Tim Cook is NOT Liberal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tapiture, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Tapiture, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

Tapiture macrumors 6502

As a democrat I don't consider Tim Cook one of my kin. Sure, he's openly gay, but he's also a tax-evading, resource-wasting, child-labor-abusing capitalist hog. He's not liberal at all but he puts on this act because he knows his target market of artists and lower to middle-classers buy Apple because of its conceived hip, liberal-ness. He says "oh look over here at our field of solar panels, or at my angry letters to Donald Trump," but he doesn't want anyone to think about his little tax-haven scheme in Ireland or his abuse of lax Chinese labor laws, employing children and paying workers a little over $3 an hour. Most rely on overtime to make enough to live, working over 60 hours a week.

So no, I don't consider Tim Cook an ally of the economic policy of the Democrats, and while he may advocate for LGBTQ rights and rail against descriminative immigration policy, all is to promote the Apple brand, and he does little to promote or follow actual democratic policy.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're thinking "he's not progressive" (economically speaking). Liberalism openly allows for (metered) corporatism, look at the last 20 years of of the "liberal" DNC. When Pelosi, Schumer, Clinton, etc. can be considered "liberal" then the term no longer means what it used to.

I think the sentiment you'd describe yourself as (considering you give a damn about people above corporate profit) as a "progressive" no?

3. elistan macrumors 6502a

I hate labels like left, right, liberal, progressive, conservative - they mean different things to different people and are thus effectively meaningless. Their only use seems to be to apply to other people as a pejorative, or to obfuscate somebody's real position.

4. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

The Democratic Party has historically sided with laborers, against corporations, and kept those at the top in check. Progressiveism today, as far as I can tell, is simply a restoration of the old Democratic Party. Liberal, democrat, progressive all describe someone identifying with an era of the Democratic Party.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Technically speaking, we are all "liberals," albeit some are farther to the left or right than others.

In my opinion, the progressive movement as we have seen, is (for all intent and purposes) radically based and seeks to subvert the foundation of the Republic (The Constitution) and replace it with legislative and judicial activism. I consider said ideology and movement dangerous to the Republic. Said movement is also not the same thing as the Democratic Party of old.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You should read the story of the NYU student that went undercover at a Chinese factory making iPhones. Because your facts are all wrong.

Also, Apple is doing more than its peers. Maybe you should pick on the worst offenders instead of the one making continuous improvements.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I have heard (modern american) liberalism described as a way of safeguarding capitalism from the left so it kinda makes sense.

9. cardfan macrumors 65816

Practicing tax avoidance isn't anti-liberal. It's what you do. Just as making good deals, negotiating for lowest price, making good investments, etc..are what you do.

In a corporation, you answer to stock holders or stakeholders. It's what you do no matter if you're liberal, conservative, purple, pink, gay, or whatever. He's not Tim Cook the individual, he's the CEO of Apple. Tim Cook, the individual, is irrelevant.

Don't confuse actors with who they portray.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Historically, yes. The last 20 years or so as they've become "third way" democrats, not at all.

11. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

It's kind of sad how much they've focused on the social issues instead of policy. Most Americans agree with democrats on policy but their social views scare people away.

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Not in recent history it hasn't. A major flaw in two party thinking is that if one party is for something then the other party is automatically against it when there are many things currently where those in power in both parties are aligned in action.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think you have that reversed.

The Democrats stand with people (rightfully so) on social issues, but don't seem to understand that their neoliberal economic policies (which are exactly the same as the GOP minus the reflex to give anything and everything to the obscenely wealthy) are the ones that generate the despair (and therefore political energy) that is captured by the GOP and used to gain votes.

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

The Democratic party has been hijacked by corporatists. If you don't accept those values than brace yourself for many disappointments and clearly their slaughter in the last election hasn't changed the leadership's mind.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly this. Pelosi, Reid, Schumer. The DNC at the very top is lousy with corporatists more intent on "playing the game" aka being beholden to large contributors (corporate power) to hold power than actually representing the lower 90% of the country.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like you're requiring a liberal purity test. I'd need to hear his opinion on specific political issues before I threw him off the liberal bus.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Tim Cook has no beliefs in my opinion. He will do an say what is required to make more money for himself and Apple. He will speak out against the administration here but those principles he is showboating shrink like my wedding tackle in cold water when it comes to, say, China's policies regrading privacy and human rights. He knows the Chinese government will rip those Apple products off the shelves if Tim says anything against the regime. Then the shareholders will be on Tim's neck like Oprah on a baked ham.

18. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Tim Cook is the perfect now Democrat, business first and then any cause that doesn’t interfere with business. Democratic leadership used to get criticized for aligning with Wall St. Now they get criticized for also aligning with Silicon Valley in the same sentence and with the same weight.

I considered myself an unregistered Democrat until about half way through Obama’s second term and I don’t understand most Democrats who haven’t seen the blatantly obvious light and still cling on to the rotting corpse. I’m not a Republican now either but at least with Republicans you know what you are signing up for and in many instances aligning yourself with Democrats is also endorsing traditionally Republican platforms.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is how I felt, exactly. I voted for Obama, then regretted it ever since. The DNC leadership is, on the economic policy level, the Republican mainstream of the late 90's/early 2000's.

20. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

If you look at the bulk of Obama’s accomplishments you’d swear he was a Republican, and as has been mentioned before, Democrats largely turn a blind eye when it’s their guy doing it and throwing them a few social issue bones. In that regard Republican leadership probably would accomplish more of their agenda now if Clinton won.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

There is no difference between the two parties today. Two names, one organization.

22. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

"There are no more countries, only corporations" don't remember who said that, but it wasn't me. ;)

23. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Unfortunately, historically, the Democratic Party wasn't the party of civil rights. The Republican Party can claim that. Parties change. 80 years ago I'd most likely be voting Republican and despising the racist Democrats.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

There is no party today that is advocating against civil rights.

25. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Oh really? What's happening with the civil rights division in the DOJ? Which party consistently ignores racism?