Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
I saw a midnight sneak viewing of the movie on IMAX:
Tim Burton + Johnny Depp= very entertaining. Not to mention I love the little boy (he's also in Finding Neverland)! It was fun, the first 100 people got a special clear, rubber, bouncy ball w/ images of the kids inside; I got the chubby one. :p
 

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
1,027
0
London, UK.
i've been looking forward to this film for a while now..should be great.

of course, us brits will get it a few months after you guys.

plus, you can never have enough of the oompa loompas!



mmm...oompa loompa doompadee doo...ok, i'll shutup now :rolleyes:
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
I dunno. I still think I prefer the original Charlie and The Chocolate Factory movie. The movie I made up in my head as I was reading the book as a child.
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
Lacero said:
I dunno. I still think I prefer the original Charlie and The Chocolate Factory movie. The movie I made up in my head as I was reading the book as a child.
Yeah although the new one (from the clips I've seen) looks a little more like my imagined movie. I loathed the last one with Gene Wilder in it. It was nothing like Willy Wonka should be.

I did smile at the supermarket last week to see the Willy Wonka sweets with the flash to say there are 5 gold tickets inside...
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
I still haven't read the book. <Please don't kill me!> But according to some people, this movie is closer to the book than the original. I've also heard rumors that the makers of the original movie were poised to make a sequel (so following Roald Dahl's books, probably The Glass Elevator) but Dahl was so displeased with the outcome of the first movie that he wouldn't allow them to make it.

Asif, how come the UK gets the movie, "months" after the States?

As for the original, I hated Charlie's mother's song. "Cheer up Charlie." Gag. But man, the first time I saw Willy Wonka approach the Golden Ticket winners and he was about to fall but somersaulted... that was mind-boggling to me. :D
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
Lacero said:
I dunno. I still think I prefer the original Charlie and The Chocolate Factory movie. The movie I made up in my head as I was reading the book as a child.
Seems like an odd thing to say, considering the remake is much closer to Dahl's version than the original, which was much lighter and more wholesome than the book. Also, uh, can you have a preference if you haven't seen it?

edit: oh, duh, i see what you mean. With CGI and everything, imagination gets buried by the wayside :(
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
rainman::|:| said:
Seems like an odd thing to say, considering the remake is much closer to Dahl's version than the original, which was much lighter and more wholesome than the book. Also, uh, can you have a preference if you haven't seen it?
I meant to say the original movie I envisioned in my head. I've never seen the Wilder version.
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
Lacero said:
Actually I meant to say the original movie I envisioned in my head.
Yeah you beat me to it, I'm not too quick this morning :)

Anyway I'm hoping to see it in the next couple of weeks, looking forward immensely :)
 

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
1,992
126
Burlington, VT
FYI, the first movie was called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, while this one is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The second is the real name of the book, maybe they were allowed to called it that because it follows the story closer.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
wwooden said:
FYI, the first movie was called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, while this one is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The second is the real name of the book, maybe they were allowed to called it that because it follows the story closer.
Thanks for that info regarding the original's name. I hope I don't ruin anybody's day, but the movie really is about Willy Wonka; ironically (in regards to the movie titles), the original was much more focused on Charlie than Wonka but Tim Burton's definitely delves into Wonka's character more. It's a bit like Shakespeare's "Caesar" in that the play isn't really about Caesar, but about Brutus.
 

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
1,027
0
London, UK.
devilot76 said:
Asif, how come the UK gets the movie, "months" after the States?

As for the original, I hated Charlie's mother's song. "Cheer up Charlie." Gag. But man, the first time I saw Willy Wonka approach the Golden Ticket winners and he was about to fall but somersaulted... that was mind-boggling to me. :D
heh, we just do. i guess it's just how films work..oops, i just checked and we get it two weeks after you..which is odd, because normally the difference is longer [perhaps because this is a summer holiday kids film the release window is similar]

the somersault (sp?) in the gene wilder movie is my favourite moment (apart from the oompa loompa dance).

i hope this film doesn't ruin the whole story for me. :eek:

i remember when we had wonka bars in the uk..they were chocolate bars with that stuff that crackles in your mouth. mmm..they were great..but then i stopped seeing them - do they still make them?

looks like it's time for an impromptu visit to tescos :D
 

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
788
0
Center of the Nation
i watched the original last night, have never really watched it all the way through before. I'm hopefully that the new one is not going to suck. Everytime I watch the previews, I get excited about it but they just dont look all that good. Depp plus burton plus danny elfman is always gold, so i believe it should not disappoint.
 

