Tillerson is out.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by juanm, Mar 13, 2018.

1. jerwin macrumors 68020

But what does that even mean?

Apparently I don't watch enough reality TV.

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Acknowledging the existence of white privilege isn't racist, it's reality.

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I don't think it's reasonable to claim that your local news had confirmation that Tillerson was informed on Friday when none of the national news media had reported that claim. They only reported on the White House claim.

Tillerson just confirmed that he found out by tweet. He did not receive a call from the president until noon.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hours-fired-emotional-tillerson-tells-side-story/story?id=53715748

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

So you let your aggression out on him like it’s his fault? Nice.

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I put a like on this post, that I can't stand that it's happening. Tillerson, but more so The Trump Effect.

6. 0007776 Suspended

There is privilege that comes with being born into a wealthy family. Trying to say that that privilege applies to all whites or doesn’t apply to nonwhite wealthy people is most definitely racist.

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

How does pointing out the turnover rate equate support?

8. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

They are pretty much welcomed in the door for a job but as soon as there is conflict of interest due to differences in opinion for various political and religious reasons then one is show the door lol..Possible opponents are not welcome to stay.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Not sure there is a good argument to deny white privilege exists in the US.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

How does Trump not being able to manage his administration equate anything to do with large gov? Other POTUSs didn't have this issue.

11. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I think there's a lot more to it than that. People get fired all the time with Trump, frequently enough that it's not even a disgrace. As I see it, it's a sight better than the Obama style of never firing anyone, no matter how incompetent. Loretta Lynch should have been fired on the spot for her tarmac meeting with Bill Clinton, yet she never was, and that style, repeated over and over through his presidency, opened the gates to corruption. With Trump, it's either perform or time to go. As to this thing with Tillerson, look to what Trump is really doing in this context, based on the contingencies of the hour (NK, Israel, Iran, etc.) and his own management style. I think his tapping of Pompeo signals some farsightedness in the coming foreign policy tasks at hand.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

For many of us, it's not that hard identifying a trainwreck. ;) The captain of the team is still an incompetent as he shoves out many of the competent people around him, and I'm not referencing who he has appointed in the last year. Look at what he is trying to do with the FBI and the State Dept, anything he can to kill the Russian Investigation. And within his appointees, with almost a 50% turnover rate, who is left to jump into the mosh pit with Trump? PS, I'm hoping Mueller nails him.

13. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Stop right there.

White privilege and class privilege is not the same thing.

You can have white privilege and not have class privilege (i.e. be white but be poor)
    You can have class privilege and not be white (i.e. Oprah)
    You can have gender privilege or able bodied privilege.

There are many different types of privilege.

White privilege simply means that you benefit from whiteness in a society that values whiteness more highly than that of other races or non-white ethnicity's.

Example 1: black men are stopped by police at a higher percentage than white men.
    Example 2: People with white sounding names receive more call back's for job interviews than people with black sounding names, even when both individuals have identical resumes.

14. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I didn't say "all" whites. I said that white men, in general, have to look harder to see a lot of the problems in this country and with this current administration. I never said that they can't see them, but you cannot deny the fact that most white men are on board with and are largely blind to the disaster that is the Trump presidency.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

watching the birth of the Dem Communist Party
    Your assumption that because national didn't then local wouldn't. Seriously? Chuckle.
    At this point it doesn't matter. We are getting that he knew, didn't know, SD says this, WH says that, unnamed sources say this and that, he was fired, another was fired, ...

Either way, at this time, no one is confirming anything. A "Surprise!" as a headline makes for more clicks.

16. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Mueller will. Trump is in bed with a whole bunch of Russian oligarchs and is a criminal. This is all slowly coming out as proof becomes solidified in the investigation.

Whether Congress will act on what Mueller finds is another matter. Under this Congress no chance. After November when the GOP are sent packing on all fronts it depends on whether the Dems will put the country first or their own 2020 Presidential Election chances.

17. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

This is true, but I think there is an added dynamic for Trump. Trump actually likes turnover and is comfortable with uncertainty and disagreement among his closest staff. Some see it as chaotic, but to Trump it is business as usual. Remember that his life experience is mostly in real estate development, and construction, which is project-based. That means that when a project is completed, many people depart. And when a new project begins, new staff is recruited. He may well consider the tax reform bill a project. The next economic project – tariffs to protect endangered industries, or maybe elimination of the carried interest provision – requires a somewhat different mix of talent.

In the foreign policy context, Tillerson was instrumental in changing the direction of the Saudis, whom he knows quite well. The result we now see – from Saudis allowing women to drive to Saudis changing their stance toward Israel in a friendly direction to Saudis putting the screws to the local billionaire princeling financiers of Osama bin Laden and other lunatic forces, has been a great thing. But now the landscape has changed. The situation with North Korea, Iran, NAFTA, etc. requires a new set of skills, hence a new team of players.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

watching the birth of the Dem Communist Party
    I think he feels he is factually innocent and sees the Russian thing as a serious distraction. Right or Wrong ... we have to wait and see.

Still, what gets me, is so many cried at his staff picks and claimed they were so the wrong choice. Yet when he replaces those choices, the same group starts screaming about it and citing things like high turn-over.. Heck, they should be thanking him for apparently verifying their initial conclusions. But they aren't.

Personally, I don't think Mueller is going to find anything Russian. He will likely find some kind of financial issue that has nothing to do with "collusion".

19. samcraig macrumors P6

You wrote that with a straight face I'm guessing? Because I'm laughing over here. "Performance" isn't necc the criteria. Loyalty might. He's been "forced" to give people the boot and performance has nothing to do with it. Controversy, scandal and illegal activities. But you know - he hires the best.

On the flip side - perhaps the adage is true - show me a man's friends and I'll show you the man. Bird of a feather. All that good stuff.

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I'm not sure why anyone should applaud Trump for replacing a bad choice with an equally bad or worse choice. Tillerson was terrible, but at least he was willing to express his disagreement with Trump. Replacing him with a Trump toadie is making things even worse.

21. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

That's my point. This appears to be the most mis-managed administration, potentially ever, but the sun keeps coming up and in most ways, people haven't been impacted.

I am really just venting my dissatisfaction with how large the federal government has become. Don't mind me! :D

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Like a doctor saying - sorry - my bad. What I thought was Syphilis is actually Hepatitis C
    People haven't been impacted? Which people? ;)

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

On this topic, without a doubt. I doubt that local even reported what you claimed.

Another successful example of the WH obfuscating truth with lies. When do people stop giving a WH that regularly lies the benefit of the doubt?

24. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

I am not referring to the impacts of policy changes. I am referring to impacts of the insane amount of turnover / chaos.

25. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I think the part that fascinates me there is the 'Sanders' like way saying of 'he replaces those choices'. Tillerson is an exception, for the most part 45's getting new people is the result of resignations to avoid the stink of being fired, or fleeing for seemingly less chaotic environs. 45 doesn't replace, he hires another sucker individual, someone he thinks maybe loyal to him first. Worry about doing the job well second or third.

An example being 45 hasn't 'replaced' communications directors, he's literally just burned thru them like a Fast & Furious film does tires. That's the true norm of this administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ors-in-his-first-term/?utm_term=.ec66d89790bc

You make it sound as if 45 trades up candidates after one just wasn't working out. That's hardly been the case.