in much more to do about North Korea. Trump and Tillerson did not see Eye to eye this, so Trump let Tillerson go. In a way, it’s probably a good thing Trump did this now because the president needs his people on the same page, not only for the NorK meetings, but also NAFTA, the Iran nuclear deal, Israel, Syria, and Russia. To me, Tillerson was always a curious choice.

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
I think you’re right. This had less to do about Russia in much more to do about North Korea. Trump and Tillerson did not see Eye to eye this, so Trump let Tillerson go. In a way, it’s probably a good thing Trump did this now because the president needs his people on the same page, not only for the NorK meetings, but also NAFTA, the Iran nuclear deal, Israel, Syria, and Russia. To me, Tillerson was always a curious choice. I hope the president chooses someone like John Bolton for the new secretary of state.
So Tillerson and 45 didn't see eye to eye on North Korea, Russia, Israel, Iran, NAFTA, and Syria. Sounds like piss poor leadership from the president.

Reactions: stylinexpat