Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook called into "Mad Money" on CNBC today to speak to host Jim Cramer in honor of the show's 10th anniversary, where he shared some thoughts on ResearchKit, Apple's competitors, Apple Pay, the next frontiers of product development, and more.

When asked what he believes the "next frontiers" will be when it comes to product development, Tim Cook highlighted health as "the biggest one of all," along with cars and the home. According to Cook, devices like the Apple Watch and services like ResearchKit and the Health app that allow people to track their own health and fitness are part of a market that's "probably significantly underestimated."

timcookjimcramer.jpg
Cook called ResearchKit, which the company debuted on Monday, "an absolute game changer." ResearchKit is an open source software framework aimed at researchers, and several apps have already been created with it. On Wednesday, two days after the first apps were available, Stanford University researchers said they had received 11,000 signups for just one of them.

In regard to the Apple Watch and HealthKit, Cramer asked whether it was "within the realm of our lifetime" that the device paired with HealthKit might be able to monitor diabetes, blood pressure, and detect cancer, and Tim Cook said "Oh, I absolutely do."

On competition, when Cramer asked whether or not Apple felt like the competition had been left behind, Cook said the company is "always paranoid" and always working towards the best possible product.
We're always paranoid. We live paranoid. We always want the very best product. And so if we're not beating someone else we're trying to beat the thing that we have currently shipping.

Everybody here lives on edge.
As he often does, Cook spoke about Steve Jobs, reiterating that Jobs' DNA is "deep in the company" even though many of the products that Apple is shipping now were created entirely on Tim's watch, conceptualized after Jobs had passed away. Cook wrapped up the call by wishing an excited Cramer a happy anniversary.

Cook's segment aired on "Mad Money" on CNBC at 6PM Eastern Time.

Article Link: Tim Cook Calls Jim Cramer on 'Mad Money', Talks About Health, ResearchKit and More

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
this is lame

didn't Cook also say recently no common to the car rumors?

Now he's honing up to it?

Really shackled to AAPL, eh Timmy?

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
I loved reading this article. Mostly because I really think Tim is right. Health Kit, and the Apple watch are game changers. And by that I mean they are going to dramatically improve health care as we know it. And the more people who know about this the more it will serve everyone.

Last edited:

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Health Kit, and the Apple watch are game changers. And by that I mean they are going to dramatically improve health care as we know it.

Are you posting Apple press releases?

Using sick people for company PR is something Steve Jobs abysmally hated.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
What I think is interesting is that Apple has done what many said was impossible: it has survived after Jobs with the same magic. It has not faded to become 'just another company'.

Looks like, as with the iPad, iPhone and iPod, Tim Cook as CEO was the right move, even though Steve Jobs was widely criticised for it.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
And so if we're not beating someone else we're trying to beat the thing that we have currently shipping.

I know what Tim Cook meant to say, but this could be misinterpreted as, 'If our product isn't as good as the competition's, we're content with just making the new product better than our old one.'

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
This is so scripted, omg.

Not at all. Did you see the way Cramer kept stuttering and slurring his words when he was trying to think of what to say to Cook. He was extremely caught off guard by the call. You could also tell that by his facial expressions.

oldtaku

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Geeze, I thought Tim had more class than that.

Why not call Coast to Coast with George Noory next and talk about how the Apple Watch can help you talk to ghosts?

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Not at all. Did you see the way Cramer kept stuttering and slurring his words when he was trying to think of what to say to Cook. He was extremely caught off guard by the call. You could also tell that by his facial expressions.

If you think Cook calls in without the host knowing, you don't know anything about television.

Also Cramer is the worst actor on the planet, he's about as authentic as a $10 Apple Watch.

Sofabutt

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Gimmicky advertising from Apple? I guess Apple has peaked...

What with the whole pathetic Apple Watch debut and all. Seriously hings won't get better for Apple for a long time.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
The most interesting takeaway for me was how Tim thinks healthcare will be the biggest opportunity and Apple Watch (presumably) will eventually detect cancer. That would be amazing.

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
The most interesting takeaway for me was how Tim thinks healthcare will be the biggest opportunity and Apple Watch (presumably) will eventually detect cancer. That would be amazing.

Yes and pigs will fly and the whole world will be in peace and we're all going to love Justin Bieber's music.

It's going to be amazing.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I could only get through a minute of that. It DID sound very scripted, and that Cramer guy is just annoying. His looking down every few seconds really leads me to believe that it was scripted.

Why exactly was Cook calling him?

madgick

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Jim you're the best. nonono Tim you're the best! But Jim you highlight innovation and thats why you're the best!! But Tim you run the greatest most bestist company in the world and thats why you're the best. Ohhh thanks Jim. Ohhh thaaaaaanks Tim. You're ass tastes wonderful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.