Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke with Charlie Rose in a two part-interview, and the second segment of the show is airing tonight. In the second half of the interview, Cook focuses on the driving force behind Apple, his own personal values, and the company's thoughts on privacy.

Cook's first comments are on Apple's privacy views, and he says that the company tries to collect as little data about its users as possible. He believes that people "have a right to privacy."

Our view is that when we design a new service we try not to collect data. So we're not reading your email. We're not reading your iMessage. If the government laid a subpoena on us to get your iMessages, we can't provide it. It's encrypted and we don't have a key.

Our business is based on selling [products]. Our business is not based on having information about you. You are not our product.
As he has stated previously, Cook says that no one has backdoor access to Apple's servers. "We would never allow that to happen," he says, repeating his prior statement on the issue. "They would have to cart us out in a box before we would do that."

On his values, Tim Cook says that he believes in treating all people with dignity, regardless of color, religion sexual orientation, and gender. "Everyone deserves respect." Cook goes on to comment on the driving force behind Apple, which he says is a goal to enrich people's lives and change the world, not to be the largest company.
You know, I was at -- I was at Compaq at a time where the objective was to become a $40 billion company. Well, employees don't get excited about that. This isn't something you wake up and you go, "I'm going to take the hill today to do 40" -- I mean, you know? It's just not that. But changing the world? These are the things that people work for. And this pushes people. And so, this is who we are as people. And it's the values of our company. It's been the values of our company forever. And it's to Steve's credit. He put these values in the company... I know I probably said it too many times, but it's a privilege of a lifetime to be there, because I think there's no place like it on Earth."
The first part of the Charlie Rose interview aired on Friday, with Tim Cook speaking about Steve Jobs' continued influence on Apple Products, the company's thoughts on the Apple TV, and the decision to buy Beats Electronics.

During the first half of the interview, Tim Cook also said that Apple is working on products that "no one knows about" and that "haven't been rumored about yet," noting that some of the products may go on to be released while others will be shelved.

Tim Cook's full commentary on Apple and privacy issues will be available when the complete second part of the interview airs later tonight on PBS.

Article Link: Tim Cook Speaks on Privacy in New Interview: 'We Try Not to Collect Data'

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You should have no expectation of privacy for anything that goes to any cloud or server.

That being said, I do trust Apple more than most companies. With their stance on privacy up to this point, I feel they've earned that. Still, the only things that are truly private are those stored in an offline, password protected device or your mind.

Last edited:

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
I would like to believe this is true and *hope* it is true. But I also dont know how much I trust the Govt and its desire to monitor everything.

Not a conspiracy theorist - I literally dont know!

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
I really enjoyed part I of the interview. Cook comes across as very focused and genuine. I'm looking forward to part II.

Agreed. Charlie Rose is a great interviewer; it's obvious he's fascinated with the company and that he's done extensive research over the years on Apple. Part 2 airs tonight in my neck of the woods at 11PM so I'll choose to wait until tomorrow evening to watch. Looking forward to it.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Makes no difference what Apple says. NSA spliced right into the backbone cables, diverting everything to Sparc servers. Frontline had an excellent program on this.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The easiest way to not cooperate with prying government agencies is not even having the data they want in the first place. Because they can't give them what they don't have. All we all know Google is better than any company at collecting people's private data. This is the fundamental difference between Apple and Google as a company when it comes your privacy.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Completely lied about them not holding the encryption keys to iMessage. Users don't hold them... Learn your products mr cook.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
"We try to respect your privacy, but when we feel you should have the new U2 album then we'll force it onto your devices."

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
You know, I was at -- I was at Compaq at a time where the objective was to become a $40 billion company. Well, employees don't get excited about that. This isn't something you wake up and you go, "I'm going to take the hill today to do 40" -- I mean, you know? It's just not that. But changing the world? These are the things that people work for. And this pushes people.

This is good advice on how to run your life, not just your company.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
What about this!??!? MR. COOK?!

Your company is listed!

Attachments

• NSA-slides-explain-the-PRISM-data-collection-program-The-Washington-Post-600x450.png
    NSA-slides-explain-the-PRISM-data-collection-program-The-Washington-Post-600x450.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 750

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..Our business is based on selling [products]. Our business is not based on having information about you. You are not our product.

Article Link: Tim Cook Speaks on Privacy in New Interview: 'We Try Not to Collect Data'

I feel all warm and fuzzy now, after Tim's repeated assurances. These sorts of privacy policies are also a major reason Apple is such a universally well-respected company.

Hmmm, this is so unlike, in fact the polar opposite of, you know who……
But that's too late for you now Eric; without data collection you'd have little left…..

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I hope for the day when Tim Cook stops using the word "Incredddible…"

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The first part of this interview was really good. I'm looking forward to the second part this evening.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
An amount of data collection is inevitable with things such as Siri learning context of things, cloud services etc. but all the same I appreciate it is at least been acknowledged as a thing that people are quite rightly afraid of and they are also doing something about it to keep it to a minimum.

Quite the opposite of the maker of another well known mobile OS...

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Last few seconds tells it all... Tim says the gov won't allow them to release an exact number. So what's to say the gov isn't forbidding a truthful disclosure about any of this? :eek:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
We don't read your iMessage... But they will be analysing it in the watch... They showed that.

I'm thinking that is actually processed on the device.

I'm liking the things Apple has been saying about privacy, it's a far cry from Google's way of doing things.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
'We Try' key words that says a lot about Privacy.

What he means is that they try to create services that use as little information about you to, for instance, personalize the experience for you. iTunes Radio, Siri, and Apple Pay would be examples.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I don't think people understand this data collection stuff at all. It's how any business based on advertising works. People sign up for Facebook in droves, fill out all that info, and therefore you get those highly targeted ads. Your browsers get cookies from everywhere, leading to more targeted ads.

Honestly, I'm sick of it. I always liked Apple more than Google because I could see exactly how Apple made its money. Google makes its money selling search stuff, which means data mining on everybody. We've become an "I don't mind that ad" society that doesn't want to actually pay for stuff because we for some reason think we can get good stuff for free. No, it's never free. Best that I know where the money is going to a company instead of surprisingly being a little marketing subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.