macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Tim Cook 2nd in top 50 Gay celebrities of 2014 by OUT Magazine

http://www.out.com/out-exclusives/power-50/2014/04/15/power-50#slide-2

TIM COOK
2. Tim Cook
CEO, Apple, 53

Although Apple continues to battle for its share of the global marketplace against industry behemoths Samsung, Microsoft, and Amazon, Cook remains the most powerful gay man in corporate America. His influence hasn’t faltered, but as he strategizes to keep the company on top in a fiercely competitive environment, he still hasn’t increased his public persona. Cook has never publicly discussed his sexual orientation, but in December 2013, the Alabama native gave a landmark speech at an event organized by his alma mater, Auburn University, in which he finally discussed suffering personal prejudice. “Since these early days, I have seen and have experienced many types of discrimination, and all of them were rooted in the fear of people that were different than the majority.”
[edit] Took a whole 60 seconds for this to be moved to the political area of the forums. It's a sad day when any talk about being gay has to be in special areas. It should be open and free to talk about, as much as talking about the company Cook is CEO of. But this is not an ideal world and gay people are not treated as they should be. Hence this topic is stuck in the political area of the forum.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I don't care about a person's sexual orientation, what I care about is how he does his job.

The lack of products coming from apple (other then thinner designs) is such that I'm disappointed in how he's been running the company. True Apple is probably a more compassionate and giving corporation and that's a good thing, but from a product standpoint he's not done much in his stint as the head of apple, though I will say its near impossible to replace a legend.

----------

[edit] Took a whole 60 seconds for this to be moved to the political area of the forums.
Its not just the political forum but Political, Religion and social issues, this is a social topic so it does belong here.

the8thark

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Its not just the political forum but Political, Religion and social issues, this is a social topic so it does belong here.
If it was top 50 celebrities, this topic would not have been moved. That one little word "gay" is the reason for the move. We are all aware of this.

Seriously I think Tim should have been No.1 and Neil Tennant be No.2. But meh this is just a subjective list by the magazine editor's favourite gay people.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Can someone help me understand why Cook would make this list when he's never officially confirmed that he's gay? The magazine is called OUT but Cook hasn't come out. :confused:

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Gay shmay. This wearable device, whatever it's going to be called, better be the most beautiful and most functional smart watch ever put on the market or I'll be seriously pissed.

----------

Steve would've been number one.
Yeah but he would have never agreed on the larger screens. He would have insisted on keeping the 4 inch screens for another 5 years. It sucks though, when Steve died in 2011 I read the he left a 5 year road map for apple. It's been almost 3 years already, either his road map sucked or Tim just isn't following it.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors 604
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Can someone help me understand why Cook would make this list when he's never officially confirmed that he's gay? The magazine is called OUT but Cook hasn't come out. :confused:
I thought he had a wife, too. *shrug*. Like it matters, anyway. Why is this in the PSRI forum though, there's nothing remotely political, religious, or social (at least more social over Apple) about this.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I thought he had a wife, too. *shrug*. Like it matters, anyway. Why is this in the PSRI forum though, there's nothing remotely political, religious, or social (at least more social over Apple) about this.
Because if you left it in the regular forum, one of the mouth breathers would eventually say "I aint buying no products from a company run by a ******, Leviticus says being homosexual is wrong and Tim Cook will burn in hell for his sins, praise Jesus!" and then it would be PRSI material. Leaving it out there would delay the inevitable.

the8thark

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Why is this in the PSRI forum though, there's nothing remotely political, religious, or social (at least more social over Apple) about this.
It's here basically because some people don't like the word "gay" out in the open.

----------

Because if you left it in the regular forum, one of the mouth breathers would eventually say "I aint buying no products from a company run by a ******, Leviticus says being homosexual is wrong and Tim Cook will burn in hell for his sins, praise Jesus!" and then it would be PRSI material. Leaving it out there would delay the inevitable.
That is just an excuse. If that happens the user would have their posts moderated and/or the topic would have it's posts cleaned up. That is still no reason for this topic being moved here.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
That is just an excuse. If that happens the user would have their posts moderated and/or the topic would have it's posts cleaned up. That is still no reason for this topic being moved here.
I agree, if you ask me, any user who posts that sort of crap should have their post deleted and be banned for posting hate speech. If Tim Cook was black and the f-word was replaced with the n-word, that's probably what would happen.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Tim Cook is gay?:eek: I did not know that. My response is, "So what?":rolleyes: He's still doing a bang up job running :apple:.:cool: I'd like him to give the Mac's a little more love, but Timmy is following (or leading) the market. And the market is demanding portables devices.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
And yet, perhaps ironically, you were the one to bring this tone to the thread; rather than the other way around.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
It's not a new product. Just another version of a current one. The iPhone, the iPad, the iPod, the MacBook… Those were all new products.
Mac-1984
iPod-2001
iPhone-2007
iPad-2010

Those have been the major new products from Apple that revolutionized markets using your criteria for all new products. Not counting variations( iPod Mini, Shuffle, Nano, etc). Expecting an all new product line in a short manner is unrealistic. The iPad came out fast because they already had the basics set by the iPhone.

What are you expecting exactly?

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It's not a new product. Just another version of a current one. The iPhone, the iPad, the iPod, the MacBook… Those were all new products.

iPod in 2001
iPhone in 2007
iPad in 2010

Is there a rule that you need a new product category every three or four years? Why is Apple the only company criticized for this? Where is the innovation from others other than gimmicks or failed watches.

Tim Cook is on record as saying there would be a new product category(s) this year. If we don't get something by then, then I think it would be fair to criticize them for lack of innovation.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
If someone already has, it's not news.

Is there a rule that you need a new product category every three or four years? Why is Apple the only company criticized for this? Where is the innovation from others other than gimmicks or failed watches.
They are standing around, waiting for Apple to show them. So they can make lower cost versions of the same idea.

What everyone is lamenting is something Tim has yet to show he has, vision. Visionaries are few and far between. But no, it's not been long enough to see if it's now missing.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
What are you expecting exactly?
I am expecting Apple to come out with something that I have to buy. Something that everyone will want to have. Because that is what Apple does.

iPod in 2001
iPhone in 2007
iPad in 2010

Tim Cook is on record as saying there would be a new product category(s) this year. If we don't get something by then, then I think it would be fair to criticize them for lack of innovation.
You forgot Apple TV in 2007. Apple is a leader not a follower. People grow to expect great things from them because of this. Every time Apple announces that there will be an announcement there is great buzz. Remember, Steve taking the iPod out of his pocket or his keynote for the iPad? How many times did he use words that made us want it today?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Does Tim Cook publicly identify himself as a gay man?

If not this is HIGHLY inappropriate.

To quote Kevin, who has been accused/rumored of being gay since forever:

"Look, at the end of the day people have to respect people's differences. I am different than some people would like me to be. I just don't buy into that the personal can be political. I just think that's *********. No one's personal life is in the public interest. It's gossip, bottom line. End of story."