Tim Cook: "Proud to be gay"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Tim finally comes out...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apples-tim-cook-says-proud-112707373.html

Apple's Tim Cook says "proud to be gay"

Oct 30 (Reuters) - Apple Inc Chief Executive Tim Cook publicly came out as gay in an article he wrote in Bloomberg Businessweek.

Cook has never previously acknowledged his sexual orientation.

"So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me," Cook said in the article. (http://buswk.co/1DBoBfo)

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

"So let me be clear: I'm proud to be straight, and I consider being straight among the greatest gifts God has given me."

Why do straight people rarely write this? Because a sexual orientation, identification or behaviour is nothing to be proud of. I don't want to know Tim Cooks sex life. It's none of my business.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Wasn't expecting him to just come out and say it. Go Tim go!

4. Nozuka macrumors 68000

noone seemed to notice the apple watch presentation...

[​IMG]

5. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

Good luck to him; it really shouldn't be an issue in this day and age but I suppose the fact it's a news story and we're here discussing it, suggests that it is.

6. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

While I completely agree with you, I am also of the opinion that a lot of gay kids (or even adults) may still find it difficult to accept their sexual orientation or 'come out' to their friends and family. Having CEOs, sportsmen and women, celebrities and other successful people come out in public about being gay would give a struggling person confidence to know that it's ok to be gay. So while I think it's nothing special, I also think this kind of thing is good to push our societies along in the right direction.

Alex

7. Rogifan thread starter Suspended

Rogifan

I don't get that either. And calling it a "gift from God"? Really Tim? Do you have to bring MLK and God into it?

----------

We're only talking about it because he chose make it public. I think most people knew he was gay but didn't really care.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

He goes on to make it clear why he considers it a gift:

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

USA today's artice beats the **** out of yahoos ;)

http://usat.ly/1tFcPzq

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's important because there are so many gay kids out there who live in West Bum****, Alabama and are told by their parents and everyone else they know that they're sinners, they'll never amount to anything, and they'll burn in hell for being gay. And then after finding absolutely no support amongst the people who should love them, they kill themselves.

Now they can see Tim Cook, who is gay, grew up in West Bum****, Alabama, and went on to become the CEO of one of the largest companies in the world and perhaps the most powerful person in the industry. It might give some hope to these kids out there who thought there was nothing for them in life.

11. Huntn, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe because straight people don't face adversity by virtue of being straight?

Sounds reasoned to me.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Straight people rarely write this because they don't have to.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

It does sound reasoned and explains his statement.

I nevertheless wonder about the discrimination because of sexual orientation thing.
    People you meet do not know wether you are gay or straight, so how exactly does this discrimination look like? How often do people ask you:"Are you gay?" I haven't been asked that question since my teenage years.
    I only see this coming up with wedding photogs, christian cake bakers, wedding chapels or if you rub it in peoples face by dancing naked on a wagon at christopher street day.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.