Tillerson is out.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by juanm, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Or if they weren’t on the same page and we’re headed into new ground with NOKO (as well as Iran and possibly Israel) then it’s his time to GTFO.

2. jerwin macrumors 68020

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/exodus-rex/555473/

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The poor in the mid west and the mountains probably aren’t treated that well by employers, law enforcement or the courts.

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Chuckle .... I was thinking more along the lines of
    henrietta_hetty_lange_6840.jpg

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Surely the republicans are the ones who should be hoping for Pence in the White House?

6. 0007776 Suspended

It would be in their best interests if they want to retain power longer than 4 years.

7. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

This proves nothing, but I watched a video where a cranky old white guy was talked into giving up his gun, a white guy wrestled in a fast food restaurant (no shots fired), countered by many videos were black men have been gunned down in their cars for things like a tail light out.

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I agree with most all of his policies so IMO it's refreshing to see him do what he says and overall, yes, I think we're better of for it.

10. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I don't think that's the test (e.g., whether they affirm Trump's position). I think the issue is whether they get along with Trump, have chemistry, and support the policies that he ran on. Rumor has it that Trump and Pompeo get along swimmingly.

AEI did a rare interview with Mike Pompeo in his role as CIA Director back in January. Worth the time to watch. It gives some insight into how the President works with intelligence and makes executive decisions.

http://www.aei.org/events/intellige...-cia-director-mike-pompeo-livestreamed-event/

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That's just a misunderstanding of what white privilege is. It was already explained to you.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/tillerson-is-out.2109915/page-6#post-25891833

12. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

IIRC, there where a lot of times Rex butted heads with #45. They had obvious and frequent differences over many things, a couple of times I think there were calls for his removal.

This time Rex was in Africa, and NOKO was instigated by SOKO and a direct invitation to #45, Rex was not even aware.

And as we know #45 is incredibly predictably spontaneous on decisions. What diplomatic event happened just hours before his boot mark?
    Russia.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2018 ---
    #45 has wedded supporters. If Republicans oust #45, there will a mass exodus of support with #45.

13. 0007776 Suspended

So take your average white male in Appalachia, how has their “white privilege” helped them? I see a lot of people trying to claim that it exists and explaining it various ways once one way of explaining it is debunked, but I never see how it actually benefits the average working class white person.

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Because they have advantages over the average working class black or brown person. This isn't hard. All else being equal, white people in the US enjoy privilege over minorities.

15. 0007776 Suspended

So living in poverty is privilege? Again, what advantages does the average white person in Appalachia have over anyone else?

16. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Well, here's one simple example:

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You keep asking the wrong question. The advantage isn't "over anyone else". The advantage is over minorities in the exact same circumstances. I'm assuming that you aren't ignorant of the disadvantages that minorities face in this country.

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

This is an interesting article about the concept of "white privilege": https://www.huffingtonpost.com/gina...vilege-to-a-broke-white-person_b_5269255.html

The author is a white woman who grew up in extreme poverty and initially resisted the concept of "white privilege". She also points to some examples where privileges attributed to race may actually be due more to class. But it explains that people can be privileged in some ways and disadvantaged in others (i.e. intersectionality). To those who are economically disadvantaged, any possible social privilege due to their race won't mean much. The problem with the concept of "white privilege" is that it is an academic term that entered mainstream society and was perceived to mean "every white person is better off than every non-white person", which is so obviously false that it can't possibly be the intended meaning.

19. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Don't be surprised if he fires his own family members for the sake of his perceived "ratings". He would run over Ivanka with a John Deere Tractor if it meant a slight uptick in his Approval Rating from the American people.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2018 ---
    Next up to get booted out of the WH: McMaster or Kelly.

Even Bonehead Betsy is on Donald's recent hit list.

20. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Sad that when Tillerson got the boot he was just finishing up an apology tour of sorts to Africa. It was certainly not a name he would have applied to the trip but after Trump's disrespect of Haiti, El Salvador and African nations, an apology -- and perhaps more than that, some positive recognition-- was certainly an expectation and Tillerson was off to make at least a show of regarding Africa as something besides a target for Trump's insults. One wonders if Pompeo and Trump would even have bothered with such a gesture.

Interesting opinion piece on who's certainly willing to fill any power vacuum implied by Donald Trump's disdain for the African countries: China, which has already been busy adding jobs and infrastructure at a good clip on that continent.

21. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

How am I letting out my aggression on him?

Venting my frustration, sure, but I'm sure as **** not taking out my aggression.

And this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about, that straight, white, cis men don't see.

https://www.advocate.com/transgender/2016/6/01/james-dobson-be-man-shoot-transgender-woman-bathroom

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/us/transgender-women-killed.html

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-j...e-are-dying-violent-deaths-in-record-numbers/

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It seems like we've hit a pretty low point if we're bemoaning the loss of Tillerson. He was loathed in the State Department.

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Off topic:

I wouldn't be upset if he'd take Sessions with him. War on drugs? Does he really think a growing billion dollar industry will benefit from him putting harsher punishment on it?

California and other states are benefiting from tax revenue. There is no proof it is causing more harm than good. With the talks of locking down opioids and those who sell them (Legally and illegally), he can still turn a blind eye?

He's doing more harm than good.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Me neither.

25. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Wait until they get a load of Pompeo.