L

Lau

Guest
Lacero said:
I dunno. I still think I prefer the original Charlie and The Chocolate Factory movie. The movie I made up in my head as I was reading the book as a child.
Totally. I haven't seen quite a few films because I've got such a vivid picture of what the characters look like. Quite a few I have seen I've been disappointed by. Although most of the Roald Dahl books I had were illustrated by Quentin Blake, the Charlie and The Chocolate Factory I had had some kind of old pen and ink drawings that were a bit spooky and sinister. They were great. Charlie was this skinny scruffy little kid, and the grandparents were unbelievably wizened and old.

I might try and find it actually, will scan some and edit this post if I find them...
 

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2005
588
22
asif786 said:
the somersault (sp?) in the gene wilder movie is my favourite moment (apart from the oompa loompa dance).
The somersault, if i have the story right, was Wilder's own invention, or at least he was in on it with the director. Why show Wonka as a decrepit, listless, limping figure, then suddenly reverse things? Because from that moment forward, said Wilder in his memoirs, the audience would never know whether Wonka was kidding or serious....

Whatever the faults of the original film, Wilder has to be counted as its great virtue.
 

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
10,570
2,660
Bay Area
a kind of strange middle aged man with pale skin and long hair who hangs around with children... does this sound familiar?

I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to think anything besides that about this movie.
 

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
1,495
0
Rockford MI
I have to say I dont want to see this movie becuase I was so freaked out by the little umpalumpas in the orignal movie when I was a kid :eek: :(
 

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
2,626
0
asif786 said:
i've been looking forward to this film for a while now..should be great.

of course, us brits will get it a few months after you guys.

Comes out in the UK and worldwide on the 29 July I think.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
And Runninmac, don't worry, there's technically only one oompa loompa, well, one actor. He's definitely nowhere near the creepiness of the former neon-orangey-too-much-self-tanner oompa loompas. ;)

AlBDamned said:
Comes out in the UK and worldwide on the 29 July I think.
Bummer, guess I started this thread too soon, then, huh? Sigh. Oh well. I think I'm gonna go see it again in a standard theater. I really liked it. :D
 

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
1,874
0
Madison, Alabama
runninmac said:
I have to say I dont want to see this movie becuase I was so freaked out by the little umpalumpas in the orignal movie when I was a kid :eek: :(
Ugh. The part that freaked me out was when the kid (Augustus?) fell into the chocolate lake and got sucked up into one of those pipes. Yes, I owe a number of childhood nightmares to Willy Wonka and Poltergeist.

Having said that, I'm still interested in seeing Tim Burton's version. ;)
 
wwooden said:
FYI, the first movie was called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, while this one is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The second is the real name of the book, maybe they were allowed to called it that because it follows the story closer.
If I remember correctly, the original movie was call Willy Wonka to tie it in more closely with the candy company in promotions.

Wilder's performance made 'Willy Wonka' for me. Dahl didn't enjoy the various added dialog in the movie that was added by the director/Wilder to give Wonka more dimension, but I think more than anything he just didn't get along with the people making the movie. I haven't seen the Burton version, but I don't think I will enjoy it as much as the original. Of course, I didn't really enjoy the book too much either.
 

theonenonlyjoey

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2004
88
0
San Jose, CA
QCassidy352 said:
a kind of strange middle aged man with pale skin and long hair who hangs around with children... does this sound familiar?

I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to think anything besides that about this movie.
First thing that came to my mind when I saw the poster.
 

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
721
0
Brooklyn, NY
anonymous161 said:
If I remember correctly, the original movie was call Willy Wonka to tie it in more closely with the candy company in promotions.

Wilder's performance made 'Willy Wonka' for me. Dahl didn't enjoy the various added dialog in the movie that was added by the director/Wilder to give Wonka more dimension, but I think more than anything he just didn't get along with the people making the movie. I haven't seen the Burton version, but I don't think I will enjoy it as much as the original. Of course, I didn't really enjoy the book too much either.
Actually I read in the paper today they changed the name to Willy Wonka because Charlie was considered a racial slur at the time.
 

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
721
0
Brooklyn, NY
QCassidy352 said:
a kind of strange middle aged man with pale skin and long hair who hangs around with children... does this sound familiar?

I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to think anything besides that about this movie.
I don't want to spoil it for you, but I heard there are a few more MJ coincidences in the movie. :eek: