Tim Cook is abusing his position of CEO with his political lobbying

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by the8thark, Mar 31, 2017.

1. the8thark, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

We are seeing Tim Cook constantly lobby the government and push controversial government policies by saying Apple is pushing for this or Apple wants that. Tim Cook IS abusing his position of Apple CEO by having Apple lobby these controversial issues. Issues that have no direct relation to improving Apple as a business.

On Tim Cook's own time he can lobby whoever he wants to, but on Apple's time he should be working hard for Apple as CEO, not pushing his own political agenda. Tim Cook knows this, he's a smart man. He is abusing his position as CEO here because no one has the guts to call him out on it.

I seriously think Carl Icahn one of Apple's largest shareholders needs to call Tim Cook out on this. Call Tim Cook out on his blatent abuse of position as CEO by lobbying as Apple and not as Tim Cook (private and rich citizen). Sure being Apple CEO would get him more lobbying power but still he should be doing it as Tim Cook and not as CEO of Apple by saying Apple is lobbying for this and that.

Tim Cook being a hardline Democrat doesn't even come into this. I'd say the same even fi he was not a Democrat. Disgusting actions from Tim Cook on the matter. Makes me very disappointed in him.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Ah ah ahh...

Corporations are people too, my friend. -Mitt Romney

BL.

3. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

People, not person. Where's the majority vote from all US Apple employees on on this?
    It's just a captain's call by CEO Cook.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Ahh ahh.. corporations are people too, my friend. -Mitt Romney

And a corporation isn't the sum of its employees. A corporation is the sum of its SHAREHOLDERS.

BL.

5. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

Hence my comment above about getting the largest shareholder Carl Icahn to put in a vbote of no confidence against Tim Cook. I don't see Tim Cook rushing out to get shareholder approval to lobby government on behalf of Apple.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Which as nothing to do with Apple Employees. What you are referring to is a union.

And getting Icahn to vote no confidence? why? He's getting the results, in the form of money in his pocket. No shareholder is really going to do what you are saying when stock prices are going up and their pockets are getting filled.

Something tells me that your rant here is less about Cook's performance and more about something you are bent out of shape about.

Full Disclosure: I own stock in Apple.

BL.

7. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I doubt he is doing this against the wishes of the board. I also doubt they are displeased with him--APPL is around all-time highs, so he seems to be doing just fine.

You are almost a year out of date. Icahn dumped Apple in April 2016.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't the job of a CEO to lobby for the good of his company.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2017 ---
    Apple employees don't have any say in what the CEO or board do. Shareholders do.

9. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

And with shares reaching an all time high, and sales numbers appearing to be recovering from the 2016 slump.

I'm thinking Cook's speaking on political topics, is not in anyway negatively effecting the company, and the "Market" may actually be agreeing with him.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Plus Apple Inc is headquartered in the heart of blue country. Silicon Valley is a very liberal area.

If Cook was the head of Exxon Mobil saying these things yes shareholders would be pissed.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It's not just Tim and Apple.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Agreed, most smart CEOs know Trump is bad news.

13. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think they would be doing even better if Tim kept quiet. Annoying a good percentage of your customers is not a good business strategy.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2017 ---
    I meant other companies.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is a "good percentage" annoyed or just a vocal minority. How many hard righties really care what Apple is doing.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To me Tim Cook might have been great CFO but he has dropped the ball with the Mac! The Mac Pro is over 5 years old! The iMac is becoming long in tooth! He oked the the dumbing down the Mac Mini!

16. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Apple is worth 753,700,000,000 at the close of today. The few on this forum that are crying like little girls with their panties all bunched do not represent any percentage of the company.

Full disclosure: I don't own any Apple stock. But I do own 2 iPhones, and 4 iPads and a 2009 mbp.

17. Meister, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

Meister Suspended

Meister

The only reason I use apple is because they still make the overall best products.

Their quality has gone down lately and their pricing has become even more ridiculous.

If I had any other option I would not use apple.

18. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

AFAIK even with Tim in charge, Rush Limbaugh is still an Apple Evangelist.

Most of middle America don't really give two ***** about what CEOs say, and even less are aware of what CEOs say, unless it's something scandalous. Even then, the average consumer doesn't care.

When you say "quality has gone down". Is that the quality of the overall product or the quality control/assurance.

Because, if it's the former, that's wholly subjective and if it's that bad for you, maybe you should move on.

If it's the latter, QC/A is percentage wise, no better or worse than before. It seems worse because the volume has increased massively.

19. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

I think, unless Tim Cook puts Apple first and not his political agenda. . . . Tim Cook needs to be fired from Apple. A vote of no confidence in Cook by the board. I am aware this will never happen as the board are just as hard on following the democrat line. The board is chosen that way.

The large shareholders are either also hard democrats or gutless and refulse to stand tp to Tim Cook.

We need someone with power and with guts to stand to to Tim Cook and say enough is enough. This BS you are pushing on your employees is wrong. It needs to be stopped.

20. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

Tim Cook is using Apple to push his political agenda. Highly immoral and should be highly illegal too. But can anyone else do what Tim Cook is doing for Apple?

Nope.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2017 ---
    Tim Cook is an *******. His political agenda BS and other things prove this. Tim just tries to hide this fact whereas Jobs did not. Jobs was open about being an *******, Tim hides it away.

21. AidenShaw, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Tim Cook's "agenda" is also the agenda for the best and brightest talent that Apple needs to hire.

Tim's personal opinions could be completely opposite of what you call his "agenda" - but as CEO he needs to position Apple as a company that supports green initiatives, LGBTQ rights, especially "T" rights, and other things that the orange orangutan tweets against.

The top straight kids from the top universities want to work for companies that openly support LGBTQ rights.

Look at HRC's Corporate Equality Index (http://www.hrc.org/campaigns/corporate-equality-index) - particularly the list of 515 major employers who got 100% scores (start on page 38). My Silicon Valley company has been on the 100% list for 7 or 8 years. 8 or 9 years ago the Board of Directors directly tasked Human Resources and Community Responsibility with getting a 100% score - not "do better by our LGBTQ employees", but literally to get into the top tier of LGBTQ friendly employers.

The first year we got an 85% ranking - because there simply wasn't enough time to update the corporate health plan to cover gender reassignment surgery. We got that in, and have been at 100% the 7 or 8 years since.

Note that each year the criteria change, so that yearly progress or adjustments are needed. (For example, prior to marriage equality one question was whether companies did tax adjustments so that a gay employee who had his partner on the company health plan didn't pay more than a straight male employee who had his wife on the health plan. The tax benefits were significant - the gay male employee would have to treat the value of the health plan as taxable income, the straight male employee paid nothing.)

I really hope that your post isn't just a homophobic tirade about being angry that Apple treats its employees fairly, and supports gender-neutral fairness everywhere.

22. Dave245 macrumors 603

Tim Cook needs to be fired for what reason? I don't see what's wrong in fact Apple is continuing to grow.

23. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

Are you aware of Tim Cook abosing his position of CEO to push his political agenda?

24. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

For starters why are you bringing up the homophobic victim card defence. Tim Cook being a gay man has absolutely nothing to do with this. That's totally off topic. I didn't mention it at all because it's not an issue. You however did mention it. Is Tim Cook being gay an issue to you? It is not an issue at all to me.

Secondly the reason why Tim needs to go is because of his abosing the position of CEO to push his political agenda. That's all there is to it really.

Though I will say Tim Cook's push for equality of outcome and gender and other quotas in hiring practices is totally wrong. Equality of opportunity is always the best way. Choose the best person for the job based on how well they can do their job, not based on any pathetic gender or other quota. It's about time we all treated everyone equally.

25. Dave245 macrumors 603

The only thing i see is Apple growing under Tim Cook, his political opinions are of no concern to me altho he has made Apple a more diverse company, he also believes in privacy which is a great thing for us consumers who use Apple devices.