Tim Cook: iPhone X is a 'Super Bowl Winner' Even if You Wanted It to Win 'By a Few More Points'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 1, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During today's earnings call covering the second fiscal quarter of 2018, Apple CEO declined to provide specific information on iPhone X sales, but he did suggest that the new device has been selling well, a major contrast to reports that have suggested poor sales and waning orders.

According to Cook, customers chose the iPhone X more than any other iPhone "each and every week" of the March quarter, just as they did following the device's launch in the December quarter.

[​IMG]

Furthermore, Cook said that the iPhone X marks the first time its most expensive, flagship device has been its most popular device. Cook said that Apple was "surprised somewhat" that the iPhone X was the most popular device each week since its launch. "That's a powerful point," he said. iPhone X was also the most popular smartphone in China during the quarter.
    Referencing customer satisfaction numbers for the iPhone X, Cook said that the device is a "beloved product." He went on to use a Super Bowl metaphor to describe iPhone X sales.
    Cook also discussed Apple's iPhone X pricing strategy, as he has done in the past. "We price for the value we're delivering," he said. "The iPhone X is the most innovative product on the market, and as I've said a few times, it's jam packed with technology that sets the smartphone up for the next decade. That's how we priced it."

Cook also said that Apple will "continue to provide" different iPhones to meet different consumer needs, perhaps referencing plans to introduce a three iPhone lineup in 2018.

Article Link: Tim Cook: iPhone X is a 'Super Bowl Winner' Even if You Wanted It to Win 'By a Few More Points'

2. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

A Super Bowl winner?

Weird word choice, but hey, if it rallies up morale for the Apple fam, so be it.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Clearly the iPhone X was a huge hit but not as much as Apple wanted but hey it still did great.

4. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

iPhone X costs about $2k in Australia but it’s hands down my favourite phone! Will definitely be keeping it well into next decade.

5. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Good for Apple and Tim Cook that Apple is selling so much stuff.
    But I wish I could still be really enthusiastic about their products.

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Extremely solid phone, if only it didn’t use PWM...

7. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

"The PT Cruiser was clearly a huge hit, but not as much as Chrysler wanted." *beep, beep* Hey, they were everywhere! :D

PS 2018 says 'hi'.

8. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

Sad. Apple is going to burn $100 billions to buy stocks. They should have used it for R&D.

9. IG88 macrumors 6502

IG88

Pulse Width Modulation?

10. apolloa macrumors G4

That almost sounds like an admission the analysts were right! Speaking of which how’s the Face ID on yours?

11. -BigMac- Suspended

-BigMac-

Not what Apple wants to hear

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

No issues with Face ID here. Works I would say most of the time. It’s great in the dark which was one of my question marks from Touch ID. Not sure how it will work on the next iPad Pro but will see as it would be a different type of usage on a desk for example as I use my iPad for work as well.

13. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

So much for all the highly paid “experts” and prognosticators predicting massive drop off in sales of iPhone X.

14. -BigMac- Suspended

-BigMac-

How would touchid be influenced by the dark?

15. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I mean coming from Touch ID I had question marks about the reliability of Face ID in the dark.

16. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Why does it bother you? (honest question, I read something about this in a different thread, but not sure).

17. apolloa macrumors G4

Thanks, think I’ll end up with one as my 6S battery is not as good on 11.3 despite being reported as good. Need a new phone camera before Goodwood FOS too :) and with the price I doubt I’ll bother with the iPad.... too expensive for both.

18. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Um, missing the home button? :D

19. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It made the phone unusable. The PWM causes a lot of eye pain for me.

20. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

The quotation marks in the headline are making my eyes screwy. o_O

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It’s an adjustment at the start but won’t take you long I’m sure :)

22. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Are we supposed to be happy now for a company that keeps getting our money every year for a new iPhone?

23. PittyTheKitty macrumors newbie

PittyTheKitty

wait.... Wasn't Tim Cook just hanging with Trump? This is a very Trumpy thing to be saying.

24. -BigMac- Suspended

-BigMac-

Thats makes more sense haha:D